Do GTi Seats Fit a T6 ?

When I did my Audi seats in the T5 I was advised to use 12.9 strength bolts too so I would get advice on that.

Yep, good advice.

If you use the original van M8 seat mounting hardware and then the original M10 car seat mounting hardware in the adapters you'll be ok as they appear to be 10.9 grade.

Last edited:
Make sure you’re happy with the comfort before you go to any trouble, I had a Mk5 GTI back in the day and the seats were not the best.

Believe me they are like pure luxury compared to basic van seats and the double front seats, I feel like a hip gangster cruiser I those bad boys, and yep I’ll get advice on the bolts

This might be a silly question but do any of these seat alternatives come with arm rests? I haven't seen any down here in Aust with arm rests but your market may have them.

This might be a silly question but do any of these seat alternatives come with arm rests? I haven't seen any down here in Aust with arm rests but your market may have them.

As for the GTI type seats discussed in this thread, no.
They can be added though if you have the time and skill, like this fellow has done:

Danny Chambers on Instagram: “Comfy as f*** #vw #vwt #vwt5 #vwtransporter #vwtransportert5 #vwtmag #vwtmagazine #vwbus #vwbusmagazine #vwbusmag #lowdowntransporters…”

As for the GTI type seats discussed in this thread, no.
They can be added though if you have the time and skill, like this fellow has done:

Danny Chambers on Instagram: “Comfy as f*** #vw #vwt #vwt5 #vwtransporter #vwtransportert5 #vwtmag #vwtmagazine #vwbus #vwbusmagazine #vwbusmag #lowdowntransporters…”
That looks brilliant! Shame he hasn’t answered that last question. The only reason I got rid of the Audi Recaros from my T5 was because I couldn’t live without armrests. If fitting armrests is doable, it opens up all sorts of possibilities, I’d love a set of E46 adjustable sports seats, or any 90s BMW seats as they were the peak of comfort/support, if they could have armrests on them.

That looks brilliant! Shame he hasn’t answered that last question. The only reason I got rid of the Audi Recaros from my T5 was because I couldn’t live without armrests. If fitting armrests is doable, it opens up all sorts of possibilities, I’d love a set of E46 adjustable sports seats, or any 90s BMW seats as they were the peak of comfort/support, if they could have armrests on them.

I haven't stripped the Mk7 golf R seats yet but I intend to in order to lose the airbags (my van doesn't have seat airbags) and add armrests.

I think the genuine armrest retrofit kits could be adapted to fit on. :thumbsup:

I think one or other of the two types of armrest retrofit brackets could be modified to fit the Car type seats!

20190228_114227.jpg
20190228_111909.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I looked through his Instagram this morn. He's the guy who's a friend of the owner of THQ isn't he? @Tourershine probably knows him. Shame he didn't show pictures of the seat work in progress.

I know the van, but not the person. He's part of the Lowdown group, and they can sometimes be a little choosy who they share info with, or talk to, so I tend not to bother with them, which is a shame, because they are not all like that, just a few rude apples. (i'm too old for rejection, and take it personally:()

Last edited:
Yep, bear with me, I'll dig them out and update this post with the measurements I used.

UPDATE:

Ok, steel used; 4 x 530mm lengths of 50mm x 25mm x 2.5mm rectangular section steel. I bought slightly longer so I could neaten/square off any rough cuts left by the supplier then end up with 520mm for each of the 4 rails.

The Van seat bolt pattern (between mounting bolt centres); 397mm wide by 383mm long, by my measurements (I have seen swivel manufactures list the pattern as 398 x 384). Uses M8 fixings.

MK7 Golf R seat bolt pattern; 475mm wide by 365mm long. Uses M10 fixings.

This means the van seat pattern is 18mm longer and 78mm narrower than the Golf seat. The Golf seats also sit lower than standard van seats hence why I used 25mm high steel section for the mock up.

Hopefully this extremely technical and high-quality engineering drawing.......created on paint :laugh: should demonstrate the way I offset the Golf seat relative to the van seat position in order to get it to sit central.

View attachment 37436

I simply created a mirror image of the above layout for the drivers side. :thumbsup:
Yep, bear with me, I'll dig them out and update this post with the measurements I used.

UPDATE:

Ok, steel used; 4 x 530mm lengths of 50mm x 25mm x 2.5mm rectangular section steel. I bought slightly longer so I could neaten/square off any rough cuts left by the supplier then end up with 520mm for each of the 4 rails.

The Van seat bolt pattern (between mounting bolt centres); 397mm wide by 383mm long, by my measurements (I have seen swivel manufactures list the pattern as 398 x 384). Uses M8 fixings.

MK7 Golf R seat bolt pattern; 475mm wide by 365mm long. Uses M10 fixings.

This means the van seat pattern is 18mm longer and 78mm narrower than the Golf seat. The Golf seats also sit lower than standard van seats hence why I used 25mm high steel section for the mock up.

Hopefully this extremely technical and high-quality engineering drawing.......created on paint :laugh: should demonstrate the way I offset the Golf seat relative to the van seat position in order to get it to sit central.

View attachment 37436

I simply created a mirror image of the above layout for the drivers side. :thumbsup:
Hi I’m looking to use your pattern, do you have any pics of the seats in the van?

Hi I’m looking to use your pattern, do you have any pics of the seats in the van?

Sadly not, a very fortunate straight swap of my double seat for a passenger captain seat has taken the rush off the seat project!

I'm still gonna do it but I still want to remove the airbags from the seats and add armrests first.

Sorry just realised yours is a T6, mines a T5 would this pattern still work with MK5 seats?

Yep, nearly all T6ers in here! :D

I dont see why it wouldn't work, T5/T5.1/T6 all seem to use the same seat base units.

Is it possible to remove airbags from golf seats? Does it not leave a saggy side? Is it safe to leave airbags in but not connected?

Questions! Sorry

Is it possible to remove airbags from golf seats? Does it not leave a saggy side? Is it safe to leave airbags in but not connected?

Questions! Sorry
If it helps... My upholsterer told me that when he recovered my T5 seats, that he simply stuffed some foam in the area where the airbag once sat, and then covered it over.

I couldn’t even tell you wheee the airbag was removed from.

Hi Iv just bought some recaro wingbacks for my t6 as you guys have said on here about the rails being wider is this another retro fit job?.

Hi Iv just bought some recaro wingbacks for my t6 as you guys have said on here about the rails being wider is this another retro fit job?.

Yep, it will be! Others have fitted wing backs in the past though.

See my PM reply.

20200314_162511.jpg

This thread has been incredibly helpful, just finished my first golf R captains seat, about to start the second, cant wait to get them both in the van.

Edit just need to finish the adapting box section with end caps to hide them a litle and thinking of carpetting or painting them yet to decide

View attachment 63010

This thread has been incredibly helpful, just finished my first golf R captains seat, about to start the second, cant wait to get them both in the van.

Edit just need to finish the adapting box section with end caps to hide them a litle and thinking of carpetting or painting them yet to decide

Looks great, nice work! :thumbsup:

With that size of box section i guess they'll probably end up the same height as the original van seats.

How were the armrests to fit, I've yet to do that to my R seats?

I've used some of these threaded tube end caps so I can attach some covers to hide the gaps (mainly the mechanism on the inside of the seat):

Threaded Tube Inserts and End Caps | Buy Online | BPF

Back