Little help with towing please guys

dandan88

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Guys

I have a t32, I want to tow my caravan which is pretty big but I’m unsure what I can tow without b+e on my license? Could anyone share any kind advice. I have read about the combined weight not being more than 3500kgs which prob leaves me 300kgs lol

Guys

I have a t32, I want to tow my caravan which is pretty big but I’m unsure what I can tow without b+e on my license? Could anyone share any kind advice. I have read about the combined weight not being more than 3500kgs which prob leaves me 300kgs lol

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

Source:

I’ve no idea on the weight of a caravan, so you might end up needing to do your B+E

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

Source:

I’ve no idea on the weight of a caravan, so you might end up needing to do your B+E
Looking at that, as long as the caravan is under 750kg, the OP should be ok. Or have I mis-interpreted the rules?

See your vans V5 document;
Mine reads;
’O’ Technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer
Braked 2500Kg
Unbraked 750Kg.

See your vans V5 document;
Mine reads;
’O’ Technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer
Braked 2500Kg
Unbraked 750Kg.
That’s not related to the OP’s license though. That’s what the van can physically tow, not what the OP can legally drive.

The long and short of it is that you can't tow anything over 750kg.

I suspect your caravan will be around 1500kg as you say it's "pretty big", so you'll need your B+E.

I agree with @dubber36, it's unlikely that your caravan weighs less than 750KG and if it's over that limit your licence doesn't allow you to tow it, which would leave you uninsured too because an insurance policy will almost certainly contain an expression similar to, "providing that the driver holds a licence authorising them to drive that class of vehicle".

Ok guys all that information sounds very bang on! I’m sure the ragavan is over 1500kgs so I've got to do the b+e. Appreciate all your responses
Cheered

I’m only jealous as I’ve inferred you are you are a lot younger than me!
However, Mrs JOG is severely miffed at losing her entitlement to tow after a diabetes diagnosis! She gets issues with a new licence every three years.

Ok guys all that information sounds very bang on! I’m sure the ragavan is over 1500kgs so I've got to do the b+e. Appreciate all your responses
Cheered
I spent too long looking and researching this and arrived at exactly same understanding a few years ago. I am fine with xtrail and caravan but not van and caravan! I'm only 1 year too young! Madness!

@ChrisBell Are you saying you've been towing over 750kg with your Xtrail?

If you don't have B+E, your maximum train weight can be 3500kg, but the trailer can still be no more than 750kg.

@ChrisBell Are you saying you've been towing over 750kg with your Xtrail?

If you don't have B+E, your maximum train weight can be 3500kg, but the trailer can still be no more than 750kg.

@Gavinda @dubber36
I have been working on the second point:
tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg...
Caravan weight max is 1414kg and xtrail is less than 1700kg from memory.... Caravan is breaked!

In the case of a 1414kg caravan the MAM of the tow vehicle would need to be 2086kg or less to be permissible with your current licence.
This info will be on a plate somewhere on the vehicle.

In the case of a 1414kg caravan the MAM of the tow vehicle would need to be 2086kg or less to be permissible with your current licence.
This info will be on a plate somewhere on the vehicle.
2050kg which is more than I thought, will check in daylight! Very close.... When things open backup planning on doing trailer test as well!

Passing the trailer test will remove all concerns and open up your options. Just do it would be my advice
@JOG it is bonkers though. Lots of 16 year olds round here driving 50cc bikes limited to 28mph (restricted..... ) ,then jumping in 13Te tractors and able to tow 16Te of bales!

@JOG it is bonkers though. Lots of 16 year olds round here driving 50cc bikes limited to 28mph (restricted..... ) ,then jumping in 13Te tractors and able to tow 16Te of bales!
“Agricultural use” always had exceptions (aka a blind eye) which has always been bonkers!!!

I stand corrected on the train weight thing. My lad had just passed his car test so we are looking into what he needs to add to his licence.

I drove tractors towing trailers loaded with who knows how much weight when I was 16/17. Looking back that could have ended in a proper mess. At least now, you are limited to a tractor no wider than around 8 foot without having passsed a tractor test. I can only imagine the carnage my 16 year old self could have caused with a Fast Track under my right foot.

“Agricultural use” always had exceptions (aka a blind eye) which has always been bonkers!!!
The law on agricultural vehicles has always been very "generous", for example, who else can legally tow a trailer and the registration plate on the trailer does not have to match the one on the tractor as long as it relates to a vehicle you own? Who else buys their diesel duty free?
Obviously all legislation had to be passed through the House of Lords, who were generally big landowners / farmers back in the day, so they would always ensure it favoured them!

Back