VW ‘Design’ 17” 7J Steel Wheels

From the other thread @Tourershine . Design steelies with silver centre cap in place. Roll on winter.

View attachment 28779

Okay after months of looking on here I can finally relax because I've found the wheels for me. Love these. The fact they are cheap is a bonus. I don't know much about these wheels and googling and searching on here isn't helping much. Some questions if you would like to help a newby:

1. Were these standard on t5s?
2.I assume these are not available new anymore?
3. I guess I need to buy secondhand and almost definitely get them painted (the secondhand ones around look pretty beat up)?
4. What should I be looking for in a set of secondhand ones?
5. How did you get the silver centres @Dieseldonkey ?

Thanks for any help.

Okay after months of looking on here I can finally relax because I've found the wheels for me. Love these. The fact they are cheap is a bonus. I don't know much about these wheels and googling and searching on here isn't helping much. Some questions if you would like to help a newby:

1. Were these standard on t5s?
2.I assume these are not available new anymore?
3. I guess I need to buy secondhand and almost definitely get them painted (the secondhand ones around look pretty beat up)?
4. What should I be looking for in a set of secondhand ones?
5. How did you get the silver centres @Dieseldonkey ?

Thanks for any help.
Loads around on eBay, they are still available new as they also come on t6s as spares or standard on some models but never looked at the price. A lot of vans come into the country with them and they are changed by a company for the alloys, a couple of sellers on eBay have access to them. Mine were as new from one of them. There are two types with one being heavier duty than the other for t32 vans.
VW Caravelle T5/T6 Steel 17" Wheels x 4 (Perfect for Banding) H / Duty ET56 | eBay
Mine were powder coated as was led to believe it is more durable and harder wearing than paint but I stand to be corrected.
Happy hunting

Just noticed you’re in Australia so offering my services as a forum delivery service wouldn’t work. :laugh:

Last edited:
I was going to get a set of caps but then found they ofter wear a ring into the paint or wheel, saw this on 3 sets.

What's your experience?

I was going to get a set of caps but then found they ofter wear a ring into the paint or wheel, saw this on 3 sets.

What's your experience?
Only been on about 5 months now will be coming off this weekend and winter wheels on the caps are a tight fit and no rattles from them

Brilliant! Did they snap straight on with out any modifications?
There's a write up by @HotandCold on the previous page of this thread. I pretty much followed it and the results were great. But about 12 months in, they started falling off so I've reverted back to old ones.

Last edited:
Fab, thanks so much for the speedy replies! I’ll give em a try!
X
If I was to do it again, I'd maybe opt for a more permanent solution by welding a bracket to the wheel (which is how I think Duchy are doing it?). The DIY method is requires a bit of effort and adjusting it to grip tightly involves a lot of trial and error. I think my set stayed on well until one of the wheels had to be removed for tyre repair, and somehow lost its grip when it was put back on, and it never sit properly. I moved another one in its place but that fell off too, so in the end, I just gave up!

If I was to do it again, I'd maybe opt for a more permanent solution by welding a bracket to the wheel (which is how I think Duchy are doing it?). The DIY method is requires a bit of effort and adjusting it to grip tightly involves a lot of trial and error. I think my set stayed on well until one of the wheels had to be removed for tyre repair, and somehow lost its grip when it was put back on, and it never sit properly. I moved another one in its place but that fell off too, so in the end, I just gave up!
I agree, the best way is to weld a ring onto the wheel so that the chrome cap can fit just the same way as they would on the Beetle wheel, having said that, my chrome caps are still in place after many thousands of miles!

I have an old set of these wheels. This thread has prompted me to think about cleaning them up, spraying them Candy White and popping them back on the van occasionally!

Otherwise, I’ll just flog them as they’re taking up space!!!

Back