Flat battery?

Carp catcher

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have just been out to start the van, flat battery.
I noticed yesterday that the interior lights did not stay on when the door was opened, as they would normally do,& then fade out after approx 30 seconds after the door was shut, they just went out after approx 30 seconds, no fade out as usual, just turned off.
Has anyone any ideas as to where to start looking?

The guy tested the battery & found it to have 11.4 volts, flat.
He said I had 2 options, new battery or charge the old one as dellmassive had said & se if that resolves the issue.
I don't have a smart charger, I didn't realise I needed one, so that's something else I can buy now!
I went for the new battery as I need the van today,so hopefully it it all sorted.
The guy carried out a check on the alternator & starter motor & said they where fine, so hopefully everything is now sorted out.

How long had the van been left before you found you had a flat battery ?

Pete

He said I had 2 options, new battery or charge the old one as dellmassive had said & se if that resolves the issue.
I don't have a smart charger, I didn't realise I needed one, so that's something else I can buy now!
I went for the new battery as I need the van today,so hopefully it it all sorted.
The guy carried out a check on the alternator & starter motor & said they where fine, so hopefully everything is now sorted out.
Did the new battery get adapted after it was fitted?

You have to wonder if the battery and charge system are up to the job really, my T5 was 10years old and still on the original Varta battery when I sold it. I approach the T6 on every cold morning thinking is it going to go or not.

We transferred from our old motorhome a battery maintainer which worked perfectly without drawing to much from leisure battery. Been fitted now since January this year and vehicle battery never goes below 12.8volts whilst parked up (sometimes for weeks in end).

This one:

You have to wonder if the battery and charge system are up to the job really, my T5 was 10years old and still on the original Varta battery when I sold it. I approach the T6 on every cold morning thinking is it going to go or not.
Less overall charge in a T6.. as it keeps 20% free for regenerative braking.

If you don't want to get stuck ...

Get your own jump starter, that's what we all do. (I say we, but obviously not everyone)

That way instead of calling the AA you just jumpstart yourself.

See here: Which Jump Starter?

And get yourself a smart charger:

It's worth mentioning that short drive cycles will never full charge the battery this time of year (winter).

It's all lights,heater, seats etc so a big draw on the electrics.... You need a good 1-3hr drive to recharge the battery fully.

So get a smart charger and put the van on charge over night now and again.

Once a week, once a fortnight, once a month, . . . Whatever is needed, depending on how often you use the van and how long you drive it for.

Here are some BM-2 , BM-3 plots showing my battery voltage s. - Battery Monitoring -- How I Done It --

The purple trace is the starter and green trace is the LB (currently a Poweroad 100ah lithium charged via a ctek d250se @ 20A )

Screenshot_20211209-055439_Multi-Batt Mon.jpgScreenshot_20211209-055427_Multi-Batt Mon.jpgScreenshot_20211209-055411_Multi-Batt Mon.jpgScreenshot_20211209-055357_Multi-Batt Mon.jpgScreenshot_20211206-144720_Multi-Batt Mon.jpgScreenshot_20211207-055636_Poweroad.jpgScreenshot_20211206-213816.jpg

I have a jump starter but find it annoying that my discovery sport can stand 10 weeks and still start straight off and the T6 turns over like a slow gramophone record if left for a week. We paid for a premium work horse and received a very poor Lada. Vw baulk at changing batteries inside warranty periods knowing they built a second rate electrical system into the T6 and are not admitting it or any other problem. The soap box is now vacant.

We transferred from our old motorhome a battery maintainer which worked perfectly without drawing to much from leisure battery. Been fitted now since January this year and vehicle battery never goes below 12.8volts whilst parked up (sometimes for weeks in end).

This one:
OOI - what have you got on the LB side? . . . . so whats feeding the starter via this device, and how large capacity?

I've been using the AMT12-2 ( I've got it on Anderson plugs so i can plug it in/out as and when) -

1639219320831.png

OOI - what have you got on the LB side? . . . . so whats feeding the starter via this device, and how large capacity?
It was 120amp AGM until 2 weeks ago now the LB is LiFePO4 12.8V 180Ah. I have 200watt (10.5amp) solar on the roof, so everything ticks along like clockwork.

Feed from LB to vehicle.

It was 120amp AGM until 2 weeks ago now the LB is LiFePO4 12.8V 180Ah. I have 200watt (10.5amp) solar on the roof, so everything ticks along like clockwork.
very nice, what brand Lithium did you go with?

did you keep the old battery . . . . ?

take it home and charge it with your new charger. - it might be ok.

you need a tester like this to test it properly. ( fully charge first, then connect to the tester for the results)

1639224118491.png

1639224170871.png

I have kept the old battery & will now buy a smart charger to keep it as a spare.
The RAC man did re code the van to the new battery.
Everything has been working fine today.
In reality, the van doesn't get used very much as I use my scooter to go to work on.
It stands there sometimes not started for a couple of weeks, which I know isn't good for the van.
The interior lights not working as they should was the first warning, its very clever that the van appeared to be trying to save power by turning the interior lights off, & I now know about the smart charger , which is a new idea for me, which I didn't realise

If I can resurrect this. I’ve had a similar issue today. Took the van out for approx a 20 mile drive a few days before Christmas and then was parked up till today. Came out to go out in it and battery flat. Had to call VW Assist who sent a AA van out to me. The AA guy got it jump started and also ran a test on the battery. His computer he uses to test the battery found no parasitic drain on the vehicle or the battery was knackered. But it perplexed him as to why the battery would flatten in just 10 days?

Back