Diesel Hob Vs Gas Hob.

-7 sounds good
Seems a shame there is no timer or remote for it. Quite like the idea of getting into a warm van in the morning or after the trip to the pub.
I have never seen a timer for one.

I'm back with another diesel cooktop question...

So, we are having swell shades (which have built in pods) and my converter isn't sure that we can fit the WALLAS cooktop above the fridge without obstructing the pod meaning that to remove the pod, you would need to remove the whole furniture.
:unsure:

I hope this makes sense but has anyone got this type of layout with the diesel hob above the fridge??

Either that or does anyone have the diesel hob beside the rear seats and is it okay with the heating element on??

Thanks.
:)

My Wallas is adjacent the rear seats, not an issue. I put a cloth over the seat in case of any spillage.
After two years the curtain behind Wallas is still visibly clean as it is protected by the raised hood.
I've just been travelling for a month, cooking at least twice a day on my Wallas, excellent bit of kit.

Everyone with one seems to like it. Will it keep a LWB warm as the main heater do you think?
Think it might save space and also not have to have more kit bolted under the van.
Not carrying gas or worrying about finding refills also appeals.
What’s the verdict for actual cooking? Two pans OK and controllable?
All the advice appreciated thanks

I was recently camping at minus 4 with the pop top up, the heater was fine on the thermostat, I’ve never used more than minimum setting on the thermostat.
As far as cooking goes; it seems to have a single burner on the left hand side (hot side), the right hand side (cooler side) seems to rely on conduction from the left hand side.
I have a double skillet from the double skillet company and a small square cast iron pan, chosen because they both fit on the hob at the same time.
Enough to make a very nice meal for two from scratch, the double skillet does great roast dinners and pizza. Switching positions on the hob according to cooking requirements is easy.

When I was considering the Wallas, I toyed with the idea of a GSM switch to turn it in remotely. I ended up going a different route and fitted a separate Webasto Air Top 2000 STC with a Thermocall and the Webasto x100 hob. Dont know if the GSM switch has been done yet by anyone else on the Wallas though.

Everyone with one seems to like it. Will it keep a LWB warm as the main heater do you think?
Think it might save space and also not have to have more kit bolted under the van.
Not carrying gas or worrying about finding refills also appeals.
What’s the verdict for actual cooking? Two pans OK and controllable?
All the advice appreciated thanks

Far as actual cooking goes its great !
I cook in my van all the time, I know some don't for smells reasons, I find opening the side window lets smells out I cook with a Fundix Set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fundix-Ind...749068&keywords=fundix&qid=1573286177&sr=8-23

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fundix-F2-...749068&keywords=fundix&qid=1573286177&sr=8-17

Not the cheapest but fantastic !! The casserole with glass lid stops bacon and anything cooking from spitting, the lid has a dumple in it that allows steam out so I aim this to the open window and it blows right outside ! When turning bacon or stiring I lift it off the hob and take outside or open lid on floor by open side door lets it all go !

It does take longer to boil a kettle of water I have a SEA to Summit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Summit...ds=sea+to+summit+kettle&qid=1573286525&sr=8-5

Im a tea monster and drink loads so to take some pressure off the wallis I've started to use a little gas

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-...words=camping+gas+stove&qid=1573286629&sr=8-5

just to boil the kettle quick

Hope this helps !
I'm also LWB heater is fantastic never goes above minimum setting ! Its quiet and runs all the time unlike some that shut off and restart waking up !

I asked about a remote Wallis said they don't do it as its possible the lid could be left up with something flammable on it and cause a fire !
Yeh yeh I know ! but that's what they said....

I would love to make it remote @Dieseldonkey But think its out my league to do it

I've also recently bought a ridgemonkey !
Fill it full of food steak mushroom and onions with soysauce and poke it in a fire pit ! Magic

I'm back with another Wallas diesel cooktop question... we are having an issue with installation.

So... does the lid of the wallas cooktop need to be in a completely vertical position in order for the cooktop to activate. Apparently it needs to be completely flat in order for the microswitch to allow the heater function to work.
Does it need to be up completely in order to use the hob function??

Sorry for the confusing way of writing the question but I didn't really understand what the converter was saying.
:oops:

No, the Wallas XC Duo can be used without the heater hood.
I’ve never tried cooking on it without the lid vertical as I’ve never needed to and it would be difficult to get a pan on the hob.
The heater hood wouldn’t work without it flat on the hob as it blows air across the hot hob to warm it.

If you are having an issue with the lid edge touching the van side before it’s fully vertical there is a way around it.
The worktop front edge can be made ‘bowed’ so that there is enough thickness to support the Wallas (and pans). My van has this bowed Corian worktop in order to get a wide enough section.

Thanks for the replies DXX. There is an option to move the cooktop across about 20mm and then it will sit in the window as opposed to hitting off the edge of the blinds. We are going to see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies DXX. There is an option to move the cooktop across about 20mm and then it will sit in the window as opposed to hitting off the edge of the blinds. We are going to see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Hope all goes to plan, don’t forget to take into account the weight of the pans etc on the hob.
I heat 8L of water for showers so with the pan about 9.5 - 10Kg load, theres a soft gasket under the hob edge, if the worktop flexes the gasket gets displaced..

Thanks DXX. I will bear that in mind. We were considering two nights wild camping and one night in campsites to allow us to shower, charge everything up and empty the necessities and refill the other necessities. Thats the plan for now anyways, it might change as we are going to see how it goes once we get into the swing of things.

We have a lot of research to do on the different systems in our van (the solar controller, control panel, cooktop, etc) which should be good fun.

If you have at least 140W solar and 90ah leisure batteries plus cross charging you should be fine with the Wallas XC Duo, lighting phone charging etc on all but the very darkest winter days.
Our only need to check into a campsite is the 300L of water is takes for my dearest to wash her hair!

so... struggling with our wallas diesel heater.
converter explained it to us and we have read the manual but for some reason the thermostat doesn't seem to work.

my OH says it is set to 1 which should keep the heat above 5 degrees. we are currently at 22.9 and roasting.
Have included a picture to show what we are doing.
1576370047666243816675.jpg
The top light is bright red (the flame light) which indicates it is still trying to get to temperature.
The bottom light is orange to show it is on the heater function.
We have it set at number 1 and the place is like an oven.
Internet searches not proving to be much help.
Any advice?? What are we doing wrong??

We have an underslung LPG tank, which runs the heater, Hob and bbq point. It costs around £5-6 to fill and I last filled it up start of April, we did a 5 week trip around Europe cooking every day, and around 8 weekends away either side of that where we needed the heater, I also use the heater to warm the van up at the moment . Still yet to refill.
I saw the benefits of a diesel system but we wanted an external bbq point.

We have an underslung LPG tank, which runs the heater, Hob and bbq point. It costs around £5-6 to fill and I last filled it up start of April, we did a 5 week trip around Europe cooking every day, and around 8 weekends away either side of that where we needed the heater, I also use the heater to warm the van up at the moment . Still yet to refill.
I saw the benefits of a diesel system but we wanted an external bbq point.
BUT this is all irrelevant as I have just seen the last post

Hi all,

I’m sorry I have no input on your issue Stewby other than it sounds like the thermostat isn’t working properly - I hope you get it sorted or work out why you’ve gotten so hot

My question relates to the costs of fitting the diesel hob/heater vs separate gas cooker and heater. I’m about to become the proud owner of a LWB T6 this week and have the layout effectively sorted for the conversion but I am unsure regarding spending almost £1600 on a combined heater/hob. However this would mean I don’t spend several hundred on a gas hob, a heater, gas piping, gas safe cert etc. I’m contacting the conversion company for different quotes but wondered if anyone had already had rough figures to hand. I know it’s a piece of string question as there are dozens of variables but if you’ve any figures you’d be prepared to share I’d be grateful

Last edited:
In my experience the Wallas XC Duo thermostat runs warmer than the manual states, I generally use it with the van ventilated unless it’s really cold.
I never use more than set point 1 on the thermostat.
Here’s the 3 pages from the manual that apply.
The brightness of the yellow heater light changes when the thermostat set point temperature is reached.

449A8D1B-6BFF-49D4-9BC9-E99E2DE46A4B.png

28F1CC92-A6EF-48BC-BF46-01E527A2928E.png

97DCE36A-269C-409A-B004-E1BF1AB77A82.png

Back