Diesel Hob Vs Gas Hob.

Thanks for the reply DXX.

My OH is now wondering if the heater is maybe over-efficient for us (with the roof down and the windows closed due to the cold). We have it set at 1 but the temperature just keeps rising regardless. If we switch it off completely, we drop about half a degree every five minutes or so.
Between 02:30ish and 08:00ish, we went from 22.9 down to 6.4.

I read those pages online last night. I am assuming the red combustion indicator stays lit all the time along with the yellow power button??

I think you’ll find it ok with some ventilation whether it’s the roof or front door windows down 2cm with wind deflectors. You can tell from the pump frequency (ticking) when it has reached the set point.
If your thermostat has been installed too close to the floor it won’t perform well as the hot air will obviously rise.
I must admit that I when I first got my Wallas I didn’t read the manual and was running it on hob with hood down without the thermostat activated......that was really hot!
These hobs have been used on boats for years with a bigger air volume to heat than a relatively cramped SWB VW campervan.

Thanks for the reply DXX.

My OH is now wondering if the heater is maybe over-efficient for us (with the roof down and the windows closed due to the cold). We have it set at 1 but the temperature just keeps rising regardless. If we switch it off completely, we drop about half a degree every five minutes or so.
Between 02:30ish and 08:00ish, we went from 22.9 down to 6.4.

I read those pages online last night. I am assuming the red combustion indicator stays lit all the time along with the yellow power button??

Hi Stewby, have you managed to resolve this issue? I have exactly the same problem. It's not too bad in the pop-top but down below it's too hot at around 21/22oC

I slept in the van last night 8 - 5 deg C outside with roof down overnight, front window 1" down on one side and Wallas on minimum thermostat setting from start up.
I found it was too hot after after approx 2 hours running. I checked the thermostat and found that the yellow thermostat light went from dull to bright at around 75% on the dial when it had been set to run at minimum from start up 2 hours previous.
After opening a window for just a minute to change the small volume of air in the van the temperature reduced and stayed correct and comfortable for the remainder of the night, approx 6 hours.
I noticed that when the Wallas is burning to reach the thermostat set point it seems to run with max' fuel delivery, when it reaches set point it immediately drops off the fuel delivery to minimum.
There is no gradual reduction in fuel delivery as it approaches set point. I'm thinking that there is so much residual heat in the hob when it reaches set point that the van temperature continues to rise past set point as the hobs residual heat gradually reduces.

Last edited:
So.... my converter has been back in touch. He spoke with the guys at kurunda:

"Apparently the unit never actually switches “off” in thermostat mode (heater), when it reaches temperature it modulates (lowers) its output to achieve / maintain temperature. It obviously expects a level of heat loss in the space which it would replace at it’s lowest (or slightly more) setting.

However,….. the lowest output it puts out is 1kW which is a lot in a small space, apparently a lot more than any heat loss as the temperature keeps rising at he lowest setting.

They advise that in a small van to have a window slightly open to reduce the temperature (!) / let the heat out when in thermostat mode, or switch it off when it gets hot (kinda defeats the object)."

So, our cooktop isn't faulty, it is over-efficient.
:rofl:

Reactions: DXX
Thanks for the update Stewby.
I need to try DXX's opening of the window for a few mins to see if that makes any difference

Good evening all. Its so nice to see so many people singing the praises of the Wallas XCDuo hob/heater. We have just bought one for our conversion and are about to fit it. We have two places it could go, one is above a storage cupboard with the exhaust / inlet hoses leading down through the cupboard or the other is to go above the fridge just behind the drivers seat. The exhaust here would go across the top of the fridge and down the back.
My questions are;
1. do you find that the exhaust gets very hot with the factory supplied lagging
2. Would you fit additional lagging to the exhaust to prevent heat transfer
3. Which would be better ..above fridge or above cupboard?

Thank you for your help and hopefully I have explained this well enough!!

Hi
I'm thinking of doing the same diesel hob above the fridge, does the heat affect the performance of the fridge
I fitted a Webasto x100 hob. It’s a bit of a faff with the air box and exhaust.

Hi
I'm thinking of doing the same diesel hob above the fridge, does the heat affect the performance of the fridge
We’ve now fitted the xcduo and it’s awesome. It’s actually ended up halfway between cupboard and fridge. Your main concern is the exhaust heat through the cupboards. What I did was in addition to the supplied exhaust lagging we added an additional sleeve of lagging and This has reduced the heat to a point where I can now touch the exhaust hose when it’s running. The other thing to remember is to allow the air for the heater side to return to the unit easily. Eg back of worktop area

Yes definitely. temperature will always affect a fridges performance. Suggest plenty of ventilation around compressor. We have also fitted a Silent pc fan To Provide additional heat extraction when needed

So you cannot smell the deisel at all? You cannot taste the deisel?

I have a dragonfly lightweight camping stove and I've run that on deisel. All I can say is it smells, clogs everything us, is dirty and you can taste it in the food.
I question how these would be any different being larger scale. Love the idea of not having to fill bottles etc etc and when youve put a tad too much gas out before the spark lights it, its lights the van up nicely.... so the no explosion thing is handy but seriously are you saying you cannot smell the deisel? Or is it something you get used to? Id have friends and family twlling me I had a deisel leak if they could smell it and that woud drive me nuts.

I have a dragonfly lightweight camping stove and I've run that on deisel. All I can say is it smells, clogs everything us, is dirty and you can taste it in the food.
I question how these would be any different being larger scale. Love the idea of not having to fill bottles etc etc and when youve put a tad too much gas out before the spark lights it, its lights the van up nicely.... so the no explosion thing is handy but seriously are you saying you cannot smell the deisel? Or is it something you get used to? Id have friends and family twlling me I had a deisel leak if they could smell it and that woud drive me nuts.
You’re referring to a spirits type stove like an origo. A wallas xcduo is nothing like the old cranky thing you’re talking about. See Wallas | XC Duo | XC Duo | Easy and warm camper travelling It’s a modern sophisticated sealed heating and Cooking unit that burns diesel inside a sealed burner box much like your home boiler. It’s infinitely safer than gas. I’ve seen horrific lpg gas explosions in the marine industry onboard boats si was not prepared to have my nearest and dearest sleeping and living inside a tin can that was explosive

Reactions: DXX
Exactly what nojonareach said, LPG is bloody dangerous is a confined space.

Last edited:
We’ve now fitted the xcduo and it’s awesome. It’s actually ended up halfway between cupboard and fridge. Your main concern is the exhaust heat through the cupboards. What I did was in addition to the supplied exhaust lagging we added an additional sleeve of lagging and This has reduced the heat to a point where I can now touch the exhaust hose when it’s running. The other thing to remember is to allow the air for the heater side to return to the unit easily. Eg back of worktop area

With reference to the exhaust heat pipe running through cupboards, on ours the first part exiting the heater is lagged but then nothing. We had a small tub under the work surface containing some very cheap lightweight nylon to be used for an emergency washing line that melted on contact with the (unlagged) exhaust pipe. I don't think there is excessive heat but obviously enough to melt the nylon. The heater was fitted by the convertor but I'll be looking to cover the unlagged section with some exhaust lagging from an old motorbike project that's on the shelf in my garage.

Other than that, the xcduo is a brilliant bit of kit, although like others, I find it very hot even on its lowest setting.

With reference to the exhaust heat pipe running through cupboards, on ours the first part exiting the heater is lagged but then nothing. We had a small tub under the work surface containing some very cheap lightweight nylon to be used for an emergency washing line that melted on contact with the (unlagged) exhaust pipe. I don't think there is excessive heat but obviously enough to melt the nylon. The heater was fitted by the convertor but I'll be looking to cover the unlagged section with some exhaust lagging from an old motorbike project that's on the shelf in my garage.

Other than that, the xcduo is a brilliant bit of kit, although like others, I find it very hot even on its lowest setting.
this is the lagging we used In addition to the wallas supplied lagging from the burner box to the outlet through the floor. If yours has no lagging In part of the cupboard then the converter has not installed it correctly. If you look at the wallas installation instructions you will see this. As jetsetwilly rightly says it’s a great bit of kit

Last edited:

No smell No taste, as they say its just a glass top hob, also very easy to keep clean, jusy like been at home. You just have to allow for the heating up time, its not instant.

Back