Do GTi Seats Fit a T6 ?

Mbr_tattoist

T6 Pro
I’d really like 2front Gti seats or scirocco I’ll need to mount them onto a swirl base , is this straight forward or am I making loads of work ?

Thanks dubbers

It's not quite so straightforward as the mk5/6/7 golf gti/golf r/scirocco type seats have wider rails, sit offset on them and sit lower than van seats.

This means in order to mount them into the van, you need to offset the rails to one side or the seat won't be in line with the pedals (or passenger side footwell).

If you don't mind fabricating some adapter rails it's not hard.

Last edited:
It's not quite so straightforward as the mk5/6/7 golf gti/golf r/scirocco type seats have wider rails, sit offset on them and sit lower than van seats.

This means in order to mount them into the van, you need to offset the rails to one side or the seat won't be in line with the pedals (or passenger side footwell).

If you don't mind fabricating some adapter rails it's not hard.

Do you know if I may encounter the same problem with Audi RS4 seats ??

Erm, not sure.

If it's a B7 RS4 I think they have the same seat rail arrangement as Golfs/A3s (as the RS4 Recaro wingback seats are often retro fitted into the hatches) but without any tilt mechanism.

Is it a case of measuring from the centre line of the seat out to the runners to be able to tell if they are offset ?

Pretty much!

If you look at the top photo i posted of the Golf R seats, you can see the rail on the left is pretty much in line with the edge of the seat base, where as the rail on the right is outside the seat base and about underneath the plastic finishers and height adjust handle.

Pretty much!

If you look at the top photo i posted of the Golf R seats, you can see the rail on the left is pretty much in line with the edge of the seat base, where as the rail on the right is outside the seat base and about underneath the plastic finishers and height adjust handle.

Hi foggy did it all work out in the end ? Did you keep the new fabricated parts the same ? Any chance of a picture of the finished product , I’m ready to buy the Gti seats now so going to have a go

Hi foggy did it all work out in the end ? Did you keep the new fabricated parts the same ? Any chance of a picture of the finished product , I’m ready to buy the Gti seats now so going to have a go

I have finished the drivers side rails and did adjust it's offset position a further 10mm back onto the middle of the vehicle. It now sits central on the van seat base. :thumbsup:

The passenger side still needs a test fit to see if I can use the same offset as the drivers side (only mirrored), or if I need to move it further towards the centre of the van (because of the more intrusive B pillar lower).

Then I'll get them powder coated and they're good to go!

Hi mate so it’s been a while are the seats in I’m picking up some mk 4 seats tomorrow ready to fit and your help for the mounting of the the rails and final passenger offset would be super helpful
Many thanks

Hi mate so it’s been a while are the seats in I’m picking up some mk 4 seats tomorrow ready to fit and your help for the mounting of the the rails and final passenger offset would be super helpful
Many thanks

Mk4 golf seats? They might be a whole other ball game as they dont mount like mk5/6/7 golf seats.

IIRC, the mk4 has two horizontal longitudinal bolts at the front and two rollers at the rear that sit into runners on the cars floor.

Last edited:
Thanks so much that’s saved me a lot of time, I’ll have to go for mk5 then as I can use your guide from above, I honestly thought they would have the same rail system. Back to drawing board then I’ve only paid a 50 deposit so not a total loss

Hi got my mk 5 seats now so can just copy your installation. Do you have a measurement for the length of steel bar you used, please and if it’s not too much trouble measurements of the holes and what size bolts. I know it’s a lot of questions but got so much to do still it’s help me a lot

Make sure you’re happy with the comfort before you go to any trouble, I had a Mk5 GTI back in the day and the seats were not the best.

Make sure you’re happy with the comfort before you go to any trouble, I had a Mk5 GTI back in the day and the seats were not the best.

Had the same car and thought the stock seats (non wingback recaro) were very good! The mk7 R seats are much the same! :thumbsup:

Hi got my mk 5 seats now so can just copy your installation. Do you have a measurement for the length of steel bar you used, please and if it’s not too much trouble measurements of the holes and what size bolts. I know it’s a lot of questions but got so much to do still it’s help me a lot

Yep, bear with me, I'll dig them out and update this post with the measurements I used.

UPDATE:

Ok, steel used; 4 x 530mm lengths of 50mm x 25mm x 2.5mm rectangular section steel. I bought slightly longer so I could neaten/square off any rough cuts left by the supplier then end up with 520mm for each of the 4 rails.

The Van seat bolt pattern (between mounting bolt centres); 397mm wide by 383mm long, by my measurements (I have seen swivel manufactures list the pattern as 398 x 384). Uses M8 fixings.

MK7 Golf R seat bolt pattern; 475mm wide by 365mm long. Uses M10 fixings.

This means the van seat pattern is 18mm longer and 78mm narrower than the Golf seat. The Golf seats also sit lower than standard van seats hence why I used 25mm high steel section for the mock up.

Hopefully this extremely technical and high-quality engineering drawing.......created on paint :laugh: should demonstrate the way I offset the Golf seat relative to the van seat position in order to get it to sit central.

Untitled.jpg

I simply created a mirror image of the above layout for the drivers side. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back