Review: DAV-TEC

Please bear with me on this, I know it looks a bit long-winded, but I think it’s worth having a bit of background detail….

My van is the EU6 102 engine with adblue.

Sometime in June the dreaded flashing coil light made an appearance one afternoon when I’d just started the van and I was leaving work! During that journey to drop something off the van was running on limited power. When I restarted the van, the fault had disappeared and all was back to normal for my journey home…. and to be fair, I’ve had no faults since, but after reading the endless nightmare stories on this forum + previous personal experience with a blocked/failed EGR valve, this got me worried that it might be EGR problems?

I contacted @Dav-Tec (Chris) who by now had done a number of very successful jobs/upgrade’s on my van to see if he could work his magic with a possible EGR delete? Unbeknown to me, @Texxaco (Pete) had been having similar issues with his stunner of a T6 and had already had the @Dav-Tec treatment in the way of a EGR and ADBLUE ‘solution’!

At the T6Forum summer camp meet in July, Chris kindly scanned my van and found that the fault was actually with the adblue system and not the devil’s work EGR as I’d suspected…. either way, I wanted the EGR sorting! So I got booked in with Chris to have a custom remap which would include the same EGR and adblue ‘solution’ as Pete’s van.

On the day of the remap, Chris did a scan as he always does prior to any work…. goes through any fault codes with me and when looking back at previous scan’s, Chris discovered that this adblue fault had history and was showing up on most of the previous scan’s. I told Chris as well that I’d very recently noticed the smell of diesel fumes on startup…. not necessarily in the cab, just in general around the van and when we went out on the first data logging run it was clear that something wasn’t quite right?

When we got back to Dav-Tec HQ, Chris found that the rear EGR pipe was split and exhaust gases were p#ssing out into the engine bay and this was causing the boost pressure problem. No problem for Chris, he removed the split pipe, fabricated a couple of ‘delete’ plates from some sheet steel, refitted the lot and we went out on another data logging run. Much better (near perfect) results meant that a new custom map could be written to include the EGR ‘solution’ and away I went.

I’ve been driving around with the new map now for a week…. to and from work and the usual runs and roads so that I could get a comparison with what I had before (which by the way was a generic Pendle map installed by Leighton Vans). Don’t get me wrong, I had no complaints or issues with the previous map…. I’d had it on there for over two years, but because of the running issues, I needed a ‘solution’ and Chris’s custom remap ticked all my boxes.

I couldn’t be happier with the results of the custom map supplied by Chris…. the engine runs free and smooth even from a cold start up and pulls progressively, purposely and smoothly throughout.

I want to thank Chris for going above and beyond as he always does…. and also his very patient wife Tracy for putting up with me on that Saturday!

Cheers, Matt :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Please bear with me on this, I know it looks a bit long-winded, but I think it’s worth having a bit of background detail….

Sometime in June the dreaded flashing coil light made an appearance one afternoon when I’d just started the van and I was leaving work! During that journey to drop something off the van was running on limited power. When I restarted the van, the fault had disappeared and all was back to normal for my journey home…. and to be fair, I’ve had no faults since, but after reading the endless nightmare stories on this forum + previous personal experience with a blocked/failed EGR valve, this got me worried that it might be EGR problems?

I contacted @Dav-Tec (Chris) who by now had done a number of very successful jobs/upgrade’s on my van to see if he could work his magic with a possible EGR delete? Unbeknown to me, @Texxaco (Pete) had been having similar issues with his stunner of a T6 and had already had the @Dav-Tec treatment in the way of a EGR and ADBLUE ‘solution’!

At the T6Forum summer camp meet in July, Chris kindly scanned my van and found that the fault was actually with the adblue system and not the devil’s work EGR as I’d suspected…. either way, I wanted the EGR sorting! So I got booked in with Chris to have a custom remap which would include the same EGR and adblue ‘solution’ as Pete’s van.

On the day of the remap, Chris did a scan as he always does prior to any work…. goes through any fault codes with me and when looking back at previous scan’s, Chris discovered that this adblue fault had history and was showing up on most of the previous scan’s. I told Chris as well that I’d very recently noticed the smell of diesel fumes on startup…. not necessarily in the cab, just in general around the van and when we went out on the first data logging run it was clear that something wasn’t quite right?

When we got back to Dav-Tec HQ, Chris found that the rear EGR pipe was split and exhaust gases were p#ssing out into the engine bay and this was causing the boost pressure problem. No problem for Chris, he removed the split pipe, fabricated a couple of ‘delete’ plates from some sheet steel, refitted the lot and we went out on another data logging run. Much better (near perfect) results meant that a new custom map could be written to include the EGR ‘solution’ and away I went.

I’ve been driving around with the new map now for a week…. to and from work and the usual runs and roads so that I could get a comparison with what I had before (which by the way was a generic Pendle map installed by Leighton Vans). Don’t get me wrong, I had no complaints or issues with the previous map…. I’d had it on there for over two years, but because of the running issues, I needed a ‘solution’ and Chris’s custom remap ticked all my boxes.

I couldn’t be happier with the results of the custom map supplied by Chris…. the engine runs free and smooth even from a cold start up and pulls progressively, purposely and smoothly throughout.

I want to thank Chris for going above and beyond as he always does…. and also his very patient wife Tracy for putting up with me on that Saturday!

Great to hear you are now running fault free mate. It is a breath of fresh air (no pun Intended) when the rear EGR is removed and deleted. The chap who works with Chris on the mapping is a bloody genius and if the maps he provides are good enough for race teams then any T6 would benefit from these custom remaps, no matter what engine your van has.

As always, amazing work by Chris @Dav-Tec. Need to get Floyd to his new unit this month for some more work.

Great to hear you are now running fault free mate. It is a breath of fresh air (no pun Intended) when the rear EGR is removed and deleted. The chap who works with Chris on the mapping is a bloody genius and if the maps he provides are good enough for race teams then any T6 would benefit from these custom remaps, no matter what engine your van has.

As always, amazing work by Chris @Dav-Tec. Need to get Floyd to his new unit this month for some more work.
Who is this mapper, and what is his company name?

Ah mate that's great news. It's always a pleasure never a chore to see you Matt. Tracy knows I'm like a pig in sh#t fettling with a van from the VW stable.

Fred truly is brilliant mate. Thanks for the feed back

Yes mate need to get those tunes sorted. Bring an army I have 895sq.ft of unit to decorate and restructure... Oh did I mention I'm impatient and what it done yesterday

I have posted this eleswhere but I will also add it here.

This weekend @Dav-Tec fitted a new Head Unit (Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB) and Reversing Camera to my van, that I am very pleased with.

It has kept the steering wheel controls, the USB connection, the parking sensor beeps and shows the reverse image when I select reverse.

It also gives me DAB and Apple Carplay for me to show Waze through it.

335DD0D9-0A43-409B-95E2-63E38A3BE32C.jpeg

The camera is fitted very neatly above the number plate;

52927999-1ED6-4ECF-8B42-CE48EB515895.jpeg

And as a bonus Dav-Tec also ran a wire to the tailgate for some work lights while he had the trim off;

09EC517F-C1F4-4B47-B7CE-FEA0FAF63A6D.jpeg

Overall I am very pleased with the install and would recommend anyone else in the Midlands / North to give Dav-Tec a call.

Had a remote unlock of my discover media head unit to get the CarPlay working. Had some hurdles with the remote connection but a bit of perseverance and got it all sorted the next day. Good service all round.
Cheers buddy. Yes TeamViewer isn't the best at times at connecting windows and Mac but at least we got there

Chris recently installed a tracker on my new T6.1. The installation was done in a couple of hours, with a full explanation of the system and its workings. All done in a friendly, professional and helpful manner. We had a good chat about other possible work, and I'd have no qualms at all about going back to Chris in the future.

Chris recently installed a tracker on my new T6.1. The installation was done in a couple of hours, with a full explanation of the system and its workings. All done in a friendly, professional and helpful manner. We had a good chat about other possible work, and I'd have no qualms at all about going back to Chris in the future.
You were in very safe hands.

My story is the same as @T6ARF's detailed earlier in this trail and i can also highly recommend Chris and his map guru Fred.

I've ran a generic map for 3years and had no complaints as it produced great power over the standard VW one but following the logging by Chris the custom map what we ended up with is way better, the power comes in so smoothly from low down and pulls hard all the way and this paired with the DSG tweaks makes for a fun drive when you want to play and a supper smooth one when you just want to potter about.
As happened with @T6ARF we also found a split EGR pipe which was taken care of (Chris had fun and games doing that :whistle:) and also addressed the shite Adblue system issues once and for all which was why i initially contacted Chris.

All in all i'm well happy with the results and will be back over to Chris for more updates without a shadow of doubt.

If you have been toying with getting a map or any security/ICE updates he's your man.

Back