DRL feed for additional LED lights

If its owt to do with shiny bright LED's & vans, I bet @Deaky has already fitted a set to his T6!!
Talking of whom, could these be suitable for mounting underneath the van, perhaps along side bars? I've always fancied under-van glow lighting.

Yeah, exactly like that. :)

Did you use heat-shrink sleeves to protect yours? Could that work?
Rev2 was clear heat shrink. PITA to het the strips in and it eventually went brittle and cracked. Currently on Rev4. IP67 strip cable tied loosely to a L shape aluminium rod, screwed to the back edge of the side bar so the leds are slightly higher than the bottom of the side bar. Leading and trailing ends of the silicone tube are cult linger than the led strip, filled with silicone and folded over, then tucked behind the under trays.

Rev2 was clear heat shrink. PITA to het the strips in and it eventually went brittle and cracked. Currently on Rev4. IP67 strip cable tied loosely to a L shape aluminium rod, screwed to the back edge of the side bar so the leds are slightly higher than the bottom of the side bar. Leading and trailing ends of the silicone tube are cult linger than the led strip, filled with silicone and folded over, then tucked behind the under trays.
So, dead easy then. :rofl:

How long has Rev 4 lasted so far?

So, dead easy then. :rofl:

How long has Rev 4 lasted so far?
Almost 2 years now.
first one was stick on ip65, that lasted 6 months until it’s first winter
next one heat shrink lasted till the next winter, I wasn’t 100% if being on the bottom of the sidebar was the issue here there is a possibility it was rubbing on the kerb as I came on and off the drive
next was ip67 silicone tube and the aluminium to move it to the side of the bar rather than along the bottom. I cable tied this too tightly and the silicone split allowing salty water in, also the end where the wires enter failed.

so currently still on ip67 but longer than before so the ends are tucked out of harms way and not cable tied too tightly.

Reactions: Bav
A re-enterable gel filled connector might be best option.

Knight Rider lights! 17 year old Bobby Basic is in.

Very cool, but I’m definitely filing these under “looks like you’ve covered it in glue and ram-raided Halfords

Every other Herbert will Max Power these to their Corsa’s and Clio’s, so definitely use non-permanent fixings.

I'm out all day tomorrow for the rugby but I will take some pics on Sunday.

In a nutshell, and with thanks to Loz, I found an Ignition live in the fuse box (in the engine bay) so wired the +ve in to that and used a grill bolt for the earth. Simple and I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Did you stick your lights to the grille or bonnet?

I’m wanting to wire these to come on with the “welcome” lights (fogs in my case). Does anyone know if there is a convenient way to do this, or would I need to tap into the foglight feed?
Obviously they will also go off when the Welcome lights go off, though there might be a way to wire them to the ignition as well, but I’ll consider that later.

Back