Requirements and Recomendations for 2/3 Nights.....

MattPoss

Construction Manager
T6 Pro
Currently looking to do a bit more to the van to make it more suitable for a 2/3 Night getaway (after work Friday until Sunday kind of thing). I live 30mins from the Lakes so a quick weekend getaway would be ideal. Theres me, my partner and our 18month old son, potentially our 2 spaniels too......

I have a 7.5m long 4 berth caravan and porch awning at the minute which is great and has loads of space but it also quite a faff when only doing a couple of nights, especially by the time your sort it all before setting off, drag it where you're going, set it up when you get there and sort it out again when you get back. I've had it 5 years now and never done more than 4 nights at a time in it, hence thinking id be better doing some short breaks in the van

My van is a T32 SWB, double front bench seat, bottom half of bulkhead still in. Started out as a panel van but i've done a kombi conversion on it with sound deadening, insulation, with a blackout screen cover and blackout curtains. I've also just got a kombi bed for it. As it stands, thats all it's got at the moment

Basically, what im after is something thats going to be comfortable for us for 2/3 nights away at a time with enough space for us all but without going over the top. I quite like the idea of not always relying on a 240v hook up either, may give a wider choice of campsites? I'm currently thinking....
  • Leisure battery set up (would i need 240v or portable solar capability?)
  • Diesel heater (if nessecary? We'd only go away in summer but we have got an 18 month old...)
  • Portable travel fridge (something like the Transpoter HQ one)
  • Tarp/canopy or air awning (something Vango Kela size or is that a bit overkill for a couple of night's?)
I need to keep it as a kombi so dont want a full camper set up or a pop top but as the kombi bed fills the van need somewhere to be if its chucking it down with rain. Keen to see what others need or use and would suggest......

Solar and leisure battery will see you fine if its a decent panel and always get a MPPT controller for it as they are more efficient at extracting the power produced. We have a Victron 175W panel and smart MPPT controller as an example. It can get nippy early/ late season through the night. We have a diesel heater but you`ll know best if you need one. We don't have an awning, and have a fixed fridge as its a camper conversion, but check out the power consumption on whatever you buy. Some cool boxes can be power hungry.

Bunk that slings width ways across the front seats seems a popular choice for small kids, especially if just the one.

With regards to a Solar Panel, i was thinking more of a portable one as oppose to a permanently fixed one for the amount it would get used (something like the 100w Dokio ones on Amazon). My thoughts were to have just a leisure battery and 12v DC-DC system installed (no 240v hookup system in the van) which would run the internal lights, fridge/cooler and charging phones etc then if needs be just chuck a camping RCD protected 240v hookup through the window to give any 240v power required (as and when, depending if it was available). I would have a solar input on the 12 DC-DC such as a CTEK with a set of tail's and connector so i could easily put a portable solar unit outside and connect it straight in. I'd also have a set of tail's and connector on the leisure battery so I could plug a charger into the 240v hookup to charge the leisure battery. What's everyones thought on this kind of setup?

I'd likely try to get 240v hookup when im away with the family but some places we go (we go to a lot of British Superbikes which is 2/3 nights with no hookup available) then we'd just have the 12v only system

I like the cab bunk idea too, especially when he's only young. I've seen the Forty Winks one which looks very good if not a tad pricey for the amount i'd be using it....

Generally we don't have any heating on overnight in the caravan so likely wouldn't need a diesel heater, i suppose this could always be added on afterwards anyway

Also, with regards to a driveaway awning, do many use them with the velcro straps onto the roof bars and a couple of guy ropes over the roof? I already have roof bars installed so would save needing an awning rail and also may help with the issue of the sliding door catching the awning tunnel that i've seen others have an issue with...

Last edited:
We often go away for 2/3 nights with just a 12v halfords coolbox, with ice blocks in bottom. We plug the cool box in when driving (running off lesiure battery) and unplug it when we arrive, food lasts fine. In fact we've been away for a couple of weeks with the same, a lot of campsites have freezers for re freezing the blocks. I keep thinking about getting a compressor fridge and solar panel, but the fridges take a lot of space and we dont really need it. If you want ice cold beer or icecream however that wont work

Maybe look at a mobile battery pack? Lot of people using and would solve a lot of your problems

We have a diesel heater, its great, we do use it (I use it more for defrosting in winter) but have stayed out for nights down to -4 before getting it and we're still here.

Back