Pics would be great.
I also have the OEM B-pillar vents for my Webasto (petrol) heater. However, I do feel that the rear one is somewhat blocked by the fitted furniture in my van. It’s only low level storage (beside a California seat), but extends far enough forward to prevent the drivers seat from rotating a full 180 degrees. I was offered the option of the heater exit being placed under the drivers seat, but thought that OEM would be neater. Of course, Californias have their furniture on the passenger side, so it’s not an issue for them. Doh!

So consider what obstructions you may end up with in front of the heater outlets.
I installed the OEM b pillar mounts in my last van and am not sure I will do it again for the reasons you say.

Last edited:
There is plenty of room to run back with ducting under the van and have a vent under rear seats. 90mm ducting is tight coming up through the floor but 60mm is no problem, ( you can always split the 90mm duct into two 60mm ones under the van.
I brought my 90mm duct through the floor under my offside rear seat and split it with one vent facing the cab for winter defrosting and the other is directed to the rear shower-room/toilet etc.
The oem b-pillar vents were not suitable for my layout either.

How has this happened, I’ve been away a few days and you’ve got over a hundred posts on a Kombi journey. It’s absolutely the same point I was at a couple of years ago and this forum was my life, and cost me a fortune.
Ours is our daily driver with the mrs driving it more than me TBH, my first question would be LWB, I know the extra 300mm sounds great for storage, but for everyday driving, parking etc it rules out a lot of parking spaces! If you can live without it would be better.
I also wanted an Ovano but when money started to run out (all you lots fault- not mine!) I went for the Exploria Kombi bed, bloody love it, it’s so comfy and easy to use! The space underneath is cavernous, I just don’t believe the drawer will allow for the amount of stuff I get under there.
Heating, yeah it’s on the list but 95% of what we do is on HU and a fan heater works just fine.
Awning rail, absolutely, I’m just waiting for the stitches and Steel Bawdsey to be back in stock, so much more elegant than a wind out in my opinion, I don’t believe will be much slower to setup and will worry alot less about using in moderate winds.
Sorry for long post!

I’ve arrived a bit late in this thread but perhaps I can offer a slightly different angle on the awning/height issue. My van is a full camper conversion but used as a daily driver too. My first priority was height restrictions so with a pop top I’ve not found any less than 2mts that I wouldn’t try. However I did want an awning and realised a roll out type would add up to four inches of height. Restricting my daily driving/shopping. It’s also parked in the road in central London so I try to keep it as stealth as possible and an awning rail would be a bit of a giveaway as well as being very nickable. So my compromise was a Reimo multi rail which is not only a massive gutter, so necessary on a T6 but the slot underneath is perfect for a caravan type of fixing. I have a Palm Beach that slots in very easily and I’ve even been able to drive away from it and return a few times with someone guiding it in. With the sides fitted it makes a very useful room. So with my tailgate awning up too I have an embarrassment of space for bikes, bits and visitors. I believe the Palm Beach is no longer around but Im sure there’s still loads of similar type awnings around. I guess all this means the name of the game is adapt to your own particular needs. See you at Brands.

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 11.52.04.png

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 11.59.56.png

I'm quite a fan of the simple tarp style awnings that attach into a multirail. If you combine those with 4 variable height poles it's incredibly flexible, you can make a simple sun shade, a kind of tunnel effect for bad weather and a huge variety of custom angle effects for specific wind/rain directions. Granted, it's not quite as quick as pulling out a wind-out awning but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to setup with a bit of practice.

Here you go Lee, awning cassette removed
View attachment 174344
YES CHRIS. . . . !!!!

Thats what im talking about . . .

Thats what i was hoping for . . . . . the Rail with 100% fully detachable cassette wind out awning.

now. . . .

i know yours is OEM Cali etc etc .

so the question now is - can i do this with a Reimo multi rail?

eg:

1664628150121.png

1664628202877.png

++

Description
The Reimo Multi-Rail Awning Rail is a high quality multi rail type awning rail for long-wheel-base VW T4 T5 T6 Transporter vans. The Reimo Multi-Rail Awning Rail fits just above the top of the door line at the edge of the roof of a VW T4, T5 or T6.
This multi-rail has two connection options for drive-away awnings and sun canopies, a C-profile channel for 6mm Kador and a gutter for pole and clamp kits. The gutter also deflects rainwater run-off away from the side of a van.
This Reimo Multi-Rail is for the left-hand side of long wheel-base vans and is supplied with both Reimo end profile spoilers.
Fitting
The main anodised aluminium part of the rail is fitted using the supplied self-tapping screws combined with an automotive adhesive like Sikaflex 221 (not supplied), can be added from the drop-down menu. The end profile spoilers slot into place and have self-adhesive backing.
Features
  • High-quality anodised aluminium awning rail finished in black
  • Awnings can be connected via kador beading or pole and clamp kit
  • Gutter disperses rainwater away from the side of the van
  • Supplied with front and rear end profile spoilers
  • Pre-curved and pre-drilled
  • Designed to fit on the left-hand side of LWB VW T4, T5 and T6 vans
  • Supplied with self-tapping screws
  • German design
Specifications
Fitting Type: Left-hand side
Vehicle Type: LWB VW T4, T5 and T6
Length: 300cm
Colour: Black
Includes: Aluminium multi-rail, self-tapping screws, 2 x end profile spoilers, surface cleaner sachet, instructions with photos in German and translated instructions in English
Optional: Black Sikaflex 221 – select from the drop-down menu
#

+++

just confirm . . .

is this a Reimo multi rail @Leehoops

1664628290321.png

+++

and @BoroBoy ( yours has a VAMOOSE logo on it?)

1664628324550.png1664628392556.png

+++

is the Vamoose just a direct cloan of the Reimo multirail?

1664628505300.png

1664628541850.png

Just a side step on the rail (C-Rail that is) thing . . .

i see some of you had the hidden C-Rail - which i liked. ( which most were using for a side sail/sheet awning)

i found this one that will go on my current van . . . . . . ( as im looking to get a side air awning to swap out the large tent for the time being untill we get the second van)

i like that it fits with the OEM LWB roof bolts - perfect for me, and removable.

++++

+++

£47 - cheap basic offering

1664629968213.png

+++

i see this option too . . . .

£99 - looks like better quality extrusion and finish?

1664630139081.png

+++++++++++

edit:

looks like i need a fitting kit, to go with the drive away air awning,

i see this one,

1664630385143.png

Description​

If you have a C channel awning rail like the ones I make, I would recommend using an awning bead strip which feeds into the Figure of 8 and the Awning Rail called a Kador Strip. This one has a 6mm (sometimes referred to as a 7mm as it is actually a 6mm core with the material around that which makes it more like 7mm) beading on both sides. This is suitable for standard sized awning rails and standard Figure of 8.

This attaches the awning rail and your awning together in the most reliable and weatherproof way! Simply slides in from one end.

We stock 3m Kador Strips as standard but if you require a different length please enquire. Order yours today!

(If you have a Fiamma or Thule Omnistor windout awning canopy, there is a channel you can use in that, however you will need a 4mm-6mm beading for the Fiamma or the 5-6mm beading for the Thule, not this one).

and this?

1664630478931.png

Description​

Figure of 8 Strip​

The Figure of 8 is a plastic double sided channel which comes in 76cm sections for attaching a drive away awning.

Figure of 8 (760mm / 30″ strip) is used to easily connect your awning to your van and allow you to drive away. Depending upon your van and whether you have an awning rail, you may be able to use this product on its own or also require the use of a Kador Bead Strip to securely attach your awning.

Vehicles with a ‘old vehicle style’ fixed gutter lip or J shaped awning rail

If you have the likes of a T2, T25, Bongo (these work particularly well on the Bongo as the dimensions of the gap and the inside of the channel match the gutter of the Bongo well for a snug fit) or similar vehicle, with a fixed gutter lip or J shaped awning rail fitted, you may be able to clip the Figure of 8 strips directly to these. You will need to get the right sort of tension on the awning to hold it in place however they could come un-clipped if it gets blustery. To overcome this, it is recommended that you fit a Camper Essentials awning rail to your van and attach the Figure of 8 with Kador Bead Strip to ensure a secure fitting and allow you to drive away leaving your awning in situ.

Vehicles with a Camper Essentials awning rail or similar C shaped awning rail

Whilst you may be able to clip the Figure of 8 strips directly onto the awning rail as above (depending on where it is fitted), for the most secure attachment, suitable for all weather conditions, it is recommended that you also use the 6-6mm Kador Bead Strip.

Vehicles with a Fiamma or Omnistor windout awning

These have an inbuilt narrow channel along the casing which will work as an awning rail. Drive away awnings or canopies can be attached using the 4-6mm Double Kador Bead for Fiamma products or the 5-6mm Double Kador Bead for the Thule Omnistor products along with these Figure of 8 Strips.

How many do I need?

Each Figure of 8 strip is a 76 cm / 30″ length for ease of storage. Therefore, for most awnings you need 4 strips (making a total length of 304 cm), however in some cases 3 strips may be adequate (making a total length of 228 cm).

Last edited:
Just a side step on the rail (C-Rail that is) thing . . .

i see some of you had the hidden C-Rail - which i liked.

i found this one that will go on my current van . . . . . . ( as im looking to get a side air awning to swap out the large tent for the time being untill we get the second van)

i like that it fits with the OEM LWB roof bolts - perfect for me, and removable.

++++

+++

£47 - cheap basic offering

View attachment 174521

+++

i see this option too . . . .

£99 - looks like better quality extrusion and finish?

View attachment 174522
I have the camper essentials on. Thinking about swapping to the Reimo multi rail.

I have the camper essentials one also, although i dont remember it being that much !
The guy is local to me so i picked it up but that was a few years ago, the rail looks the same as the day i bought it

YES CHRIS. . . . !!!!

Thats what i was hoping for . . . . . the Rail with 100% fully detachable cassette wind out awning.

now. . . .

eg:

View attachment 174506

View attachment 174507

++

Description
The Reimo Multi-Rail Awning Rail is a high quality multi rail type awning rail for long-wheel-base VW T4 T5 T6 Transporter vans. The Reimo Multi-Rail Awning Rail fits just above the top of the door line at the edge of the roof of a VW T4, T5 or T6.
This multi-rail has two connection options for drive-away awnings and sun canopies, a C-profile channel for 6mm Kador and a gutter for pole and clamp kits. The gutter also deflects rainwater run-off away from the side of a van.
This Reimo Multi-Rail is for the left-hand side of long wheel-base vans and is supplied with both Reimo end profile spoilers.
Fitting
The main anodised aluminium part of the rail is fitted using the supplied self-tapping screws combined with an automotive adhesive like Sikaflex 221 (not supplied), can be added from the drop-down menu. The end profile spoilers slot into place and have self-adhesive backing.
Features
  • German design
Specifications
Includes: Aluminium multi-rail, self-tapping screws, 2 x end profile spoilers, surface cleaner sachet, instructions with photos in German and translated instructions in English
#

+++

just confirm . . .

View attachment 174508

+++

View attachment 174509View attachment 174510

+++

View attachment 174511

View attachment 174513
@Dellmassive - Yes, it is, as far as I know.

I love that.

That's exactly what I'm after...

Any chance you can list out your install/parts so I can shamelessly copy it?.
Not my install as mine is a Cali, so factory fitted heater, vents etc.

here is a thread from the forum with part numbers etc

Last edited:
YES CHRIS. . . . !!!!

now. . . .

eg:

View attachment 174506

View attachment 174507

++

Description
Fitting
Features
  • German design
Specifications
#

+++

just confirm . . .

View attachment 174508

+++

View attachment 174509View attachment 174510

+++

View attachment 174511

View attachment 174513
@Dellmassive

I've fitted a Reimo Multi Rail and Thule Omnistor wind out awning to a customers van specifically so that the wind out awning can be removed if required. I don't think it's what the brackets were originally designed for, but with the right ones it is possible to remove the awning cassette and brackets, leaving just the Multi Rail behind. It's not a 2 minute job, probably more like 10 minutes or so, but it can be done.

I'm not sure it can be done with the Fiamma, I haven't tried it, but it is definitely possible with the Reimo rail and Thule Omnistor awning.

Can't wait to see how the plan for your van evolves pal!

@The Van Cave

Awesome. Thank you Chris.

That's that sorted then....

I'll add those to the basket.....

Reimo Multi rail and Thule Omnistor awning.

Last edited:
Back