DayVan: Night Heater or Not?

RedUn

Kombi... work in progress
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Currently about 75% through my day van build and I'm completely undecided on whether to install a diesel heater or not... Figured I'd put it to the forum to get some opinions...

The setup is a fortywinks bed in the van and awning. We have a little one so mostly camping spring to autumn, no winter camping here. I've also gone insulation mad so I'd expect it to stay fairly warm as there's no pop top.

My original plan was to go with a planar plumbed in like the cali, with the mobile app so I can turn it on remotely. I figured we would probably use when sleeping over night but I guess not for long as it would get too hot? The other thinking was while out biking to turn it on and have a warm van to come back too?

In the end I've got no clue anymore...be handy if someone's got a day van and a heater and can confirm how much they use it, money we'll spent etc?

Thanks all!

Have you thought about fitting one of the Chinese copies? Sort of a suck it and see? Especially if you think you might not use it much.

As you know, we’ve got a pop top and with two young kids, I wouldn’t be without a heater. It’s spot on to be able to wake up and fire up the Webasto from bed and then get the kettle on. Wouldn’t hesitate if it was me. It’s good when you’re parked up in cold weather and don’t want to run the engine.

If you are always going to be on sites with hookup, then don’t bother. A cheap electric fan heater is all you need.
Having said that, we have a heater so we aren’t reliant on hookup, and we do camp in the winter.

Pete

Our camper was completed in May, so we effectively used it as a day van in June, and again when in Tier 3. Going out for the day, breakfast and lunch, or lunch and dinner, going for a walk on the hills and sitting reading the forum for the afternoon.

Even in June we used the heater. If you plan on using the van as a living space for more than an hour at a time in the UK I would say it is the best £1k you can spend on the van, even better if you can do it for less.

My Webasto gets a lot of use, can’t beat getting into a warm van at 07:00 on a cold winter morning.

Or last week we went for a long walk, it was bitterly cold, so I use the Thermocall app and preheat the van ready for when we got back to it.

We have a Ebersbacher Diesel heater and even though it cost quite a bit of money it has been worth every penny. When you wake in the morning you can just lean out of bed and turn it on and wait for the van to warm up whilst still under the quilt and then get up when the temperature is satisfactory. If you place your boots in front of the outlet they are nice and warm to put on as well. We didnt bother with a poptop because there are only two of us so it is only heating the old tin can.

I’m at this stage too! And the way I see it;
£600ish fitted DIY with supplied venting
£1000ish fitted DIY with VW Cali venting
£850 fitted at dealership
All Planar

We as said above ...Hook up only....£50 ( ish) 500w oil rad ...No fumes No noise No fuss...and clean energy.... generally we’d go off grid in the warmer months and when cooler use sites with hook up...it’s not for everyone but we try to be green :)

Currently about 75% through my day van build and I'm completely undecided on whether to install a diesel heater or not... Figured I'd put it to the forum to get some opinions...

The setup is a fortywinks bed in the van and awning. We have a little one so mostly camping spring to autumn, no winter camping here. I've also gone insulation mad so I'd expect it to stay fairly warm as there's no pop top.

My original plan was to go with a planar plumbed in like the cali, with the mobile app so I can turn it on remotely. I figured we would probably use when sleeping over night but I guess not for long as it would get too hot? The other thinking was while out biking to turn it on and have a warm van to come back too?

In the end I've got no clue anymore...be handy if someone's got a day van and a heater and can confirm how much they use it, money we'll spent etc?

Thanks all!

Worth mentioning that they can be a Cooling Fan as well as a Heater. The Eberspacher I have fitted is an unsung hero that, without, I would definitely miss the convenience and comfort of. Like most things, it comes at an initial cost, but the benefits are a ‘no brainer‘.

So, from my POV, do it if you can and good luck in your quest...

Thanks all, super interesting points, some I didn't even think off until I read them!

@Dave Lawson I was thinking the same although I started wondering about internal mounting which means no cali vents but maybe some trick way of doing it very stealthy :geek:

Thanks all, super interesting points, some I didn't even think off until I read them!

@Dave Lawson I was thinking the same although I started wondering about internal mounting which means no cali vents but maybe some trick way of doing it very stealthy :geek:
Why internal, I cant think of any + points but a few - ones.

Reactions: JOG
I would always say mount internally as a first option not a last. They are all designed for internal mounting not external and any time they are mounted externally they are more at risk from damage from collision with an object or water even when mounted in an external box. ( I have seen some horrendous sights from water damage in boxed underslung heaters)
It is only when you reach the size of the 3.5Kw and above heaters that you have to think harder as to where you mount one internally, the smaller ones can be tucked into all sorts of little spaces. You must always allow for relatively easy removal for service wherever you mount one.

I was in a similar quandary @RedUn whether to bother or not, but having been away on a few day trips, beach/surfing/climbing etc defo going down this route as wife and wee one feel the cold (did consider going for an external gas tank and a gas heater but too many ££££'s!)
I'm booked in for a Planar instal in early May with Taylored Campervans and was going to be going external until I saw Mommabears recent post and the damage there, so now thinking internal (and listening to @oldiebut goodie 's advice too)

Can anyone confirm if the `Planar has the cooling fan function that Daleboy mentions on the Eberspacher?

Can anyone confirm if the `Planar has the cooling fan function that Daleboy mentions on the Eberspacher?

They have a ventilation function so technically is not cooling but much the same effect as having a fan which is better than nothing on a hot day.

Last edited:
My bad, the Fan that cools us isn’t a Cooling Fan in true AC stylee...

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Back