Euro 6 remap

They would after a few hairpins...!
Again it's about heat control. Hence why I mentioned it. Bigger brakes fade far less add they can hold more heat and will stop now consistently with higher heat. Actual stopping distance is governed by weight and tyres only.
You can lock the wheels easily on standard brakes therefore capable.
I know what I'm talking about. I have a degree in automotive design and engineering.

Just to stick it out there. We are a DTUK dealers, and have supplied many tuning boxes for both petrol cars, and all of the transporter range from 102, all the way to 204PS. Im running one on my 204, its as smooth as stock and goes like a train. Happy to demo to anyone in the area, or bring your own van in and we can fit a box for you to demo.

Again it's about heat control. Hence why I mentioned it. Bigger brakes fade far less add they can hold more heat and will stop now consistently with higher heat. Actual stopping distance is governed by weight and tyres only.
You can lock the wheels easily on standard brakes therefore capable.
I know what I'm talking about. I have a degree in automotive design and engineering.

You'd better tell BMW, Porsche, Merc, Ferrari, Alfa, etc etc to stop wasting their time sticking big brakes on their top models.
Oh and RR and others who put big brakes on their SUVs.
And the guys on here who have upgraded their brakes.
Because we can all lock our brakes (funny, I swear the T6 has anti lock brakes...) so should only fit weeny little saucer disks onto our 20" alloys (if there's one look that's REALLY bad it's teeny brakes inside massive wheels) and be done with it.
Brembo and similar; waste of time.

You'd better tell BMW, Porsche, Merc, Ferrari, Alfa, etc etc to stop wasting their time sticking big brakes on their top models.
Oh and RR and others who put big brakes on their SUVs.
And the guys on here who have upgraded their brakes.
Because we can all lock our brakes (funny, I swear the T6 has anti lock brakes...) so should only fit weeny little saucer disks onto our 20" alloys (if there's one look that's REALLY bad it's teeny brakes inside massive wheels) and be done with it.
Brembo and similar; waste of time.

I don't think you're hearing me.
Big brakes reduce brake fade. All these vehicles you listed are either over 2 tones or are performance cars that will need big brakes to overcome brake fade in a situation the car is designed for..ie spirited drive with high stress from either weight or high speed. Looks is also a massive part. Slotted and drilled discs really do squat all but customers want it for looks.

At the end of the day the limiting factor all these car companies have is the fact they have to use legal road tyres and he'll is limited.
F1 brakes are small at 278mm but the discs are carbon ceramic to cope with heat as well as air ducts etc and the stopping distance comes from the tyres they use and low weight.

You can keyboard bash youre opinions on big brakes and big wheels but please have a look online and research why "big brakes don't equal more stopping power".

On a side note I have upgraded to bigger brakes on both my car and van. Stopping distance was the same. However the car it's for a fast road spirited drive so the improved heat capabilities help and bigger brakes do have more bite.
The van was merely for looks under 20" wheels. It certainly didn't need bigger brakes.

So a 2++ tonne van doing 70++ doesn't need much stopping power?

Oh my, this can never end.

You upgrade for LOOKS and nothing else.

Fitting massive wheels then saying brakes basically don't matter is the epitome of style over substance.

I will never ever get it.

Thank gawd.

So a 2++ tonne van doing 70++ doesn't need much stopping power?

No, the stopping power is more than adiquate from stock. The bigger brake option will and should be applied to all heavier load vehciles like the t30-t32 as the higher weight will mean more brake heat. Not sure why the T6 is so varied on brake setup.

But yes i upgraded for looks on the van. Each to their own.

I don't understand why bigger brakes are important, apart from the aesthetics, we have a speed limit of 70mph, so a remapped 204ps van with the same tyres as a standard 102ps van would require the same braking force to stop?????? Surely massive breaks are only really needed for track days when hammering it into bends.

I love it; we have many members with small brakes desperately wanting bigger ones then we have a few telling us bigger brakes aren't needed.

Ours is a 2.6 tonne house; I wanted the biggest, most powerful brakes I can get.

Same with any car or vehicle. Many want a magic computer remap, I want powerful brakes. Simple physics tells us bigger brakes are more powerful. A simple observation of the car market shows engineers agree

Making a vehicle go faster without matching the brakes to the job is simply daft.

But then so are most mods that apparently make cars/vans "unique" but actually all look the same.

Engine breaking, that's what I use. Never had to change my discs or pads for the 80,000 miles I owned my previous T5, mind you never drive it like a sports car or fully loaded.

Bugger, missed that one, 'braking', sorry, will try harder in future.

Just going back to the big brake argument, it's all about how much heat energy the brake unit can absorb. As long as the friction available between the brake pads and the disk is greater than the friction between the tyre and the road you have the shortest stopping distance available, bigger brakes will not stop you quicker.

All T6 brakes can do this. Once. However if repeated braking occurs the heat will build up. The larger a braking system is the more heat energy is required to reach a certain temperature. Once a brake unit reaches a particular temperature it starts to fade. Therefore a large brake unit allows for more braking effort before fading occurs.

The first issue is converting kinetic energy to heat energy. All the brake sizes will do one emergency stop from 70 no problem. Smaller units will then need to cool before being asked to work hard again. Larger units will allow several maximum effort stops before requiring a cooling period.

The other issue is converting potential energy into heat energy. If you are descending a long hill and are being lazy and are riding the brakes the whole way down, smaller brakes will heat faster and fade earlier, bigger brakes will heat slower and you may even get to the bottom before they fade, and at the bottom you stop using them allowing them to cool down.

Powerful cars have larger brakes because they may have to do a maximum effort stop every four seconds (the 0-60 time). Slow cars take 20 or so seconds to build up speed so the brakes get a cooling period before each stopping effort. Expensive cars get big brakes because the motoring press and customers would hammer them if they suffered from brake fade even if badly driven or on a track.

So in conclusion, a good driver doesn't need bigger brakes, and big brakes won't stop you quicker with a one off braking event. However big brakes will absorb more energy before they start to fade, and may be a wise investment if you have a heavy T6 and spend a lot of time in the Alps or Lake District, or you take it on track days, or rag the crap out of it on A/B roads.

Plus big brakes look awesome.

Hope that helps, back to work!

DP

@RattyMcClelland and @Danger have it right. Its about resistance to fade and also aesthetics, and lets face it not many people are going to rag a T6 to death so for the vast majority its for the looks. And nothing wrong with that.

Exactly the same on my mountain bike where I have big rotors, partly to prevent heat fade on long descents and partly for looks. Its pretty clear that even the smallest brakes could easily lock the wheels in normal conditions

Yep any brakes that can lock wheels means bigger brake won't help. And yes even abs vehicles can lock wheels.
Better tyres will stop wheels locking as the tyres grip better this showing the vehicle down quicker.
What to reduce stopping distance? Less weight and more tyre grip.
What to reduce brake fade? Bigger rotors and higher temperature threshold brake pads and more pots to even out pads contact and heat distribution.

No 204 hasnt yet. All Euro 6 T6s use the Dephi DCM 6.2 ecu and it has only just been cracked. All Euro 5 T6s are still mappable.
Some tuners are confusing the euro5/6 swapover.
Celtic are the first i have seen of the Delphi ECu. I know Pendle has finished development.
Sorry to bring things back to basics but how do I find out which ecu I have got with my T6 2016 1.9tdi bluemotion t-line?

Back