Do GTi Seats Fit a T6 ?

It won’t work. The ad says MBQ platform. T6 is PQ25

In a case where say GTI mk7’s are the upgrade (to be floor mounted only) wondering what would be the impediment to frankensteining the gti’s onto the oem van rail mechanism. I don’t think I’ve seen that movie yet but seems like a good concept on the face of it.

In a case where say GTI mk7’s are the upgrade (to be floor mounted only) wondering what would be the impediment to frankensteining the gti’s onto the oem van rail mechanism. I don’t think I’ve seen that movie yet but seems like a good concept on the face of it.

There are a few companies in the UK managing to combine Seat Leon Cupra type seat backs and the original van seat base. More recently, I've seen the same done with Golf MK7 GTI/R seat backs.

I haven't seen the whole GTI/R seat fitted onto the van siding mechanism/runners/rails though - seat base width may be the issue there.

There are a few companies in the UK managing to combine Seat Leon Cupra type seat backs and the original van seat base. More recently, I've seen the same done with Golf MK7 GTI/R seat backs.

I haven't seen the whole GTI/R seat fitted onto the van siding mechanism/runners/rails though - seat base width may be the issue there.
Cool many thanks and cheers for the amazing breakdown of your install. Thus inspired I bid on a pair of mk7 in great condition on a local auction site so picking them up next week (NZ$450 so about half that in your earth pounds). I guess the install is the relatively simple bit compare to wiring up airbags and heater gubbins. Really glad I came across the forum and specifically the thread that keeps giving. Cheers one and all!

Cool many thanks and cheers for the amazing breakdown of your install. Thus inspired I bid on a pair of mk7 in great condition on a local auction site so picking them up next week (NZ$450 so about half that in your earth pounds). I guess the install is the relatively simple bit compare to wiring up airbags and heater gubbins. Really glad I came across the forum and specifically the thread that keeps giving. Cheers one and all!
Also got this reply from bespoke customising outfit Van Haven UK:

“We do indeed use the golf mk8 GTI bolsters in our vans, it’s a job for a trained trimmer but the seats are readily available on ebay from £600GBP so we just cut them up and with a bit of magic........ BOOM! We have a sport seat in a Transporter “

Small update on my golf seats, rusty lee swivel bases now fitted. I changed out the box section for flat plate to get them a little lower than they sat on the 50mm box, and had to move both seats into the centre of the van about 15mm but cant tell when driving so no drama there. Very pleased20210531_130048.jpg

I ended up taking mine out, the bucket bottom cushion wears out on the door side as they're made to be sat down in, not climbed over into if you know what I mean, did look great tho
Yes I've found that too, i make effort to go over the side using the pillar handle, worth the effort though theyre great to be in

Yes I've found that too, i make effort to go over the side using the pillar handle, worth the effort though theyre great to be in
Hi mate, these are the mk7 golf R seats aren't they your using??? Cheers

Small update on my golf seats, rusty lee swivel bases now fitted. I changed out the box section for flat plate to get them a little lower than they sat on the 50mm box, and had to move both seats into the centre of the van about 15mm but cant tell when driving so no drama there. Very pleasedView attachment 117931
What thickness flat plate did you use please @rtg1200

Yep golf r mk7 seats, from a 2016 model. 3mm thick plate and rusty lee swivels are what theyre currently fitted to
Thank you @rtg1200 did you use the legend that is @foggy3061 template? Or did you do something different? Is it definitely lower than the standard seats with the flat plate??? Only I'm doing this as I'm getting serious pain in my back sitting higher up as it is, so I would like to be as low as possible with this mod. Cheers for your help guys! After an 8hr round trip to Blackpool I now have a lovely pair of Golf R Mk7 seats to mod the Velle with! :)

Thank you @rtg1200 did you use the legend that is @foggy3061 template? Or did you do something different? Is it definitely lower than the standard seats with the flat plate??? Only I'm doing this as I'm getting serious pain in my back sitting higher up as it is, so I would like to be as low as possible with this mod. Cheers for your help guys! After an 8hr round trip to Blackpool I now have a lovely pair of Golf R Mk7 seats to mod the Velle with! :)

No i made my own to sit on the swivel bases, and theyre a little high up for me really. if i was to do it all again and didnt need swivels i would use 25mm box section, that would have been low enough to be able to lift the seat if i wanted i think. But that depends on personal preference for you., flat plate may suit better

Hi all, just like to thank you all for your help! I've got the Golf Mk7 seats fitted now and I absolutely love them! I find them so much more supportive for my back and balance issues, they're bloody brilliant, they look pretty good too! I had Remapping The Way fit them for me as I'm unable to do it myself

No i made my own to sit on the swivel bases, and theyre a little high up for me really. if i was to do it all again and didnt need swivels i would use 25mm box section, that would have been low enough to be able to lift the seat if i wanted i think. But that depends on personal preference for you., flat plate may suit better
Hi, did you wire up the seat heaters? Just wondering as I've just got some heated seat cupra seats

@foggy3061, @rtg1200 , great work at the beginning of this thread gents. Definitely a design I'm going to mirror. A couple of quick questions if you don't mind? 1 - What steel did you use? e.g Mild, Carburized? 2 - Did the plate or new golf seat interfere with the hand break on the drivers side? (I'm guessing not as only appears to over hang the base by about 10-15mm. 3 - Does the new seat feel like it needs support under the entire length of the runners? Was thinking about welding two vertical bars to your horizontal idea to give the runner additional support.

@foggy3061, @rtg1200 , great work at the beginning of this thread gents. Definitely a design I'm going to mirror. A couple of quick questions if you don't mind? 1 - What steel did you use? e.g Mild, Carburized? 2 - Did the plate or new golf seat interfere with the hand break on the drivers side? (I'm guessing not as only appears to over hang the base by about 10-15mm. 3 - Does the new seat feel like it needs support under the entire length of the runners? Was thinking about welding two vertical bars to your horizontal idea to give the runner additional support.
@saintclarkey1

1) I used mild steel, though its wall thickness is 2.5mm so should be pretty stout compared to the thin T6 seat base material!
2) No issues here though it could depending on where you mount your seat and if your handbrake has a lot of free play allowing the lever to sit higher when engaged. That could just be adjusted out to solve though.
3) I doubt you'll need the longitudinal supports/braces as the car seats only make contact with the car shell at the 4 corners where they are bolt down. These 4 mounting points have plinths that raise the seat rails higher up, away from the car floor. Shown here:
20221212_171629.jpg

Last edited:
Spot on responses many thanks. One final question on your last picture. Did you grind that stud near the rear plinth off? Or drill a hole to accommodate it?

Spot on responses many thanks. One final question on your last picture. Did you grind that stud near the rear plinth off? Or drill a hole to accommodate it?

I removed both the location dowel on the rearmost mount you mention and the tab on the front mount too.

I could've modified the adapters to accept these two features but as i was playing with where i was going to mount the seat, it was easier to cut them off to allow more movement.

20180406_133830.jpg

Don't worry......I repainted the runners again too, just didn't feel the need to photograph it!

Last edited:
View attachment 63010

This thread has been incredibly helpful, just finished my first golf R captains seat, about to start the second, cant wait to get them both in the van.

Edit just need to finish the adapting box section with end caps to hide them a litle and thinking of carpetting or painting them yet to decide
Do the airbag plugs from golf seats fit the t6 plugs?

Back