EPB Retrofit ... the way to Stop & Go

For the ambitious T6/t5 retrofitters.
danman is using a car which does have an ABS that supports Autohold ... :) probably no T6
For the T6 we first need to patch ABS to support Autohold ....
Already working on it
Correct, sorry for misleading info, I have Touran and this is T6 forum.

Hi there,

I'm from Germany, owning an Eos cabrio and like to retrofit the EPB into the car.
For now my unique Eos (PQ35/PQ46) is equipped with DM, 7N0 ACC, 3Q0 camera, 2Q0 RTA and some minor things.
As I found no other thread with so much knowledge concerning EPB, I've registered an account to share some information.

For realisation I've bought a 56D Control unit at Aliexpress years ago. Now, realizing the project, I thought my unit was also a fake, like so many others but i've figured out, it isn't.
At my "Car On The Table" I could reach and code the unit. Then I was building the cable tree with components from a Sharan cable tree, connected the Module and - nothing.
Verifying the cable tree shows that everything was ok.
After that, I could reach the unit for just one or two times, using a short adapter with Kl.31 (28+30), Kl.30 (13+15), Kl.15 (22) and CAN-Antrieb (16 high + 17 low). Since then, the unit does not respond anymore.
So I've opend it to see, if there was any visible fault. There was none. At that I've desoldered and read the EEPROM (attached for those of you, who are interested. Rename .csv to .bin).

Does anybody have a suggestion, why my Control unit does not work anymore from one minute to the other?

Best regards
Marc

Attachments

• 56D907801A.csv
    4 KB · Views: 21
... For realisation I've bought a 56D Control unit at Aliexpress years ago. Now, realizing the project, I thought my unit was also a fake, like so many others but i've figured out, it isn't.
Is there a hole under the sticker of your 56D unit?
Can you see VW logo on this sticker?

hard to say what is wrong, maybe CPU faulty, maybe wake up signal missing , or no signal, maybe CAN bus transeiver faulty ,
Yes, I also thought about the CAN bus transceiver, because it was only working with the short cable. So, this is first to try.

Hi there,

I'm from Germany, owning an Eos cabrio and like to retrofit the EPB into the car.
For now my unique Eos (PQ35/PQ46) is equipped with DM, 7N0 ACC, 3Q0 camera, 2Q0 RTA and some minor things.
As I found no other thread with so much knowledge concerning EPB, I've registered an account to share some information.

For realisation I've bought a 56D Control unit at Aliexpress years ago. Now, realizing the project, I thought my unit was also a fake, like so many others but i've figured out, it isn't.
At my "Car On The Table" I could reach and code the unit. Then I was building the cable tree with components from a Sharan cable tree, connected the Module and - nothing.
Verifying the cable tree shows that everything was ok.
After that, I could reach the unit for just one or two times, using a short adapter with Kl.31 (28+30), Kl.30 (13+15), Kl.15 (22) and CAN-Antrieb (16 high + 17 low). Since then, the unit does not respond anymore.
So I've opend it to see, if there was any visible fault. There was none. At that I've desoldered and read the EEPROM (attached for those of you, who are interested. Rename .csv to .bin).

Does anybody have a suggestion, why my Control unit does not work anymore from one minute to the other?

Best regards
Marc
Does it click when it starts? Do you have some CAN logger to see if it is sending some messages? Mine sends two types:
- 1472 mEPB_1
- 1849 NMH_EPB

Is there a hole under the sticker of your 56D unit?
Can you see VW logo on this sticker?
No, no hole and the EEPROM was not resoldered. VW logo is on the sticker and the print is in relatively high resolution.
On my module, the sticker was cut of by knife at the place were the hole coud be. It seems that my seller has proved my unit before shipping.

Last edited:
Does it click when it starts? Do you have some CAN logger to see if it is sending some messages? Mine sends two types:
- 1472 mEPB_1
- 1849 NMH_EPB
Yes, it clicks at Kl.30 and every time at Kl.15.
Thx for the Tip with the CAN messages. Not thought about that. I own the Dieselschrauber CAN-Logger and will give this a try.
Does yours send the messages during initialisation after Kl.15?

No, no hole and the EEPROM was not resoldered. VW logo is on the sticker and the print is in relatively high resolution.
On my module, the sticker was cut of by knife at the place were the hole coud be. It seems that my seller has proved my uit before shipping.
So sounds like your 56D unit could be a genuine VW product.

Reactions: mmi
Yes, it clicks at Kl.30 and every time at Kl.15.
Thx for the Tip with the CAN messages. Not thought about that. I own the Dieselschrauber CAN-Logger and will give this a try.
Does yours send the messages during initialisation after Kl.15?
I think all the time.

At that I've desoldered and read the EEPROM (attached for those of you, who are interested. Rename .csv to .bin).
your EPP is empty
if you write it back, now it could be faulty and not communicate .
check your dumps first, or check what f

My EPB Auto Apply design (OEM factory fit alike!) works if one of the following conditions are met and vehicle is either stationary or on the move up to 7km/h.
1. Ignition is being switched OFF.
2. Ignition ON and drivers door is opened.
3. Ignition ON and drivers seat belt is unfastened.

I was also considering DSG lever in P position but in my subjective opinion it would be an overkill.
I was so wrong, it's not an overkill,
actually having EPB automatically engaged via DSG in PARK position
is a cherry on top of my convenience cake :thumbsup:

I have replaced my rear brake pads for the very first time since my EPB retrofit.
It is so cool to do the windback with the VCDS and not with a mechanical tool.
Additionally, Instrument Cluster PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR is producing flashing warning during pads replacement procedure.

I have replaced my rear brake pads for the very first time since my EPB retrofit.
It is so cool to do windback with VCDS and not with a mechanical tool.
Additionally Instrument Cluster PARKING BRAKE INDICATION is producing flashing warning during replacement procedure.

I never thought that I would say that,
"what a lovely fault code to have":inlove:

Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 56D-907-801.CLB
Control Module Part Number: 56D 907 801 B HW: 56D 907 801 B
Component and/or Version: EPB-4 H05 0005
Software Coding: 0F3355
Work Shop Code: WSC 12345 123 12345
ASAM Dataset: EV_ParkiBrakeTRWVW411 002007 (VN75)
ROD: EV_ParkiBrakeTRWVW411.rod
VCID: 2A0CFB4F0C73678BB1B-807E
1 Fault Found:

721152 - Brake Pad Replacement Mode Active
C1011 00 [000] - -
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

The truth about EPB revealed itself.

My Caravelle, Multivan(you name it :D ) has just passed successfully it's first periodical inspection test with the EPB onboard :thumbsup:.

It was a pass on the first attempt so I am very happy and proud of my work.
Again credit to @dnoermann for the inspiration.

Below is a comparison of my test results.
Manual/Mechanical Parking Brake(test conducted on 14/09/2020)
20221014_225451.jpg
Electronic Parking Brake (test conducted on 14/10/2022)
20221014_222815.jpg

Parking Brake performance has risen from 21% to 26%.
Rear axle brake effort also went up on both sides :waving:

Hi guys, I'm thinking about fitting the EPB system as presented here to the Polo 6R.
It's also a PQ25 car and it can share many retrofits to the T5.1 and T6 like HBA, SWA and the DM system.
It will probably run into the same issues as seen before like the auto hold function missing from the ABS. And it has a Euro 5 norm engine (CAY).

I'll go down the route of the 7N0 switch with hopefully a 56D module. Does anyone have a 56D module for sale, since it's very difficult to find, apart from aliexpress.

So I downloaded the wiring scheme for the MY2016+ Passat NMS for China. I think it's fairly straight forward regarding the EPB button and a lot of 2,5mm2 wire.
Regarding the auto hold button, how did you connect it? To the module /7 and /4 like PQ35? In my wiring scheme it's connected to the ABS module.

By default the Autohold on T6 ABS module MK100 is disabled in the firmware and therfore it is not available (yet :whistle:).

Reactions: mmi
Yes, I've seen that coming back in the tread. I'm afraid that my PQ25 Bosch ESP9.0i will also not support it, at least not by default. But I did notice your auto hold button light coming on when pressed. Is that a response from the EPB controller or is it wired to something else?

For my Polo I ordered a pair of 3C0613403H and 3C0613404H calipers to do some test fitting.

Back