Euro 6 remap

I'd never recommend any piggy back chips, fooling modern engines is never a good idea. Previously had 3 cars remapped by Simon @ emaps near Stoke, all cars are still running and had no issues in over 3 plus years they have been done and only £350.

All vehicles are mapped, remapping does not mean you don't take care of them, it means you want to release more of the potential that is being restricted by silly regulations ;)
Would you buy a remapped vehicle? I wouldn't nor would the majority of people.

If done properly and with service history and remap details. No issue for me but it would need history.

It's no different from bodywork, resprays etc. You want it done properly.

The 102, 84 etc are simply turned down/electronically limited, hugely to cater for lower insurance brackets/economy demands/bosses wanting employees to drive sensibly.

My 102 T5 has been faultless since a remap 3-4 years ago and drives so much better. Is about 160 and could go higher if the 5 speed box could handle it, what a gutless slug it was before, can;t imagine how pants a stock 84 would be!

Can see nothing at all wrong or off putting with it being done if done by a reputable company. Would save me forking out to have it done, be a plus.

Reactions: CRD
What is the problem with the 5 speed box and remapping realistically? Is it going to fall apart instantly or is it a case of if it's driven sensibly in normal use it would be fine or would it eventually fail anyway? It seems to me that unless it's being driven hard then there should be no reason for the 5 speed to fail

I personally wouldn't consider remapping a vehicle, or buying one that had been. I would have thought that anything mechanical that transmits more power /torque than it was designed for is going to wear out /fail sooner.

I personally wouldn't consider remapping a vehicle, or buying one that had been. I would have thought that anything mechanical that transmits more power /torque than it was designed for is going to wear out /fail sooner.

Engines are capable of handling more power than what they come with as standard as are the other components. As someone pointed out all engine options in the T6 (except the 204ps) are the same 2.0 diesel engines but just mapped differently. Is the 84ps more reliable than the 150ps, probably nothing in it i imagine.

Engines are capable of handling more power than what they come with as standard as are the other components. As someone pointed out all engine options in the T6 (except the 204ps) are the same 2.0 diesel engines but just mapped differently. Is the 84ps more reliable than the 150ps, probably nothing in it i imagine.
No I agree with that but the 5 speed is not used in anything bigger than the 102 after that the 6 speed is used. Is the 6 speed actually stronger than the 5 or is it just different gear ratios?

No I agree with that but the 5 speed is not used in anything bigger than the 102 after that the 6 speed is used. Is the 6 speed actually stronger than the 5 or is it just different gear ratios?

I cant answer that as very new to the T6 however most likely gearing ratios.

The last 5 speed box in the T5.1 was made of soft cheese. Hopefully the new one is better.

I spent three years looking at all things engineering (Swansea Uni) then in a job and tolerances are there for a reason.

If a bridges absolute weight limit is 5 tonnes, it'll be restricted to maybe 3.5 tonnes but keep driving 4.5 tonne vehicles over it ignoring the engineers safety limit and that bridge will collapse way sooner than if the 3.5 tonne limit was adhered to.

Similar with a remap and I do question a small number of armchair engineers who think they know better than multi billion pound manufacturer R&D departments (except the H4 lights one; they should be fired).

Totally fundamental physics dictates more power and torque equals faster wear. Faster wear equals less reliability. Less reliability means things break. And that'll cost way more than the remap.

Are you still fuming about brakes?!?!?! Lol

I dont think 30 or 40 more bhp reduces reliability in any significant way but agree things will obviously wear more, thats just a given.

Im not sure if the armchair comment was aimed at me however whilst I have limited knowledge I do know from various people who work in said departments that regulations often dictate power outputs more than the physical components.

What is the problem with the 5 speed box and remapping realistically? Is it going to fall apart instantly or is it a case of if it's driven sensibly in normal use it would be fine or would it eventually fail anyway? It seems to me that unless it's being driven hard then there should be no reason for the 5 speed to fail
I'm pally with the main man at DNA Tuning (based in the same village) and from what I remember him saying (and you will read on the web) is that the 5 speed box can only handle so much torque/power delivered in such a big hit (needs to be a smooth delivery of power managed by the remap) while the 6 can handle more.

I think I did see some torque figures about, the gearboxes rated in newton metres and as long as the remaps are kept comfortably within these limits guessing it's safe. The 84ps is somewhere near half the limit.

The 84ps - 140/150ps engines are otherwise identical. The gearboxes identical on the 84 and 102ps, that's 22% more power based 100% on programming - no hardware differences, purely a software limitation.

Will be getting my 180 van coming soon mapped without a doubt at some point.

(to add to this apparently when I bought my 3y old t5, it might have had a new gearbox under warranty under the stock map while a lease van - sometimes things just fail - been faultless since I've had it apart from a £50 fuel regulator going.)

You could get a slight remap if you were worried about stressing things that much, but teh most important thing IMO is a reputable re-mapper like DNA Tuning.

Last edited:
The diffs in the 5 speed are spot welded. That's the weak point. Vag do this in most of their 5 speeds. Quite common. That's what failed in mine.

Diesels are strong naturally. Heavy pistons and blocks to handle the higher boost pressures. I'm not worried.

Honda managed to get 100bhp per litre or off their vtec engines in the 90s. Which I think all engines should be capable of doing, na or boosted.

At the end of the day.... each to their own. I do 25k a year and I'm remapped so we will see just how reliable it is in due time.

I know there were issues with 5 speed boxes in T5s (?5.1s) and the fail rate was quite bad if they were mapped putting more power/load through them, not sure how much they have changed for T6

So assuming that the 84 ps 5 speed can be mapped safely to 160 ps, i assume that the top gear ratio stays the same. I can only assume that its somewhere between 4th and 5th on the correct 6 speed box. How much fun is that ?

Back