EPB Retrofit ... the way to Stop & Go

Ladies and gentlemen, let me present you my (world's first?)
VW Transporter/Multivan/Caravelle T6 with Electronic Parking Brake :D

I just need to complete the wiring of my PARKING BRAKE indicator in INSTRUMENT CLUSTER and AUTO HOLD.

The skills of people on this forum never fail to amaze me.

Pete

My play with EPB switches has come to the successful end :).

View attachment 109573View attachment 109574

Unfortunately, as posted here, switch 5N0927225B is not direct replacement for 56D927225.

Unit 5N0927225B uses 6 pins for actual EPB switch with 2 internal capacitors and unit 56D927225 uses 4 pins with 4 internal diodes.
Additionally micro switches are also different, first one has 2 x (separate N/O contacts & separate N/C contacts) against second one with 2 x ( double N/O, C, N/C).

Taking into account the size of internal PCB and SMD components I decided to transfer 2 micro switches from 56D927225 to 5N0927225B.
Illumination and all indicators are used directly from 5N0 PCB with 56D micro switches wired externally to the 56D PCB.

What's worth to mention is that unit 5N0927225B is identical physically and electronically to 5N0927225A.

Alternative method and probably much more straightforward would be to use 7N0927225B unit.
It uses 16 pin plug (part number 1K0927928).
Pins 1, 2, 3 & 4 correspond directly to the wiring of 56D927225 unit.
Pin 5(+) & 6(-) are for illumination.
Pin 9(+) & 10(-) are for EPB ON indicator.
Pin 12(-) & 13(+) are for Auto Hold indicator.
Pin 13(+) & 14(+) are for Auto Hold switch.
Remaining 5 pins are not in use.

Summarising all 3 (16 pin) units mentioned above 5N0927225A, 5N0927225B & 7N0927225B look identical externally
but only 7N0927225B has the same electronic internals as 56D927225 :thumbsup:.

View attachment 109575
View attachment 109576
Looks Great Robert

So i got the Unit from @Robert for analysis.
It had the same hole, the SPI eeprom was changed.
But on Robert's unit they made the soldering bad, so a short between Pins 5 (Data) and 6 (Clock) was making problems.
I repaired this, but still unit is Dead.
I measured 5V from Pin 8 (VCC) to 4 (VSS) so part is placed correctly. And unit is working a bit, at least 5V Power works :)
I guess this is a Audi EPB that was converted to 56D by changing SPI eeprom contend, and on @Robert Unit they forgot to programm Eeprom.

Attached the Picture to see short.
View attachment 108063

I could not read Eeprom when installed.
I will desolder it and read it externally to validate.
I have the eeprom of my module if you want to have it Dennis. But i cannot upload it.

My instrument cluster parking brake indication light wiring has also been completed. This wasn't very complicated but a bit tricky.
Basically when parking brake is applied, the manual version produces GND ( - ) signal and the EPB produces 12V DC ( + ).
Additionally this 12V line out of EPB is being monitored for malfunctions. And this means that current draw has to be within a very specific range.
Typical automotive relay works, IC indicating light comes on but EPB registers DTC complaining about short to GND.
This is the result of excessive current being pulled @ 130mA(typical for majority of ordinary automotive relays).
20210326_135033.jpg

So my solution was to use specific type of solid state relay which takes only (6-7)mA :thumbsup:.
20210331_165803.jpg20210331_171043.jpg

All of the above is the result of PQ25 platform IC not being prepared for EPB.
I am lazy but I am sure experts like @dnoermann will implement appropriate modification directly on IC PCB.
It is only few SMT components to be re-soldered :).

My demo video below ;).
I know it is show off but what can I do :laugh:.

Ok, i just desoldered the SPI Eeprom from Roberts Unit, sinze i could not read/write it while it was installed.
But outside it is not working, too.
So, Roberts Unit does have a broken Flash, hoefully the only issue.
Will order a new chip and see.

@pulken can you confirm that in your Unit there was a ST M95320 Eeeprom, too ?

Ok, i just desoldered the SPI Eeprom from Roberts Unit, sinze i could not read/write it while it was installed.
But outside it is not working, too.
So, Roberts Unit does have a broken Flash, hoefully the only issue.
Will order a new chip and see.

@pulken can you confirm that in your Unit there was a ST M95320 Eeeprom, too ?
Sure is.

WIN_20210405_12_05_28_Pro.jpg

So DOKIAUTO is trying to sell a whole bunch of EPB controllers which are someone's mass conversion fiasco?
Clearly there are at least 4 purchased controllers of which 3 are faulty for sure but some of these have different issues.
I wonder if this is result of bad quality control or is it a pure scam?

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
So DOKIAUTO is trying to sell a whole bunch of EPB controllers which are someone's mass conversion fiasco?
Clearly there are at least 4 purchased controllers of which 3 are faulty for sure but some of these have different issues. I wonder if this is result of bad quality control or pure scam?
Im pretty sure Doki was scammed by another seller, same as AIDU is with this module. Now they want us to cover the loss of their mistake.

Im pretty sure Doki was scammed by another seller, same as AIDU is with this module. Now they want us to cover the loss of their mistake.
Have you got a link to AIDU listing?

Reactions: mmi
Back