Drop Links. When And Why To Use Longer.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
There is loads of information on this site about lowering springs or coilovers and a bit about air. As well as H&R anti roll bars.
However I can find very little about drop links.

So you guys who have lowered how did you know if it was necessary to install longer drop links, if it is even necessary.
If they are installed what are the advantages? Does it make much difference to the ride?
How much longer did you go? The sam amount as the drop?

Or did you not bother swapping them? If not are there any negatives? Strain on the suspension and bushes etc?

Timr

T6 Pro
Hi you will only need longer droplinks once you get extremely low or on air.
The advantage is it stops the roll bar hitting the chassis and holding the van up on it.

RedUn

Kombi... work in progress
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Drop link length doesn't make any difference to the handling, you only need to alter them if the the arb or drop links are fouling the chassis, dampers, calipers etc

The other reason is if the drop links are very far from vertical and putting excessive strain on the drop link ball joints, you'll just wear them out quickly but luckily they are cheap.

Normally you can move the suspension while the vehicle is in the air and check for clearance, or you'll just hear it knocking over bumps or when on full lock etc

Jutty

So would you replace the drop links if fitting them on a brand new deliver mileage T6.1 T32 when fitting B14 coilovers

Chilli Jam Vans

Trade Member
T6 Pro
Longer ARB's not required for the 6.1 with the B14. It is true that the 6.1 has a different front anti roll bar which can fowl but this is in cases of drops over 70mm in a particularly heavy bus.
In those cases we will soon be able to offer a specifically manufactured drop link for the 6.1. Please send us a PM if you require the details of those.

Jutty

Longer ARB's not required for the 6.1 with the B14. It is true that the 6.1 has a different front anti roll bar which can fowl but this is in cases of drops over 70mm in a particularly heavy bus.
In those cases we will soon be able to offer a specifically manufactured drop link for the 6.1. Please send us a PM if you require the details of those.
Thank you very much for your reply

Jayjmac

Cherry Bomb
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Ill add to this! From what I have learnt over the last month and speaking to various people. I’m going air and have been told that ultra low or air will need new longer drop links. You can use a Vauxhall insignia drop links but the company fitting mine Have their own. don't ask me anything technical because I havent got a clue :think smile bounce:

I’m pretty low now but didn’t need new drop links.

RedUn

Kombi... work in progress
VIP Member
T6 Legend
While I remember, for info, if you want some nice drop links have a look at meyle they are great oem quality, a lot of aftermarket ones are rubbish!

DaveBowden74

T6 Pro
:mad:Done a top mount mod and have my Koni/Eibach coilovers wound right down so about 80mm drop altogether and mine has snapped a passenger side drop link!! It is also now leaking fluid out of the steering rack ffs!!
2019 plate at 15,000 miles any ideas what could have caused this anyone ??

D4645078-24CE-44A7-BF44-5B378C65B373.jpeg

Jayjmac

Cherry Bomb
VIP Member
T6 Legend
:mad:Done a top mount mod and have my Koni/Eibach coilovers wound right down so about 80mm drop altogether and mine has snapped a passenger side drop link!! It is also now leaking fluid out of the steering rack ffs!!
2019 plate at 15,000 miles any ideas what could have caused this anyone ??

View attachment 114527
Wow. Sorry I can’t help here. It will be interesting to find out how and why this has happened.

DaveBowden74

T6 Pro
Wow. Sorry I can’t help here. It will be interesting to find out how and why this has happened.
The general consensus was I didn’t need different drop links so I never changed them , I have spoke to a few experts including Transporter HQ and even they have never known of a T6 doing this , ordered a set of drop links off them which I,ll fit this week!
The bigger problem will be the steering rack and if VW will sort it under warranty after the coilovers/drop links and top mount has been done.
To say I,m pissed off is an understatement mate .

Grim Reaper

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
You will have to look and see if the anti roll bar has been hitting the chassis or other item along its length, and thus stopping its free movement as the suspension moves. no motion in the arb would mean the drop link would be put under compression and cause the bending and eventual snapping you have experienced.

DaveBowden74

T6 Pro
You will have to look and see if the anti roll bar has been hitting the chassis or other item along its length, and thus stopping its free movement as the suspension moves. no motion in the arb would mean the drop link would be put under compression and cause the bending and eventual snapping you have experienced.
Thank you, I did look and there didn’t seem to be any noticeable contact points , it’s going into my local garage to get the new drop links off Transporter HQ fitted on Thursday and they are going to give it a good check over (second opinion) before it goes to the main dealer for the fluid leak looked at !
If they say no to it covered under warranty i,ll need to re mortgage the house for a new steering rack :giggle:

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Where is the rack leaking from and what is leaking? Is it possible the snapped drop link has punctured a gaitor?