Ply Flooring fitting steps

HerdyT6

Hi everyone

I’m sure this has been covered numerous times before, so apologies for that!! Found similar threads but no exact answers

Ply flooring, this is my understanding……

So it’s 9mm batons attached using Sikkaflex between the ridged sections

And then dodomat (DEADN?) between the batons, covering the ridges

And then thermo-acoustic lining over absolutely everything (dodo super liner?)

And then 12mm marine grade ply on top, screwed into the batons.

Here’s my other questions

My understanding is that 9mm batons are used to match the height of the ridges. When you put DEADN over the ridges, does it not then increase the height of the ridges, going higher than the batons? Does it then just squash down flush when the ply floor is screwed down?

How important is it to use the thermo-acoustic lining over the batons + DEADN? And if it needs to be used - what thickness, the website offers 5mm, 6mm, 10mm and 12mm.

Thanks

IMHO there is no requirement for the 2mm Deadn layer. The Deadn butyl vinyl stuff is to stop panel boom or resonance in large metal areas. The sixaflex'd battens and the ridges in the floor will stop this, you'll just be adding weight for no effect. We put 6mm Thermo liner straight on top of our battens and then screwed the floor down . It doesn't screw down flush but will compress the foam a little. 9mm Batten+6mm thermo liner+12mm ply (use 4x30mm screws) all fits well under the deeper kombi step.

IMHO there is no requirement for the 2mm Deadn layer. The Deadn butyl vinyl stuff is to stop panel boom or resonance in large metal areas. The sixaflex'd battens and the ridges in the floor will stop this, you'll just be adding weight for no effect. We put 6mm Thermo liner straight on top of our battens and then screwed the floor down . It doesn't screw down flush but will compress the foam a little. 9mm Batten+6mm thermo liner+12mm ply (use 4x30mm screws) all fits well under the deeper kombi step.
Thank you!

Is this the required deep step? Side Load Extra Deep ABS Door Step - VW T5 T6 - Vanstyle

Mines got barn doors, will I also need a modified plastic end/load bay trim?

Cheers

Yes. That's the style of deep step. There is one available with a light that you can wire in to the old cargo bay courtesy light circuit. Loads of info on forum if you search. If you go for the light version just make sure to buy a full kit with plugs and wires included. I didn't and now had to buy another wire kit just to get the plug.

For the rear, if you've only got a short threshold cover that only goes over the lock catches then definitely look at a full width one. We bought this one from THQ.

Back