DayVan: Night Heater or Not?

I'll do a test later tonight with thermal camera, I've gone ott on insulation so will be a good test :thumbsup:
A day late but better than never!

Few pics to give you an idea... Vans not moved for 24hrs btw

Ambient is supposedly 4, ground temp 1.9
flir_20210302T195257.jpg

Van body external temp flir_20210302T195316.jpg

Van floor temp, oem rubber floor and silent coated, no insulationflir_20210302T195403.jpg

Couple of pics of the interior panels, silent coat, 14mm dodo and plastic bottle insulation

flir_20210302T195414.jpgflir_20210302T195442.jpg

Worth adding that's without blinds on the rear windows or anything on the screen which is where the biggest losses are. When my van shades arrive I'll leave them closed for 24hrs and do it again see if it's any different

Worth adding that's without blinds on the rear windows or anything on the screen which is where the biggest losses are. When my van shades arrive I'll leave them closed for 24hrs and do it again see if it's any different
Love the pics and commentary, thank you. Amazing how perception and reality differ

That's great, thanks for the interesting write up. The levels we go to for a few degrees but all makes a difference!

The temperature will eventually equalise depending on the heat transfer rate and affected area.
Whatever you are applying needs to be able to deal with the environmental ambient temperature extremes that you plan to be in. Norway > Morocco???

The temperature will eventually equalise depending on the heat transfer rate and affected area.
Whatever you are applying needs to be able to deal with the environmental ambient temperature extremes that you plan to be in. Norway > Morocco???
Indeed its not that scientific. Just interesting to see the difference in temp of a van that's not been opened for 24hrs with some insulation etc.

If we can slow it down enough it could mean no requirement for diesel heater assuming two people in the van and I'm not parked in Antarctica

Edit to add, I could data log it which may be more interesting to compare internal and external temps, will have a think

Indeed its not that scientific. Just interesting to see the difference in temp of a van that's not been opened for 24hrs with some insulation etc.

If we can slow it down enough it could mean no requirement for diesel heater assuming two people in the van and I'm not parked in Antarctica

Edit to add, I could data log it which may be more interesting to compare internal and external temps, will have a think
Two people? Who you leaving at home? Mrs RedUn, or Little RedUn? :whistle:

I’m hairy as f*** and have a fully insulated van, believe me you’ll need a heater to sleep out in cold weather. If you don’t you’ll have a very damp van.

I'm of opinion heater is essential. I don't think i could cope with complaints of cold from kids and that. Once I've forked out for the conversion its not a huge amount more and I'd like to think I can use in pretty much most conditions.
If its worth owt I reckon I'll go externally mounted planar with silencer and app connected.

I kind of focused this thread on common interest of how cold does the van get when not in use. I think its useful having an idea of temp drop scientific or not. Cheers

I’m hairy as f*** and have a fully insulated van, believe me you’ll need a heater to sleep out in cold weather. If you don’t you’ll have a very damp van.
:rofl: it can't be worse than my old vango tent!

We'll never camp in genuine cold in all fairness, if we do l fit a heater as its not worth the earache as you know...

I'm of opinion heater is essential. I don't think i could cope with complaints of cold from kids and that. Once I've forked out for the conversion its not a huge amount more and I'd like to think I can use in pretty much most conditions.
If its worth owt I reckon I'll go externally mounted planar with silencer and app connected.

I kind of focused this thread on common interest of how cold does the van get when not in use. I think its useful having an idea of temp drop scientific or not. Cheers
Agreed, it's just interesting more than anything!

It would be interesting if you got the interior up to temp then see how long it takes to drop off (could have done with a before insulating reading though ;) )

I agree, a heater is a nice luxury to have. A mate didn’t get one andwas going to rely on leccy heater but after joining us at camper site last year with no EHU he’s now got one fitted

Shouldn’t be too bad at Sibbertoft in July, I’ll have the kids with me and that’s. all I was thinking about

Shouldn’t be too bad at Sibbertoft in July, I’ll have the kids with me and that’s. all I was thinking about
Ah, well then the hot water bottles suggestion could be the best option. Then refill them later when they’re asleep. Kids are very resilient remember and they’ll love it

Back