EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

Hi also just joined this thread as just noticed today fume smell in cab and same whoosing noise and thanks to all your threads, popped the bonnet and felt around the pipe carefully and loads of air escaping, mines a 204 2WD done 20K miles, just booked it in under warranty so hopefully the'll replace it with the new modified type but I least I know there is a modified type so I can check.

Same as me, 204 and mine went at 20k too.

Just done mine (2018 DSG, 40500 miles). There was a choice of two from TPS, a short one and a longer one depending on the manifold. Mine was the short one like the photos above, but the new one now has more/tighter packed bellows, and costs £88.61. Wouldn't have been too bad to change if I hadn't drop two bolts (and if you can't find them they will be jst in front of the DSG filter, and aren't magnetic).
Can I ask for part number, please?
I think I have the same problem.
@Tourershine ?

Reactions: mmi
@Tourershine ?

I'm not with any of my paperwork at the moment, but I think it just goes on your Reg number, although I don't know if there are any variants.

Edit:

Just found this picture I sent to another member who had my spare pipe, The part number is next to the word 'Pipe' if you can zoom in and see it.

20200630_163323.jpg

@Tourershine ?
Okay, it is confirmed, my pipe also cracked.
20200906_124213.jpg

My original pipe part number was 04L131521H
Screenshot_20200905-214837_Gallery.jpg

and I have replaced it with 04L131521BH
Screenshot_20200905-214920_Gallery.jpg

The difference can be seen below.
20200904_205017.jpg20200904_205001.jpg

Old one is made out of formed stainless steel and the new one is SS and machined cast.
Also there is huge difference in the actual flexibility of the flex section.
Additionally new pipe 04L131521BH is approximately 50% heavier than the old one!

Simple job but awkward access and the fact that I dropped my bolts 3 times turned into few hours! :eek:
Two bolts on the exhaust manifold side are non magnetic so if you drop any of them you won't lift it with a magnet, disaster! o_O

that EGR pipe went on my T6 BiTDI DSG, lucky I got it done under Warranty, it a know fault with some of the T6 range that the orrigianl pipe fails on the ribs, the vw tech said the replacement is a modiefied design to reduce further failure

I emailed DVSA about this. Got a bog standard reply requesting an engineers report, despite copying the links on here showing how many folk had this issue.

One for BBC Watchdog perhaps.

Reactions: DXX
I've recently been smelling exhaust fumes so had a look today and found that my pipe has split Kombi 2017 204 29K so out of warranty.

Need to order a new one, What's the chance of TPS in Trafford selling to me (I read they don't sell to the public!) or do I need to go to the dealer and get charged more for the privilege.
Greenshot 2020-09-21 12.38.02.png
Simon

Discovered I've joined this club today, been smelling fumes on regen for a while now, had a look around the engine this afternoon and got the cracked pipe as above. Coming up for 40,000 miles so I'll get it done when it goes in for dsg and haldex service.

My front pipe has split on my 2017 T6 150, and getting fumes in the cab now. Has anyone got the part numbers for these??
TIA

So my front and rear pipes were both leaking slightly. Got those replaced, along with a new EGR.

Last edited:
Just a quick update.
My dealer in Leicester contacted me this morning saying not to drive the vehicle due to the damage it will cause :confused: and they cannot get it in till the end of August, which obviously doesn't work for me. They did suggest taking it elsewhere, getting another van centre to recover it, but told them I'd fix it myself.

Ordered part from TPS, be here tomorrow and all of £20 with vat, so ordered 2 just in case this starts to become a common problem.

It looks like an easy 4 bolt job, but I will let you know tomorrow.

What was the part number out of interest think mine has cracked can feel escaping gases from the same area

I wonder whether a split flexi will allow boost to leak out slightly as it’ll try to escape out of the inlet manifold through the EGR if there’s a hole. If it does that, the van may over fuel as it thinks it has more air than it actually does... could soot up the DPF more quickly. :oops:

I’ve got a t6 2015
I had the small egr pipe on the back of engine replaced about 300 miles ago because it had a crack in it

just drive it from Kent to Bournemouth
as I come of motorway sounded like exhaust manifold fell off

I took to kiwi fit they advised me egr pipe at back of egr that bolts to manifold had broke it had actually fallen out the centre of the pipe

Has anyone had this before we’re it keeps braking pipes or why it would even happen

thanks

I’ve got a t6 2015
I had the small egr pipe on the back of engine replaced about 300 miles ago because it had a crack in it

just drive it from Kent to Bournemouth
as I come of motorway sounded like exhaust manifold fell off

I took to kiwi fit they advised me egr pipe at back of egr that bolts to manifold had broke it had actually fallen out the centre of the pipe

Has anyone had this before we’re it keeps braking pipes or why it would even happen

thanks

Not heard of this happening before. Was it the old style pressed steel type pipe with 5 corrugations or the cast one with more corrugations?

I noticed my old EGR cooler was shaking a bit. I've got a video I'll try and upload. Basically if I touched the rubber pipe near the top I could make the vibrating noise go away. When it had all cooled down I noticed that two of the bolts were missing that hold the cooler to the engine. These:

Screenshot_20201012-074123_WhatsApp.jpg

However... Replacing them got rid of one noise at idle but I still have the other noise that sounded like a cracked manifold or such. And was of course the EGR pipe.

I then ordered the new part that this thread references and got the old one off last night to find mine is actually this part number...

03l131521j

Anyway the point is maybe one thing lead the other. So those who have had repeated EGR pipe failures please check to see all your mounting bolts are present.

I'm going to put spring washers on them and maybe a dab of medium strength threadlock.

Oh and if you're wondering they are M6. One side is from memory 28mm long and the other 38mm. But please check that. Deffo M6 though.

IMG-20201011-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20201011-WA0022.jpg

Back