DSG Driveshaft Seal Leak

Caravelle Dan

VIP Member
Almost a year to the day since having my gearbox stripped and repaired due to the spider gear spline failure I have noticed a leak at the driveshaft seal for the drivers (longer) driveshaft. I will speak to the company that repaired the gearbox on Tuesday and hopefully they will sort it.

However if not, can this seal be replaced with the box in situ? I assume when pulling the driveshaft the nose of the spider shaft will still poke out but after that is it a case of pulling the seal in a similar manner to a crank seal and then replacing? Then topping up the oil as required?

I have identified what I believe is the correct seal and may attempt this myself if it can be done without removing the gearbox.

Thanks.

Not sure whether the seal can be replaced in situ as you describe but before replacing it would be good to identify why it failed and if it was renewed in the recent repair.
Could be the original seal (old), a badly installed new seal, the wrong spec’ seal, worn bearing, worn shaft or over pressure.

Not sure whether the seal can be replaced in situ as you describe but before replacing it would be good to identify why it failed and if it was renewed in the recent repair.
Could be the original seal (old), a badly installed new seal, the wrong spec’ seal, worn bearing, worn shaft or over pressure.
I agree with that. It was a new seal and the shaft is new too. I would like to assume as the shaft was replaced the bearing was checked and was OK. I intend to check the gearbox breather and am hoping it was a poorly fitted or poor quality seal. It has done about 8000 miles and only lately started leaking.

Back