DayVan: Night Heater or Not?

Thanks all, super interesting points, some I didn't even think off until I read them!

@Dave Lawson I was thinking the same although I started wondering about internal mounting which means no cali vents but maybe some trick way of doing it very stealthy :geek:
Be interested to see what you come with

Even on a day van and even with a Chinese looking-likie, it will be a good addition

I would always say mount internally as a first option not a last. They are all designed for internal mounting not external and any time they are mounted externally they are more at risk from damage from collision with an object or water even when mounted in an external box. ( I have seen some horrendous sights from water damage in boxed underslung heaters)
It is only when you reach the size of the 3.5Kw and above heaters that you have to think harder as to where you mount one internally, the smaller ones can be tucked into all sorts of little spaces. You must always allow for relatively easy removal for service wherever you mount one.
I was thinking under the drivers seat, all my leisure stuff is under the passenger so its just sat there empty?

My van is lowered a reasonable amount too so its probably not a bad idea to keep it inside?

I was thinking under the drivers seat, all my leisure stuff is under the passenger so its just sat there empty?

My van is lowered a reasonable amount too so its probably not a bad idea to keep it inside?

Mine is under the Drivers seat, takes up about half the space, get it offset so the other half is more usable.

Mine is under the Drivers seat, takes up about half the space, get it offset so the other half is more usable.
Have you got any pics of the install? I'm just looking into that now :geek:

No, but for now, suffice to add it’s occupying the inner half (To enable the outlet to clear the fitted furniture footprint) Will take a snap AM...

Not mine, but gives a more easily visible view of the point I was making...

FF6F4943-1ADA-4B43-8A98-BFC7B4B43631.jpeg

The thought of Chinese copies scares me (I’m a Safety Engineer).
If you must go that route then do as much research into the particular model you are buying to ensure that it really does have the appropriate certification and that certification is relevant and legitimate. Please. Pretty please.

I was planning on going for a planar, don't fancy setting my van on fire with a Chinese one :whistle:

Does anybody know what the temperature drop in van is compared to outside?
Just thinking of when van is sat on drive unoccupied. Slightly off topic reason as looking to get flooring installed and can't decide on adhesive. If internal goes below 4 then high tenp adhesive can fail!

I was planning on going for a planar, don't fancy setting my van on fire with a Chinese one :whistle:
There are loads of people using chinese heaters. Look on the facebook pages. I bet you cant find one report of one setting a van on fire. In fact their reliability is better than VW's ;)

Just thinking of when van is sat on drive unoccupied. Slightly off topic reason as looking to get flooring installed and can't decide on adhesive. If internal goes below 4 then high tenp adhesive can fail!

@Graeme_B it will never get colder than the outside air temp, or as cold as the frost sitting on the roof and windows. but could drop the inside temp to freeze the same as the frost. if you putting a floor in wont you insulate the walls and roof the glue failing on the floor wont matter. it wont go any were or move once its down

@Graeme_B it will never get colder than the outside air temp, or as cold as the frost sitting on the roof and windows. but could drop the inside temp to freeze the same as the frost. if you putting a floor in wont you insulate the walls and roof the glue failing on the floor wont matter. it wont go any were or move once its down

Thanks @Mud Digger - fully appreciate that, maybe my post wasn't fully clear. Am putting down packer thermoliner and 12mm ply floor then using LVT as floor finish. The floor supplier suggested high temp adhesive can fail below 4 degrees, if in lower temp they will use epoxy instead as sometimes seen flooring laid in garages without heating come up. I'm trying to work out with insulation will temp drop too low. Hoping to take the van to alps for snowboarding so could get pretty cold!

LOL @Graeme_B could only tell you about how temperature works you are having the floor insulated then adding 12 ply the cold wont come up through the ply, wood is an insulator and backed up by insulation the downward air could get very cold with snow and ice on the roof if that's with out insulation. i lined mine right through with Do Do Extreme liner even foam injected the cross members and side channels if you use epoxy you will never lift the LV tiles if you wanted to replace any damaged or scuffed...... they did't say if the garages were ply lined or just stuck down on screed.

I'll do a test later tonight with thermal camera, I've gone ott on insulation so will be a good test :thumbsup:

There are loads of people using chinese heaters. Look on the facebook pages. I bet you cant find one report of one setting a van on fire. In fact their reliability is better than VW's ;)
And long may that remain the case! I wouldn’t wish a van fire on anyone. Just one such failure is one too many, and that is what appropriate certification seeks to achieve. If no incidents have occurred up to now then good, but for peace of mind and to not become the first statistic, I continue to advise against them.

Back