Planar Night-Heater faulty ?

Stu ratcliffe

Hi I have a planar heater in our van which as 2 vents the one in the back is blowing warm air but I wouldn't say it's that hot even with the temp set too high and there is a vent in the front passenger side which is blowing cold air is that normal I'm not too good on instructions but I thought you just pressed it and the heater came on I'm thinking there's something wrong and it should be blowing hot air from both vents or if it's ok is that how heaters work . Ps it's my first post so excuse me if I sound a bit daft

The one in the front is probably the air intake, it shouldn't be blowing anything.
It can take a while fir it to get to optimum heat and can be affected by where your external temp sensor is, if you have one.

Depends on your planar control panel settings.
I have mine set on power mode, as opposed to thermostat (which uses either panel temp sensor or heater unit sensor) as I’ve found it a more consistent temp this way.
Have a look at some YouTube vids and re read the instructions. They are a bit of a nightmare to get the hang of.

Hi I have a planar heater in our van which as 2 vents the one in the back is blowing warm air but I wouldn't say it's that hot even with the temp set too high and there is a vent in the front passenger side which is blowing cold air is that normal I'm not too good on instructions but I thought you just pressed it and the heater came on I'm thinking there's something wrong and it should be blowing hot air from both vents or if it's ok is that how heaters work . Ps it's my first post so excuse me if I sound a bit daft
Typically one pipe should blow warm air and one should draw air in. Thera is also a setting on the controls where you can increase the heat output, it may be set in the middle so the heat is not very hot when blowing. Cheers

Hi I thought that the only control was a temp increase and decrease button and I didn't think I could press it to get the same heat to the cab
Thanks

depends on the controller, some digital ones have settings where you can set the heat output, similar to some induction hobs where you can set the full power to be a certain output. Send a photo of yor controller

check the front vent is sucking, put a thin piece of paper over it, does it 'stick' to the vent or blow away?
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have a PU27 controller and I always make sure that the set temp is around 12, ventilation mode is ticked, and panel temp selected. Then when starting make sure the heater starts in Heating mode not ventilation mode as noted above.

Then when it starts make sure the temp number is above whatever the panel temp reading is. Then leave for a few mins to get going. BTW the numbers have no correlation to degrees C in my experience. I don’t have an external temp sensor.

Back