Fuel gauge issue

Disciple72

Evening all,
I've got a slight issue with my fuel gauge. I had a flat battery over the weekend so put it on charge and hoped that was that. Unfortunately it's never that simple is it! On starting the van up the fuel gauge was showing zero. I took it out for a run knowing I had just under half a tank, slowly but surely the gauge started to creep up as did the estimated miles of fuel left, however the gauge then started dropping like a stone, approx 30 miles of fuel according to the gauge/display after only covering less than 10 miles. After lunch today the gauge appeared to have climbed slightly after a short run out, but know where near as much as it should have. I've just been out in it again now and the gauge/display dropped 50miles for a 21.5 mile journey. Any one got and ideas what the Jeffin hell is going on with it?

Cheers

Check your battery voltage.

If you've had a few flat batteries it might not be in the best of health and dragging down the voltage even on charge.

Getting about 11.8v when I put the meter on it, but even that wouldn't start it. Had to get jump leads to turn it over

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could give me any more advice on this, my van runs great, but is still suffering with this fuel gauge issue from when I first posted on 18th Jan

I had a similar issue recently after changing the main starter battery. I know I had at least half a tank but the gauge was not moving from near the bottom, driving and restarting the van the few times didn’t help. Wondering if the float in the tank was stuck (would seem strange) I thought I’d drop by a fuel station. Added around 20 litres, started the van and the gauge came up straight away! No issues since. Hopefully yours is a simple fix too!

Back