Towing without B+E entitlement.

kn0bby

T6 Guru
Would ideally like to downplate my T30 to a T26 or lower.

This is for towing reasons. I only need to tow a 925kg gross weight trailer.

My license restricts me to 3500kgs total gross.

Any experience anyone?

How much does your trailer & van actually weigh? The rules are quite complicated and I’m 95% sure (not 100% so willing to stand corrected, but this is a big issue in the boat towing world, so I come across it quite often) that to break the law, you must be over the “actual” weight, not the plated weight. In which case, down plating your van would be pointless. I have a definitive guide from VOSA tucked away somewhere, I’ll dig it out tonight.

Do you have B+E on your licence. If not your max trailer weight is a 750KG unbraked.

Kerb weight of the T6 SWB is about 1800kgs.

My trailer weights 300kgs with a 500kg track car on it. It’s downplated to 925kgs.

My thinking is downplate the van to 2500kg. Which will keep me within my 3500kg limit.

The van will still have a 600-700kg payload.

Do you have B+E on your licence. If not your max trailer weight is a 750KG unbraked.

The rules on this are nightmare and confusing. Found the best way to check was to put your license into the DVLA website.

Details below from the website when I put my license in. I passed my test after 1997.

“Category B
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver (with a trailer up to 750kg). You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg MAM.”

That's basically what I was going to say once I knew your entitlement. Your theory is valid providing your trailer doesn't way more that the tow vehicle (which it won't in this instance) this helps prevent the tail wagging the dog.
@andythom188 has downplated i believe.

How much does your trailer & van actually weigh? The rules are quite complicated and I’m 95% sure (not 100% so willing to stand corrected, but this is a big issue in the boat towing world, so I come across it quite often) that to break the law, you must be over the “actual” weight, not the plated weight. In which case, down plating your van would be pointless. I have a definitive guide from VOSA tucked away somewhere, I’ll dig it out tonight.
Ignore that, I’m wrong. It’s the towing vehicle limits that go on actual rather than plated weights, not driver limits. I’ll get me coat:oops:

Speak to SV Tech.
Its their bread & butter, they're consultants for the DVLA itself.
They will give advise for free and then do all the necessary paperwork for you if you wish.
Downplating

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a nightmare at work
Trying to figure out towing rules
B 3500kg vehicle plus 750kg trailer
B+E 3500 kg vehicle plus braked trailer up to 3500kg

Speak to SV Tech.
Its their bread & butter, they'e consultants for the DVLA itself.
They will give advise for free and then do all the necessary paperwork for you if you wish.
Downplating
That's your best plan speak to someone who knows
We've always thought there a loop hole but never really pursued it in case we f*** ourselves up
But
Cat B 3500kg plus 750kg trailer gives you 4250kg total train weight
So a T30
3000kg plus your 925kg total 3925kg
Less than what you could actually tow on your licence
So that is what I would ask a towing instructing company

Best way is to take the test buddy I had to saves all the guessing etc etc I tried everything in my power to bend the rules to tow my caravan but at the end of the day for £600 you can do the test and pull pretty much what ever you want... and I found it a lot less stressful after passing

Last edited:
That's your best plan speak to someone who knows
We've always thought there a loop hole but never really pursued it in case we f*** ourselves up
But
Cat B 3500kg plus 750kg trailer gives you 4250kg total train weight
So a T30
3000kg plus your 925kg total 3925kg
Less than what you could actually tow on your licence
So that is what I would ask a towing instructing company

Don't wish to rain on your parade here, but there's no loop hole with this. If your trailers maximum authorised mass is greater than 750kg, then your maximum authorised mass for the whole combination (train weight) is limited to 3500kg. Assuming your licence was issued after 1st January 1997 and you haven't taken the additional test.

The offence would be 'Driving outwith the conditions of your licence'. Companies that allow their drivers to drive outwith their employees licence conditions could be prosecuted also.

Its easy for folk to get caught out with this.

Best way is to take the test buddy I had to saves all the guessing etc etc I tried everything in my power to bend the rules to tow my caravan but at the end of the day for £600 you can do the test and pull pretty much what ever you want... and I found it a lot less stressful after passing
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wot he said:thumbsup:

I still think its worth a phone call as you can bet that SV Tech have been asked this before... although I think you'd have to downplate right down to 2575kg...
unless you downplate the trailer to 900 and the van to 2600?
SV Tech said:
As well as replating a vehicle to legally carry heavier loads, owners can also reduce the legal maximum weight their vehicle can carry. This is called downplating and it normally occurs for one of two reasons; either licence restrictions applying to drivers turning 70 and those not having the C1 category on their licence, or... <snip>
....We also downplate many motorhomes from 3,700kg or 3,850kg [to 3500] when the owner reaches 70 years old and cannot pass the required medical to continue driving at the higher weight.

afro.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Incorrect.

Please continue

DVLA said:
Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

e.g. You could drive a vehicle of 2000kg and a trailer of 1400kg and still be below the MAM of 3500kg.

e.g. You could drive a vehicle of 2000kg and a trailer of 1400kg and still be below the MAM of 3500kg.

Yep. Same reason why I did a ton of research on it.

Login to gov site with your license and it’s very clear.

Thinking I need to just book my trailer test...

Back