Door Seal Leak?

A new 'seal' that you have highlighted in yellow wont stop water getting in the wet side of the door. There must ba another cause. Have you changed speakers or added sound deadening?
Thanks for the reply. Interestingly I have replaced the speakers. When I bought the van, both door speakers weren’t working properly so the garage replaced them. I presumed they stopped working because of the leak. But you’re saying maybe there wasn’t a leak before and the replacement has caused it?

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly I have replaced the speakers. When I bought the van, both door speakers weren’t working properly so the garage replaced them. I presumed they stopped working because of the leak. But you’re saying maybe there wasn’t a leak before and the replacement has caused it?
Yes, especially if they are aftermarket speakers they often are deeper. So stick out into the wet part of the door. Water drips on the speaker and makes its way into what should be the dry part of the door then onto the step b

Never did. Haven’t had enough rain for a while to see if it’s still happening (which I shouldn’t moan about really).
Best check with a hose instead of waiting for it to rain. Using a hose you can control where you put the water and isolate the point where it’s leaking.
Start low and work up.

Happened again for the first time in months in the heavy downpours last week. Cheers DXX I’ll get out with the hose at some point & try to pinpoint it. Assuming it’s a door seal.

Happened again for the first time in months in the heavy downpours last week. Cheers DXX I’ll get out with the hose at some point & try to pinpoint it. Assuming it’s a door seal.
Have you got roof rails, if so have a search on the Forum, it’s a common problem.
That’s why I said start low with the hose.

The other common issue is fitting larger speakers than OEM, any water that does enter the door that would normally go straight to the drainage hole can hit the back of the speaker and make it pool and come out elsewhere, it’s part of the reason wooden speaker rings can rot. A common solution is to put a diverter just above the speaker, some people use something like a sheet of silent coat to divert the water away from the speaker and back towards the drainage hole.

The other common issue is fitting larger speakers than OEM, any water that does enter the door that would normally go straight to the drainage hole can hit the back of the speaker and make it pool and come out elsewhere, it’s part of the reason wooden speaker rings can rot. A common solution is to put a diverter just above the speaker, some people use something like a sheet of silent coat to divert the water away from the speaker and back towards the drainage hole.
I've bought a pair of these for exactly that reason

image.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Back