Deeper sliding door step

View attachment 83998
I have just purchased the Caravelle side step from VeeDub and it only measures 8.5cm from top of step to the top of the moulding ??

This one: Genuine VW T5/T5.1 Sliding Door Step Insert

My plywood floor is about 20mm thick in total so need the extra deep step and concerned this one won’t fit correctly

I have just purchased the Caravelle side step from VeeDub and it only measures 8.5cm from top of step to the top of the moulding ??

This one: Genuine VW T5/T5.1 Sliding Door Step Insert

My plywood floor is about 20mm thick in total so need the extra deep step and concerned this one won’t fit correctly
I think you have the wrong step, measure it like the one above in this thread. Is the illumination light slot the longer one? I believe it should be in a caravelle step, again see earlier replies to this thread.

The step in the link is a kombi step, not a caravelle step.

One easy way to tell the difference is that a kombi step has stright edges on the sides if looking from on top of it. This step is suitable for floors measuring around 15mm from the TOP OF THE RIBS in the floor. This step looks identical to a panel van step which does not offer any extra height. But ypu can tell the difference between the two as the kombi step has a light cut out.

A caravelle step does not have straight sides like the kombi step. It also has a upward lug on each side. This side difference and extra lugs are for the plastic trims which fit over the top to cover the B pillor and C pillor. This floor is suitable for around 20mm from the TOP OF THE RIBS in the floor.

I have added pictures below of a single kombi step, and another picture show a couple of caravelle steps.

Hope this helps Screenshot_20230620_084106_Google.jpgScreenshot_20230620_083506_Google~2.jpg

Last edited:
That is very helpful and yes I think your right it’s a Kombi step, and also annoying as it’s clearly labelled wrong on VeeDub website.

But it also means that there isn’t a step suitable for my van which has the higher drop (20mm floor) but in the kombi style? (Unless it’s by a 3rd party)

Might just have to go with this one and have it slightly poor fitting which sucks.

That is very helpful and yes I think your right it’s a Kombi step, and also annoying as it’s clearly labelled wrong on VeeDub website.

But it also means that there isn’t a step suitable for my van which has the higher drop (20mm floor) but in the kombi style? (Unless it’s by a 3rd party)

Might just have to go with this one and have it slightly poor fitting which sucks.
Why not buy a caravelle step? I have used them when the floor is raised to clear Reimo seat slides which I think are about the same as your floor. You will need the different step light and the adaptor wiring harness to connect to the original loom if you had a shorter step light originally. The different end shape is not a problem and the vertical mouldings are easy to remove with a craft knife. The wording on my light is 'Highline' but others are available.

Here is mine but it is the de-luxe version with stainless steel step insert the price of which you will not like!

You can see the complete camper on here.

1687262485551.png

I see that is a good option (wasn’t aware it was available without the stainless step insert). Although I have no idea where to source it from?

The wiring for my step light is custom anyway so not a bit issues to swap that but.

Back