Drop Links. When And Why To Use Longer.

Sorry to hi-Jack the thread, but out of curiosity, if my suspension was raised by 30mm, would I need shorter drop links?

Sorry to hi-Jack the thread, but out of curiosity, if my suspension was raised by 30mm, would I need shorter drop links?
At 30 mm it isnt critical , The thing is in lift situations owners are normally concerned about off road capability and of course the A R B isnt much help off road , its actually a hindrance , There fore a slight lessening of the ARB performance isnt a problem in my humble opinion .

At 30 mm it isnt critical , The thing is in lift situations owners are normally concerned about off road capability and of course the A R B isnt much help off road , its actually a hindrance , There fore a slight lessening of the ARB performance isnt a problem in my humble opinion .
Thanks for answering :thumbsup:

Hi there

, Many of the popular kits are not well designed and do need longer drop links , These kits include Van slam, B14 , B 14 komfort , Twin adjust project etc . The TUV certificate for these kits clearly states that these kits are only TUV approved if Longer drop lings are supplied . Of course all the companies selling these kits here in UK dont normally offer extended drop links as part of the package because UK doesnt have to have TUV approval .

The H&R and KW kits we sell do have a repositioned Bracket for the drop link and generally dont need longer drop links ( particularly at 40 mm )

Normally STX kits are fitted to go lower than 40 mm of course. is there a reason you would go that route rather than the KONI shocks and springs which are way more comfortable at 40 mm ?? ( Just being nosy ha ha )
I am only thinking of 40mm because I still would like some ground clearance for crap drive ways. I have not seen what 40mm lower looks like so I may be able to get it lower with out scraping the front. Any (suggestions?) Can people attach photos of 40 and 50mm lower vans with 18" wheels so I can get an idea . I also will be using a trailer loaded at about 750kg some times. Its not a camper so not much weight in the back.
I would look at Koni but if I was to go a bit lower than 40mm would Koni work , and what would they be like with the trailer loaded.
"Thanks"

I am only thinking of 40mm because I still would like some ground clearance for crap drive ways. I have not seen what 40mm lower looks like so I may be able to get it lower with out scraping the front. Any (suggestions?) Can people attach photos of 40 and 50mm lower vans with 18" wheels so I can get an idea . I also will be using a trailer loaded at about 750kg some times. Its not a camper so not much weight in the back.
I would look at Koni but if I was to go a bit lower than 40mm would Koni work , and what would they be like with the trailer loaded.
"Thanks"
If the van is a T28 or T30. We do custom made sport short shocks. , Koni build them for us and they can do 50 to 60 mm . There is still plenty ground clearance at 50 mm. The. Koni shocks are the best and most capable on the market. They are superior technology to the STX. Shocks and they are perfect for stability when towing. As they can be adjusted to suit ,

"Thanks"

218640E1-0F66-4590-9EA1-D44983AAA7F2.jpeg

1AA696A5-DBD3-4375-B05A-D5DCCE485B20.jpeg

F9A32C07-22CE-45CD-BB29-FE554DF82FF0.jpeg

Hi Steve. Thanks for the photos.
Are the photos 50mm lowered with the Koni ?
yes they are. Between 40 And 50. Mm. But remember the spec of the van can alter the drop slightly . Heavier vans go a little lower with the same spring !

yes they are. Between 40 And 50. Mm. But remember the spec of the van can alter the drop slightly . Heavier vans go a little lower with the same spring !
I think your rite. 50mm looks a lot better and because it's a van with little weight in the back ,a little more than that may be needed.
What springs do you use with the Koni shocks and you recommend them over the STX at 50-55mm do you?

the height you want to go to will determine which kit we use ,

The Koni shocks. With lowering springs is more comfortable but there is a limit to the drop ,
Lower than 50 mm we have to use a coil over kit because they are shorter ( the good ones anyway):
generally the shocks in a coil over kit aren’t as sophisticated as the Koni ones
there for this isn’t a shoot out between Koni and STX kits as there applications are different ,.
the choice of kit will depend on the height you want as the title implies ?
the springs aren’t as important as the shocks , The performance , comfort and handling all come from the shock . We use Evotek and H and R. Springs with the Koni shocks. The Evo Tek have a bigger range thanks to our help in designing them Both have a life time warranty. The shocks 2 years

the height you want to go to will determine which kit we use ,

The Koni shocks. With lowering springs is more comfortable but there is a limit to the drop ,
Lower than 50 mm we have to use a coil over kit because they are shorter ( the good ones anyway):
generally the shocks in a coil over kit aren’t as sophisticated as the Koni ones
there for this isn’t a shoot out between Koni and STX kits as there applications are different ,.
the choice of kit will depend on the height you want as the title implies ?
the springs aren’t as important as the shocks , The performance , comfort and handling all come from the shock . We use Evotek and H and R. Springs with the Koni shocks. The Evo Tek have a bigger range thanks to our help in designing them Both have a life time warranty. The shocks 2 years
Thanks for this information When I work out the drop I am going for I will get in contact with you.

Just purchased coilovers for my t6 (2017). Looking to buy longer drop links but I'm getting mixed compatibility messages. Transporter hq sell some for t6.1 but told me they won't fit my van but seen standard length advertised for t5/t6/t6.1.

Can anyone help/advise please? Also any advise on what people bought/using?

Thanks

Just purchased coilovers for my t6 (2017). Looking to buy longer drop links but I'm getting mixed compatibility messages. Transporter hq sell some for t6.1 but told me they won't fit my van but seen standard length advertised for t5/t6/t6.1.

Thanks
Do your coilovers have an additional or different mounting point for the DL compared to the OEM struts you’ve removed?

How low have you gone?

Here’s a few posts worth a read depending on your circs:
Firstly at 50 mm you don't have to go coil over route , a 50 mm sport kit will be more comfortable and cost effective ( not including cheap coil overs which in all honesty are often not what they appear)
The drop links are recommended to change simply because 9/10 times are corroded and don't come off . if the car has plenty miles its worth changing top mounts simply as a precaution . ( also too much work to change them alone ) these aren't UPGRADED, but simply replacement parts no benefit in performance or handling !
The rake of the van should be 25 to 35 mm forwards so a measurement from sill to ground front measured just behind front wheel , rear just in front of rear wheels .
if the vehicle is level as you accelerate all the weight transfers to the rear making the steering light .
My advice ( 30 years in the business ) is if you want 50 mm or less avoid coil overs . You will achieve better handling and comfort with a correctly designed sport kit . ( sport kit is a fixed drop kit ) less noises corrosion problems on the threads and a host of other issues .
avoid anything cheap if you want to do it and leave it . there are many reasons why a sport kit is better than coil overs but please understand a sport kit wont do more that 50 mm .

I am using the V-Maxx [SBMO] adjustable drop links on my van (fitted with Eibach Pro Street S coilovers), 3 choices of lengths and much more substantial than the original parts.
available elsewhere cheaper
On my T6 I’m lowered 70mm front / 90mm rear and used Meile DL that were the same size as OEM - no problems three years in.

Thanks
I have a pair of brand new solo drop links that I bought from THQ if you are interested

Do your coilovers have an additional or different mounting point for the DL compared to the OEM struts you’ve removed?

How low have you gone?

Here’s a few posts worth a read depending on your circs:

On my T6 I’m lowered 70mm front / 90mm rear and used Meile DL that were the same size as OEM - no problems three years in.
Brilliant. Exactly what I needed to hear haha will order a set now and get the van booked in. Cheers mate

Back