Dual mass flywheel conversion

Waltert6

Hi, I’ve got a 2015 camper, 5 speed manual, 102bhp, it’s done 135k and is calling for its second DMF, it’s looking like quite a spenny job, I wondered have any of you good people done away with the DMF and converted to a standard flywheel? If so how did it go? Looks to be a bit softer on the old wallet! Cheers

I'm sure it has been done but I'm fairly certain you won't like the results.
DMF's failures do seem to be quite random with some lasting well over 100k whereas others (unfortunately, yours included) can be much less.
There must be a common factor but clearly it hasn't been found yet. Is it driving style, DMF manufacturer, power output, vehicle load... who knows.

Reactions: mmi
Hi, I’ve got a 2015 camper, 5 speed manual, 102bhp, it’s done 135k and is calling for its second DMF, it’s looking like quite a spenny job, I wondered have any of you good people done away with the DMF and converted to a standard flywheel? If so how did it go? Looks to be a bit softer on the old wallet! Cheers
I did it on an older Landrover and regretted it.
It just seemed a bit harsh afterwards and I had you get my gear changes exactly right, it was very unforgiving.
I wouldn't do it again.

If it’s got to 135k on its first DMF why try to save a few quid and cause potential issues. Surely this one will last you until you get rid of the van if it does another 135k.

I read that as having 2 flywheels already - original and one replacement, so on its third (second replacement)!

I’d swap a DMF for a plain one on most petrol engines but not a diesel. Some 3 cyl petrols have weird vibrations so a DMF helps.

I read that as having 2 flywheels already - original and one replacement, so on its third (second replacement)!

I’d swap a DMF for a plain one on most petrol engines but not a diesel. Some 3 cyl petrols have weird vibrations so a DMF helps.
I read it as needing its second dmf. I assumed the first one came fitted from factory. For me if it had already had a replacement then it would be calling for its third DMF.
Maybe the OP could be more precise.

Thanks everyone, to sort the confusion, the van was supplied new by Vw with a flywheel and clutch. This was replaced about 70k by the previous owner, we are now up to 135k and it sounds like a skeleton riding the grand national.
I don’t do big miles and I’m sure the next DMF will outlast me.
I am however tight and if a £400 clutch will do as good as a £900
That’s £500 for me to spend on beer and cookies

Thanks everyone, to sort the confusion, the van was supplied new by Vw with a flywheel and clutch. This was replaced about 70k by the previous owner, we are now up to 135k and it sounds like a skeleton riding the grand national.
I don’t do big miles and I’m sure the next DMF will outlast me.
I am however tight and if a £400 clutch will do as good as a £900
That’s £500 for me to spend on beer and cookies
It won't do as good, though, in my experience, it will make the driving experience less refined and less smooth.
VW installed a DMF because it makes the van nicer to drive.
If you decide to go ahead with the cheaper option please let us know how you get on with it, I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

In my opinion, don't do it! They are fitted for very good reasons, one being the gearbox can be built lighter duty, as it doesn't have to cope with the torque spikes a TDI puts out, and the 5sp is weaker than the 6sp anyway.
On these forums, you only hear about the early failures, not the van with 250,000 miles, and the original clutch and DMF.
You wouldn't fit re-groovable solid tyres to save on tyre replacement, and punctures!

Back