Diesel Hob Vs Gas Hob.

Same here, no smell in van, there is a slight smell from exhaust of cooker outside van.
You get used to delay in heating up hob, No need to carry gas cylinders, just make sure you have diesel in the tank.

Interested to know if this is a worthwhile addition to my new van build, combining heater and job makes sense. Higher initial costs but space saving. Anyone have any negative/ positive thoughts?

Has anyone fitted a Wallas XC duo themselves ? Any advice on cutting the holes for inlet and exhaust? Or pictures of how your install goes together underneath.
Any advice on fuel line routing?
I have one sitting in the garage to fit, but only a short way through converting my SWB so it’s still a fairly distant problem for me yet.

Simon

Interested to know if this is a worthwhile addition to my new van build, combining heater and job makes sense. Higher initial costs but space saving. Anyone have any negative/ positive thoughts?
Best bit of kit in my van, no regrets at all. The delay in getting to temperature is negated by the usual preparation needed to prepare a van on site and the meals ingredients.
Flick the switch, push the button and let it get on with cooking it safely.
How many people with gas would leave a meal cooking in the van unattended?

Sorry I have no idea what’s happing with the pictures, but hopefully it gives you an idea of the Webasto hob I fitted . To my van.

just fitted the XC Duo and really impressed with it so far .Only question I have is, is the fan supposed to run constantly even with the hood in the upright cooking position?

just fitted the XC Duo and really impressed with it so far .Only question I have is, is the fan supposed to run constantly even with the hood in the upright cooking position?
I have a 1990s different model with an ordinary flue that vents through the roof and is not a ballenced flue and is paraffin/kerosene version however it works in much the same way the fan in the lid is similar. Mine worked off a therm o electric switch in the lid. When the lid is pulled down the switch turned on the fan in the lid. When the lid was pulled up it would run for a little while before shutting off. The same on shut down. If the cooker was turned off with the lid down it would continue to run until the cooker cooled sufficiently.

I hope that this helps! Also for others there are different versions that do not use a ballenced flue and there are also ovens too.

I have a 1990s different model with an ordinary flue that vents through the roof and is not a ballenced flue and is paraffin/kerosene version however it works in much the same way the fan in the lid is similar. Mine worked off a therm o electric switch in the lid. When the lid is pulled down the switch turned on the fan in the lid. When the lid was pulled up it would run for a little while before shutting off. The same on shut down. If the cooker was turned off with the lid down it would continue to run until the cooker cooled sufficiently.

I hope that this helps! Also for others there are different versions that do not use a ballenced flue and there are also ovens too.

Didn't leave it in the up position for any length of time but the heater fan stays on with the lid in the upright position. just watched the "hughtube" video on youtube of him boiling a kettle and it sounds like the fan runs all the time .

Didn't leave it in the up position for any length of time but the heater fan stays on with the lid in the upright position. just watched the "hughtube" video on youtube of him boiling a kettle and it sounds like the fan runs all the time .
Perhaps things are different now mine just ran for a while and then shut down. I appreciate a while is subjective but when I fitted mine it did cause me to be concerned. So I added an additional switch to the lid. It was then that I realised that I needed to be patient. I left the switch in situ however as it allowed me to run the fan when the cooker was off when the weather was hot. Do not ask how I did this because I do not recall in fact I am surprised looking back that I did things like that because today I would show more hesitation.:laugh:

Perhaps things are different now mine just ran for a while and then shut down. I appreciate a while is subjective but when I fitted mine it did cause me to be concerned. So I added an additional switch to the lid. It was then that I realised that I needed to be patient. I left the switch in situ however as it allowed me to run the fan when the cooker was off when the weather was hot. Do not ask how I did this because I do not recall in fact I am surprised looking back that I did things like that because today I would show more hesitation.:laugh:
:) I will try it again tonight .to be honest the lid probably sat in the upright position for 10- 20 seconds as I was too busy nodding off with the hot air blowing at me...
Just read the info on the website and it might be a case of the fan I can hear is the combustion fan not the heater fan!!

Last edited:
:) I will try it again tonight .to be honest the lid probably sat in the upright position for 10- 20 seconds as I was too busy nodding off with the hot air blowing at me
Another way to check this out is to lift the lid place a kettle or a pan of water on the rings to prevent them from over heating. Then switch the unit on. The lid should not become hot like this. Therefore the fan should not switch on.

The thing is, once hot the lid will have a fair bit of mass so take a while to cool. Again I use the subjective a while! By the way I hope that you enjoy your cooker we found ours absolutely fantastic. My wife is a fabulous cook so we could have all sorts of food while away. Even in the coldest winters it would be warm inside. We were the envy of our friends. I was in a small selection of people who owned Landrover 101 Froward control vehicles in the 1990s Ex Military While some of the others just cooked with gas and steamed up and the same when cold. Others fitted various eberspacher type space heaters that ran there batteries down. Our Walas allowed us to stay out in temperatures of -17 deg C and still stay warm hardly use any fuel and did not tax the battery either.

Mine had distinct cast iron hot plates so was not as attractive to look at as yours but it ran the same way. The funny thing was every one thought I had twin turntable record dec when they first saw it! Then they thought it cruel that my wife not only cooked at home but could not escape when off road. I laughed and suggested that I was fitting gimbals that wer available so she could cook while I was driving? these were initially used on boats you see. In fact I bought mine from a Marine Chandlers in Pool Dorset early 90 or 91around then anyway. I forget exactly.

The other thing to say is I seem to recall that the lid also protects the cooker from overheating when not being used the blown air heating effect might really be for that and heating may have been a secondary benefit. It might not be good practice to keep the cooker on with the lid up for too long, subjective again.

So from memory, after cooking or boiling water for a cup of tea the pull the lid down. Either leave on for heating or switch off cooker leave lid down.:slow rofl:Do not worry we will get there !:fast rofl::fast rofl:

The other thing to say is I seem to recall that the lid also protects the cooker from overheating when not being used the blown air heating effect might really be for that and heating may have been a secondary benefit. It might not be good practice to keep the cooker on with the lid up for too long, subjective again.

So from memory, after cooking or boiling water for a cup of tea the pull the lid down. Either leave on for heating or switch off cooker leave lid down.:slow rofl:Do not worry we will get there !:fast rofl::fast rofl:
:) I think this is probably what I can hear! taken from website--- " Wallas XC DUO stove + heater is safe to use. It doesn’t use an open flame. The combustion process takes place in a closed loop with the help of a combustion fan. "

Hi do you have an XC Duo fitted
Yes. We fitted it in January this year. If you look back through this thread you'd see we do actually own one and aren't hypothesising!!

I know Wallas have made a huge variety of diesel hobs, ovens, heaters etc over the years and that Kind of Blue may be right in his comments about older models but its not really helping you in resolving your issues on a current model.

I suggest that you give Kuranda a call as they are the UK agents and are extremely helpful. Where did you buy yours from?

Contact details for Kuranda are on here; Wallas XC Duo - Combined Diesel Hob And Heater

Yes. We fitted it in January this year. If you look back through this thread you'd see we do actually own one and aren't hypothesising!!

I know Wallas have made a huge variety of diesel hobs, ovens, heaters etc over the years and that Kind of Blue may be right in his comments about older models but its not really helping you in resolving your issues on a current model.

I suggest that you give Kuranda a call as they are the UK agents and are extremely helpful. Where did you buy yours from?

Contact details for Kuranda are on here; Wallas XC Duo - Combined Diesel Hob And Heater
I was hoping you would say that .Yes mine came from Kuranda .I did speak to someone there who said the fan did run all the time ,Just seemed a bit odd to me that it would still run in the cooking position ! Does it sound like you get a fan noise at all times from the combustion fan

Back