Drop Links. When And Why To Use Longer.

Simon228

Hi Has anybody changed there drop links for longer ones when fitting coilovers or air ? My coilovers are adjusted as low as possible but still need another 10mm or so to level it out with the rear.
I didn’t know if changing these would have an affect on ride height.

I've today took one of the rear adjusters out of each of the rear b14s and it's now level with the fronts....I've not touched the drop links to be honest

I’ve gone with stance coilovers not b14s as off yet. The rear is as low as it will go with the adjuster wound down but the front it probably 10-20mm higher looks good but just want a tad more, If I can’t then I’ll just raise the rear slightly. I’ll get a better photo tomorrow and measure it

5DF3A37C-3174-4611-9D43-607CE89C4F62.jpeg

I’ve gone with stance coilovers not b14s as off yet. The rear is as low as it will go with the adjuster wound down but the front it probably 10-20mm higher looks good but just want a tad more, If I can’t then I’ll just raise the rear slightly. I’ll get a better photo tomorrow and measure it

View attachment 25783

just take one of the front adjuster rings out of each strut ...

I've also heard Tamar wheels do a top hub mod which is safe and drops the front roughly 20mm

I know you can use T5 top mounts (which are thinner) to get a little more but it’s not much only about 6-7mm if memory serves

There is loads of information on this site about lowering springs or coilovers and a bit about air. As well as H&R anti roll bars.
However I can find very little about drop links.

So you guys who have lowered how did you know if it was necessary to install longer drop links, if it is even necessary.
If they are installed what are the advantages? Does it make much difference to the ride?
How much longer did you go? The sam amount as the drop?

Or did you not bother swapping them? If not are there any negatives? Strain on the suspension and bushes etc?

Hi you will only need longer droplinks once you get extremely low or on air.
The advantage is it stops the roll bar hitting the chassis and holding the van up on it.

Drop link length doesn't make any difference to the handling, you only need to alter them if the the arb or drop links are fouling the chassis, dampers, calipers etc

The other reason is if the drop links are very far from vertical and putting excessive strain on the drop link ball joints, you'll just wear them out quickly but luckily they are cheap.

Normally you can move the suspension while the vehicle is in the air and check for clearance, or you'll just hear it knocking over bumps or when on full lock etc

So would you replace the drop links if fitting them on a brand new deliver mileage T6.1 T32 when fitting B14 coilovers

Back