How long did it take to put the tent up? By the time i'd finished setting that up it would be time to go home ha ha

it took me 15mins to put the main awning up, - (not attached to a van)

( fyi i have a 12v electric air pump - so much faster/easier than the manual pump )

then 10 mins to fit the carpet and bedroom pod.

but now there are fitted they will pack down with the main awning as one. . .

++++

then the additions, ie extension and front door was about 6mins to zip on and pump up.

++++

they have a YT vid showing it . .

++++

+++++

1665133489952.png

What driveaway awning have you got,?

why did you choose that one?

what are your likes & dislikes for it?

what did you have before?

if you had to do it again - what you do different
I'm relatively new to campervan's and camping in general. My wife and I have been trying to get into it for 25 years, and now the kids have left, we jumped in. When it came to the driveway awning, we looked at loads at various events/shows.

We opted for the Vango Airbeam Hexaway Low. Not a massive footprint, but big enough for two people and two whippets. Nice and tall, so no crouching ...and air beams, so easy to erect.

PXL_20221024_123624827.jpg
We've bought the groundsheet, internal footprint, and carpet. All need to be the genuine items due to the hex shape, but none of them are crazy expensive IMO. I like the Vango sky hooks...make hanging lights nice and easy.

One thing my wife really wanted with an awning was light. This thing has three large 'windows' (and a couple of mesh panels for when it's warm enough) but also small roof lights too. Nice and light...

PXL_20221001_175152123.jpg

Lovely piece of kit, but I've nothing to compare it to ...my first one (new to it, remember? ;) )

The ONLY thing I dislike about it is that the doors have hooks/catches about every foot or so...and the zips snag on every one of them. Annoys the snot out of me every time I want to open/close a door. Other than that, highly recommended.

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to campervan's and camping in general. My wife and I have been trying to get into it for 25 years, and now the kids have left, we jumped in. When it came to the driveway awning, we looked at loads at various events/shows.

We opted for the Vango Airbeam Hexaway Low. Not a massive footprint, but big enough for two people and two whippets. Nice and tall, so no crouching ...and air beams, so easy to erect.

View attachment 178775
We've bought the groundsheet, internal footprint, and carpet. All need to be the genuine items due to the hex shape, but none of them are crazy expensive IMO. I like the Vango sky hooks...make hanging lights nice and easy.

One thing my wife really wanted with an awning was light. This thing has three large 'windows' (and a couple of mesh panels for when it's warm enough) but also small roof lights too. Nice and light...

View attachment 178776

Lovely piece of kit, but I've nothing to compare it to ...my first one (new to it, remember? ;) )

The ONLY thing I dislike about it is that the doors have hooks/catches about every foot or so...and the zips snag on every one of them. Annoys the snot out of me every time I want to open/close a door. Other than that, highly recommended.
Looks ace

One of my best moves was getting a 1000w Jackery. Boils kettles, small air fryer, toaster works and I can use it as an EHU if needed to charge the internal batteries (think Austria -10c van sat for 7 days o_O) or just use the internal 13a sockets. I can recharge it on the go with my Victron 300w inverter.

I’ve been to Czechia, Austria, France, NC500 & Spain in the last 5 months and it’s been worth it weight in gold on a road trip.

The other upside was we used it during power cuts we had in October when some clown hit a power pole down our road - nob

While were still saving up for the Camper Van Adventure. . .

well need to use the Sportline for now : @Dellmassive`s T6 T32 Sportline 204 LWB DSG PV MY18 - Van Adventure

to that end I've bought the following bits from Campervan Essentials . . .

1677868254094.png

ill get the Van fitted up with this awning C-Rail so that we can start using the new KYHAM air awning above.

the start of the 2023 camping season is not so far awaay now so i need to get a wiggle on.

++++++++

we went for;

1677868391327.png

VW T5/T6 TRANSPORTER BOLT ON AWNING RAIL

• Long Wheel Base (LWB) or Short Wheel Base (SWB) options
  • Left Hand Side (LHS) / Nearside / Passenger side on UK vehicle or
  • Right Hand Side (RHS) / Offside / Driver’s Side on UK vehicle or
  • Interchangeable so that it can be swapped from one side to the other (Please note both ends are then finished as like the front end and there is an extra set of holes drilled in the flange.
This fantastic awning rail is a single piece of aluminium which is discreet – in fact out of sight – yet smart looking with chamfered ends to stop your awning snagging when feeding it in.

Simply bolted on to the T5/T6 gutter using the existing bolt holes in only a few minutes – there is no glue or drilling and it can be removed easily too if desired.

The best, most discreet and easiest to use awning rail on the market which will give the ultimate in awning attachment. Quick and easy to use whilst holding your awning onto your van in the most secure and weatherproof way possible.

+++

1677868485008.png

Figure of 8 strip is used to make connecting your Campervan Awning easy and allow you to drive away from it .

The Figure of 8 is a plastic double sided channel which comes in 76 cm sections.

Figure of 8 – £4.50 per 76 cm length.

+++

1677868551898.png

In high winds we would recommend using an awning bead strip which feeds into the Figure of 8 and the Awning Rail called a Kador Strip.
This attaches the awning rail and your canopy together in the most reliable and weatherproof way!
In stock (can be backordered)

+++

onwards. . .

+++

I had a bolt on Awning rail like the one you have , but have removed it as i found that either the Kador strip or the Awning/Sun canopy was rubbing on the Van. So i removed it and fitted a Reimo Multi Rail, which seems to work fine.
Plus the fact I'm a short arse so the Multi rail is far easier to attach too... :p

Thanks for the heads up @hoggle.

I'll get some protective clear tape in stock just in case we come across the same issue.

we use this stuff at work. . .

so im thinking, get some for the van. . .

its low tak and will easily stick to the vans bodywork . . . . as protection.

then peel off after the weekend.

it should work across the top and down the sides to prevent the awning-rub i see all too often.

the role can be cut down to get a 15cm role section for the roof line.

1677939591395.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1677939488592.png

1677939527910.png

A generous T6Forum member has donated £50 to the GoFundMe page.

Thank you. :mexican wave:

It's come over anonymously.

Let us know who it is we can add you to the wall of fame.

Screenshot_20230308_065538_Chrome.jpg

While were still saving up for the Camper Van Adventure. . .

well need to use the Sportline for now : @Dellmassive`s T6 T32 Sportline 204 LWB DSG PV MY18 - Van Adventure

to that end I've bought the following bits from Campervan Essentials . . .

View attachment 190575

ill get the Van fitted up with this awning C-Rail so that we can start using the new KYHAM air awning above.

the start of the 2023 camping season is not so far awaay now so i need to get a wiggle on.

++++++++

we went for;

View attachment 190576

VW T5/T6 TRANSPORTER BOLT ON AWNING RAIL

• Long Wheel Base (LWB) or Short Wheel Base (SWB) options
  • Left Hand Side (LHS) / Nearside / Passenger side on UK vehicle or
  • Right Hand Side (RHS) / Offside / Driver’s Side on UK vehicle or
  • Interchangeable so that it can be swapped from one side to the other (Please note both ends are then finished as like the front end and there is an extra set of holes drilled in the flange.
This fantastic awning rail is a single piece of aluminium which is discreet – in fact out of sight – yet smart looking with chamfered ends to stop your awning snagging when feeding it in.

Simply bolted on to the T5/T6 gutter using the existing bolt holes in only a few minutes – there is no glue or drilling and it can be removed easily too if desired.

The best, most discreet and easiest to use awning rail on the market which will give the ultimate in awning attachment. Quick and easy to use whilst holding your awning onto your van in the most secure and weatherproof way possible.

+++

View attachment 190577

Figure of 8 strip is used to make connecting your Campervan Awning easy and allow you to drive away from it .

The Figure of 8 is a plastic double sided channel which comes in 76 cm sections.

Figure of 8 – £4.50 per 76 cm length.

+++

View attachment 190578

In high winds we would recommend using an awning bead strip which feeds into the Figure of 8 and the Awning Rail called a Kador Strip.
This attaches the awning rail and your canopy together in the most reliable and weatherproof way!
In stock (can be backordered)

+++

onwards. . .

+++

The parts have arrived - excited .

It come delivered in a pvc water pipe!!! Nice

I need to check now that the fig 8 strips fit the Khyam awning.

Then I can get the rail fitted to the van.

20230308_165201.jpg20230308_165134.jpg20230308_164659.jpg

C-Rail fitting........

The vans LWB, so we have five fixing bolts to remove.

1678912562966.png

these are the roof rack protection stickers . . . ill leave them there for now. .

1678912600960.png

the OEM bolts are removed with a 5mm Alen key.

1678912638445.png

we need to take off the rubber washers as these need to be re- fitted under the new rail - for water proofing.

1678912693578.png

the original rubber washers looked a bit knackerd. . so ill measure up for some new ones. . .

about 17mm diam with a 5mm hole.

1678912782792.png

and about 2mm thick. . .

1678912813154.png

fitting is super simple. . .

place the OEM washers over the bolt holes,

then place rail on-top,

then use new extras washers that were supplied and fit bolt.

1678912889995.png

doing them all loosley before nipping up.

1678912931417.png

nice . . .

1678912949691.png

next up was to test fit the kador strip . . . . .

i found it was easier to fit from the front of the van as the spoiler got in the way a bit. .

1678913017647.png

front the front was much easier. . .

1678913052904.png

the Fig-8 strips were next, and slid on easy.

1678913099155.png1678913110794.png

with the kador and strips tight to the rear we have this left over at the front. . . . . .

1678913155732.png

very happy with that. . . .

1678913184437.png

no i just have to hope the KHYAM side awning will fit on the FIG-8 strips ok.

+++++++++++++++++++

new washers:

1678913289063.png1678913300666.png

Running out of space is a real problem . . . . and as we bring along the whole disco-tent and T6F communal setup, so space is a premium. . .

In fact this year we added the 500L roof box . . . . . to be able to get all the kit we needed to site.

so before we can go camping we have to empty it all out. . .
then fill with camping gear, - go camping - come home,
empty camping gear - refill with work gear . . .
go work . . . . till next camp.
Then empty it all out. . . ,
fill with camping gear, - go camping - come home,
empty camping gear - refill with work gear . . .
etc etc etc . . . .
We had the same issue back when we had a Golf estate. Not work stuff, but general kid crap that gets kept in the car, plus the hassle of loading and unloading and storing the camping gear... so I bought a small trailer for it. Ifor Williams BV64e. Easily fits into a standard garage. Now, we just keep all the camping stuff in that and hitch it up when we go away. I imagine we'll do the same now we have the T6 as, despite the bigger boot, those 6 man Vango AirBeams are beasts, and all the other stuff that goes with it (mattresses, BBQ, carpets, sleeping bags etc etc) takes up a lot of room. Highly recommend the BV64e if anyone is looking for a camping trailer.

Just a side step on the rail (C-Rail that is) thing . . .

i see some of you had the hidden C-Rail - which i liked. ( which most were using for a side sail/sheet awning)

i found this one that will go on my current van . . . . . . ( as im looking to get a side air awning to swap out the large tent for the time being untill we get the second van)

i like that it fits with the OEM LWB roof bolts - perfect for me, and removable.

++++

+++

£47 - cheap basic offering

View attachment 174521

+++

i see this option too . . . .

£99 - looks like better quality extrusion and finish?

View attachment 174522

+++++++++++

edit:

looks like i need a fitting kit, to go with the drive away air awning,

i see this one,

View attachment 174523

Description​

If you have a C channel awning rail like the ones I make, I would recommend using an awning bead strip which feeds into the Figure of 8 and the Awning Rail called a Kador Strip. This one has a 6mm (sometimes referred to as a 7mm as it is actually a 6mm core with the material around that which makes it more like 7mm) beading on both sides. This is suitable for standard sized awning rails and standard Figure of 8.

This attaches the awning rail and your awning together in the most reliable and weatherproof way! Simply slides in from one end.

We stock 3m Kador Strips as standard but if you require a different length please enquire. Order yours today!

(If you have a Fiamma or Thule Omnistor windout awning canopy, there is a channel you can use in that, however you will need a 4mm-6mm beading for the Fiamma or the 5-6mm beading for the Thule, not this one).

and this?

View attachment 174525

Description​

Figure of 8 Strip​

The Figure of 8 is a plastic double sided channel which comes in 76cm sections for attaching a drive away awning.

Figure of 8 (760mm / 30″ strip) is used to easily connect your awning to your van and allow you to drive away. Depending upon your van and whether you have an awning rail, you may be able to use this product on its own or also require the use of a Kador Bead Strip to securely attach your awning.

Vehicles with a ‘old vehicle style’ fixed gutter lip or J shaped awning rail

If you have the likes of a T2, T25, Bongo (these work particularly well on the Bongo as the dimensions of the gap and the inside of the channel match the gutter of the Bongo well for a snug fit) or similar vehicle, with a fixed gutter lip or J shaped awning rail fitted, you may be able to clip the Figure of 8 strips directly to these. You will need to get the right sort of tension on the awning to hold it in place however they could come un-clipped if it gets blustery. To overcome this, it is recommended that you fit a Camper Essentials awning rail to your van and attach the Figure of 8 with Kador Bead Strip to ensure a secure fitting and allow you to drive away leaving your awning in situ.

Vehicles with a Camper Essentials awning rail or similar C shaped awning rail

Whilst you may be able to clip the Figure of 8 strips directly onto the awning rail as above (depending on where it is fitted), for the most secure attachment, suitable for all weather conditions, it is recommended that you also use the 6-6mm Kador Bead Strip.

Vehicles with a Fiamma or Omnistor windout awning

These have an inbuilt narrow channel along the casing which will work as an awning rail. Drive away awnings or canopies can be attached using the 4-6mm Double Kador Bead for Fiamma products or the 5-6mm Double Kador Bead for the Thule Omnistor products along with these Figure of 8 Strips.

How many do I need?

Each Figure of 8 strip is a 76 cm / 30″ length for ease of storage. Therefore, for most awnings you need 4 strips (making a total length of 304 cm), however in some cases 3 strips may be adequate (making a total length of 228 cm).

Sent

edit: pics adde
Just a side step on the rail (C-Rail that is) thing . . .

i see some of you had the hidden C-Rail - which i liked. ( which most were using for a side sail/sheet awning)

i found this one that will go on my current van . . . . . . ( as im looking to get a side air awning to swap out the large tent for the time being untill we get the second van)

i like that it fits with the OEM LWB roof bolts - perfect for me, and removable.

++++

+++

£47 - cheap basic offering

View attachment 174521

+++

i see this option too . . . .

£99 - looks like better quality extrusion and finish?

View attachment 174522

+++++++++++

edit:

looks like i need a fitting kit, to go with the drive away air awning,

i see this one,

View attachment 174523

Description​

If you have a C channel awning rail like the ones I make, I would recommend using an awning bead strip which feeds into the Figure of 8 and the Awning Rail called a Kador Strip. This one has a 6mm (sometimes referred to as a 7mm as it is actually a 6mm core with the material around that which makes it more like 7mm) beading on both sides. This is suitable for standard sized awning rails and standard Figure of 8.

This attaches the awning rail and your awning together in the most reliable and weatherproof way! Simply slides in from one end.

We stock 3m Kador Strips as standard but if you require a different length please enquire. Order yours today!

(If you have a Fiamma or Thule Omnistor windout awning canopy, there is a channel you can use in that, however you will need a 4mm-6mm beading for the Fiamma or the 5-6mm beading for the Thule, not this one).

and this?

View attachment 174525

Description​

Figure of 8 Strip​

The Figure of 8 is a plastic double sided channel which comes in 76cm sections for attaching a drive away awning.

Figure of 8 (760mm / 30″ strip) is used to easily connect your awning to your van and allow you to drive away. Depending upon your van and whether you have an awning rail, you may be able to use this product on its own or also require the use of a Kador Bead Strip to securely attach your awning.

Vehicles with a ‘old vehicle style’ fixed gutter lip or J shaped awning rail

If you have the likes of a T2, T25, Bongo (these work particularly well on the Bongo as the dimensions of the gap and the inside of the channel match the gutter of the Bongo well for a snug fit) or similar vehicle, with a fixed gutter lip or J shaped awning rail fitted, you may be able to clip the Figure of 8 strips directly to these. You will need to get the right sort of tension on the awning to hold it in place however they could come un-clipped if it gets blustery. To overcome this, it is recommended that you fit a Camper Essentials awning rail to your van and attach the Figure of 8 with Kador Bead Strip to ensure a secure fitting and allow you to drive away leaving your awning in situ.

Vehicles with a Camper Essentials awning rail or similar C shaped awning rail

Whilst you may be able to clip the Figure of 8 strips directly onto the awning rail as above (depending on where it is fitted), for the most secure attachment, suitable for all weather conditions, it is recommended that you also use the 6-6mm Kador Bead Strip.

Vehicles with a Fiamma or Omnistor windout awning

These have an inbuilt narrow channel along the casing which will work as an awning rail. Drive away awnings or canopies can be attached using the 4-6mm Double Kador Bead for Fiamma products or the 5-6mm Double Kador Bead for the Thule Omnistor products along with these Figure of 8 Strips.

How many do I need?

Each Figure of 8 strip is a 76 cm / 30″ length for ease of storage. Therefore, for most awnings you need 4 strips (making a total length of 304 cm), however in some cases 3 strips may be adequate (making a total length of 228 cm).

Yes my one is a very high quality UK made aluminium and is unique in that it is personally hand finished, It filed and polished so no snagging hazards and it looks great. My new profile has a slightly wider flange than the older one pictured in this thread but works the same in terms of being hidden in the gutter. It allows a greater range of roof racks to be integrated with it. Give me a call on 07900600886 if you have questions or need any other camping stuff. I'll beat the prices of elsewhere. www.CamperEssentials.co.uk

C-Rail fitting........

The vans LWB, so we have five fixing bolts to remove.

View attachment 192213

these are the roof rack protection stickers . . . ill leave them there for now. .

View attachment 192214

the OEM bolts are removed with a 5mm Alen key.

View attachment 192215

we need to take off the rubber washers as these need to be re- fitted under the new rail - for water proofing.

View attachment 192216

the original rubber washers looked a bit knackerd. . so ill measure up for some new ones. . .

about 17mm diam with a 5mm hole.

View attachment 192217

and about 2mm thick. . .

View attachment 192218

fitting is super simple. . .

place the OEM washers over the bolt holes,

then place rail on-top,

then use new extras washers that were supplied and fit bolt.

View attachment 192219

doing them all loosley before nipping up.

View attachment 192220

nice . . .

View attachment 192221

next up was to test fit the kador strip . . . . .

i found it was easier to fit from the front of the van as the spoiler got in the way a bit. .

View attachment 192222

front the front was much easier. . .

View attachment 192223

the Fig-8 strips were next, and slid on easy.

View attachment 192226View attachment 192227

with the kador and strips tight to the rear we have this left over at the front. . . . . .

View attachment 192228

very happy with that. . . .

View attachment 192229

no i just have to hope the KHYAM side awning will fit on the FIG-8 strips ok.

+++++++++++++++++++

new washers:

View attachment 192230View attachment 192231
Thanks for the great write up and photos. If you're that way inclined any reviews on Google or Facebook would be amazing too please. The Khyam awning will fit fine into the Figure of 8. I tend to put the Figure of 8 onto the awning first, then slide the Kador Bead into the Figure of 8 and Awning Rail at the same time. A little top tip is to cut away the round core on both side of one end of the Kador Bead leaving just the middle piece for a section maybe 5 or 6 inches long. This acts as a little handle to pull the beading through with rather than trying to push it. If folk need extra rubber washers, I can supply these too. Massive thanks - Sach - Camper Essentials

Back