Review: DAV-TEC

My story is the same as @T6ARF's detailed earlier in this trail and i can also highly recommend Chris and his map guru Fred.

I've ran a generic map for 3years and had no complaints as it produced great power over the standard VW one but following the logging by Chris the custom map what we ended up with is way better, the power comes in so smoothly from low down and pulls hard all the way and this paired with the DSG tweaks makes for a fun drive when you want to play and a supper smooth one when you just want to potter about.
As happened with @T6ARF we also found a split EGR pipe which was taken care of (Chris had fun and games doing that :whistle:) and also addressed the shite Adblue system issues once and for all which was why i initially contacted Chris.

All in all i'm well happy with the results and will be back over to Chris for more updates without a shadow of doubt.

If you have been toying with getting a map or any security/ICE updates he's your man.
Cheers buddy. Glad to here your happy with the results. Fred truly is a master at his craft. It's why I use him.

Your EGR pipe was testing to say the least but I've found a better solution following on from that and a chat with Fred

Many thanks to Chris at Dav-Tec for living up to his well-earned reputation. Following a recent camper conversation (and so not insignificant value increase), Brentacre mandated the installation of an S5 Tracker. I did my research, and Dav-Tec kept coming up, so I went big and opted for their Ghost II & MetaTrak S5 Deadlock Pro tracker combo.

Logistics were difficult...it's not far from Nottingham to Bolsover, but work commitments meant I needed to be able to drop the van off late on Sunday night, and I couldn't get back to collect it until late on Tuesday night. Chris couldn't have been more accommodating, and waited around for me both nights.

He's clearly incredibly technically minded, but he's savvy enough to be able to dumb-down to my level, and talked me through the setup and config of both systems (and looked at some issues I was having with my internal lights, power to my fridge, etc.) using words that made sense to me ;)

1665097841874.png

Before fitting the systems, he made me aware that my Varta battery wasn't looking healthy, and was going to need to be carefully monitored. Wise words, as my battery failed a few days later, and (for reasons that we don't need to go into) my van was parked in such a position that the drivers door was tight up against a wall...meaning I couldn't get in!!

I pinged Chris a whatsapp, and he replied immediately...he arranged to leave work early, ordered a new replacement battery, and would be round at my house to replace it within the hour. At the same time, he was researching ways in which we could solve my dilemma of somehow getting into my van so that he could replace the battery. As it happened (and after pinging my friends at @Visiontech Automotive and @Keaney for ideas...who all laughed at me :)) I managed to pop the passenger door lever from the inside from the crack in the drivers door using an improvised pole and hook :whistle:...so at least Chris didn't need to break anything.

Brilliant service, and an all-round great guy. I'm already talking to him about a few items (flat-bottomed steering wheel for one)...because I feel like this week hasn't been expensive enough <cough>

Many thanks to Chris at Dav-Tec for living up to his well-earned reputation. Following a recent camper conversation (and so not insignificant value increase), Brentacre mandated the installation of an S5 Tracker. I did my research, and Dav-Tec kept coming up, so I went big and opted for their Ghost II & MetaTrak S5 Deadlock Pro tracker combo.

Logistics were difficult...it's not far from Nottingham to Bolsover, but work commitments meant I needed to be able to drop the van off late on Sunday night, and I couldn't get back to collect it until late on Tuesday night. Chris couldn't have been more accommodating, and waited around for me both nights.

He's clearly incredibly technically minded, but he's savvy enough to be able to dumb-down to my level, and talked me through the setup and config of both systems (and looked at some issues I was having with my internal lights, power to my fridge, etc.) using words that made sense to me ;)

View attachment 175233

Before fitting the systems, he made me aware that my Varta battery wasn't looking healthy, and was going to need to be carefully monitored. Wise words, as my battery failed a few days later, and (for reasons that we don't need to go into) my van was parked in such a position that the drivers door was tight up against a wall...meaning I couldn't get in!!

I pinged Chris a whatsapp, and he replied immediately...he arranged to leave work early, ordered a new replacement battery, and would be round at my house to replace it within the hour. At the same time, he was researching ways in which we could solve my dilemma of somehow getting into my van so that he could replace the battery. As it happened (and after pinging my friends at @Visiontech Automotive and @Keaney for ideas...who all laughed at me :)) I managed to pop the passenger door lever from the inside from the crack in the drivers door using an improvised pole and hook :whistle:...so at least Chris didn't need to break anything.

Brilliant service, and an all-round great guy. I'm already talking to him about a few items (flat-bottomed steering wheel for one)...because I feel like this week hasn't been expensive enough <cough>
Glad you're impressed mate and glad you're happy with the service. Looking forward to seeing your van again. Cheers Ian!

View attachment 175233

Nice write up.

So is your van converted now not just as a Velle?

Glad you're impressed mate and glad you're happy with the service. Looking forward to seeing your van again. Cheers Ian!
Keep up the good work @Dav-Tec, people pay a fortune to advertise but your work and work ethic is now Savin you this cost.

See on the 28Th buddy for the next round of audio upgrade o Floyd.

Not sure what you mean buddy (and am not 100% sure of a caravelle spec). What are you asking? Just curious
He's enquiring if you've had a camper conversion (which, I would say, is a good indication that your stealth roof is doing its job :D).

Not sure what you mean buddy (and am not 100% sure of a caravelle spec). What are you asking? Just curious
I meant i thought your van had the triple caravelle bed on rails. Now you say its had a full conversion which made me think the velle seat has been taken out and its now a camper with kitchen in etc.

I meant i thought your van had the triple caravelle bed on rails. Now you say its had a full conversion which made me think the velle seat has been taken out and its now a camper with kitchen in etc.
Gotcha. Nah, was originally a kombi, with a static 3-seater bench seat in it. Now has a Reimo Variotech 3000 on rails...and is full camper with kitchen / pop-top, etc.

More praise for Chris & Co. @Dav-Tec
My van spent a few days with him finally getting a Meta-trak fitted & making the shockingly bad sounding VW ICE make decent noises.
Always good coms & honest advise, even decent coffee/cakes across the road from his unit these days...whatever next:giggle:

After some proper sound deadening to the doors, rear speakers adding, the fronts being replaced with something not worthy of being 'fridge magnets', & a nice amp install, I now have something actually very musical.

It's now actually a pleasure to listen to music in the van c/w the once background rattle of road noise & thin tinny noise coming from the Std VW bin fodder.

The downside of knowing Chris is that my wallet is slightly lighter, & most likely going to be even lighter again soon:rolleyes: as he will be improving my van again in the future.

All I can suggest to those interested in the stuff he does is, book soon with Chris!

Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 21-16-14 Dav-Tec (@dav_tec) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 21-18-00 Dav-Tec (@dav_tec) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 21-17-27 Dav-Tec (@dav_tec) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 21-16-43 Dav-Tec (@dav_tec) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 21-21-19 Dav-Tec (@dav_tec) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Hi @BikerPa thank you mate. Glad you're happy with the service and upgrades. The Audison stuff truly is cracking kit and for the money will suit most people's needs with maybe the addition of a sub at most.

Enjoy it mate and see you soon!

Just got my Mrs head unit sorted for Android Auto off of Chris. Brilliant guy that has the patience of a Saint as I was pretty useless at explaining stuff.

But with his help and expertise he had me up n running in about 30 mins with remote assistance.

100% would recommend. Had only joined this forum under a Google search for my exact issue, and can now see why he is so highly recommended.

Just got my Mrs head unit sorted for Android Auto off of Chris. Brilliant guy that has the patience of a Saint as I was pretty useless at explaining stuff.

But with his help and expertise he had me up n running in about 30 mins with remote assistance.

100% would recommend. Had only joined this forum under a Google search for my exact issue, and can now see why he is so highly recommended.
...and the forum too? :laugh:

Another positive feedback review. @Dav-Tec (Chris) unlocked my Webasto diesel heater to run my self installed T91R set up. It was a bitterly cold morning and Chris messaged me before I set off on my 2 hour journey to say he had been feeling unwell but was willing to honour the booking slot if I were happy to be around him being unwell. Thankfully I did as my Webasto heater now works perfectly on the remote. Chris also took the time to go over a couple of faults that had appeared and diagnostic checks, including cleaning the contacts on both sliding doors. It's a small job but its the service and the extra mile that counts. Would recommend and use him again for future projects.

Following my visit last year for an install of a front & rear facing dashcam, I had my t6.1 booked in with Chris at Dav-tec over the weekend to sort out a poorly installed audio upgrade (carried out by another converter) and to give the front driver and passenger doors the sound deadening treatment.

After such a positive experience on my previous visit (Chris is the epitome of professional, knowledgeable, trustworthy and just a generally nice fella) we had got talking about the aforementioned audio install, what were the issues (it sounded crap), why this was so and how it could be improved. Chris recommend installing a correctly sized Audison amp which would cope with both the speakers (front & rear) and a subwoofer. During the install numerous instances of less than satisfactory workmanship were found and corrected and a new subwoofer was installed (which wasn't the plan but the information we had been given on the spec of the subwoofer installed by the converter was incorrect!).

Chris has the ability to explain what work is involved, and then takes the time to go through the setup and explain it to someone has little techinical knowledge in a simplified way. It made me feel nothing but confident in the work he does and all of which has exceeded my expectations. I would not

Having taken my van to Chris at 9am on Saturday he was still working on it at 21:30 saturday night and not happy with the tune he'd given it, was back in at 7am on Sunday adjusting it to his satisfaction before i collected it at 9am.

Will definitely be back for more work in the near future, infact i'm waiting for him to order some more parts so I can make another visit!

Thanks again Chris.

18042e10-dfa0-4be5-b4f8-c68d6b12b29a.jpeg

2d1156e0-408e-4fc5-9d43-f55236f5204a.jpeg

978cb5cb-72f6-41b4-a051-7acf5d82ef13.jpeg

dc6f35e3-f68b-4ad2-8e88-19afceedb09d.jpeg

5e223bd8-dbd9-416e-b26f-86493bb211ab.jpeg

914b4bdb-a282-4d24-b06b-dcb6495f61f6.jpeg

bb23ab45-09da-4b4a-aacd-a8cd7c049e28.jpeg

0c6601b2-2cae-490b-b0fa-3558cd2ec0aa.jpeg

9ef1bb55-b3cb-486d-9b93-06322f1db159.jpeg

b76dac89-fee9-4195-b3d0-7d4a7cc2194e.jpeg

Thanks pal. Glad your happy. Sounded sweet when it left! Just a side not with exception to Pictures 2, 4 & 5 the rest are what we found not what we installed. 2,4 and 5 is us making progress

@Dav-Tec Chris one thing that is driving me nuts is the climate control on my 2017 T6 Highline. It is either Artic or Sahara. I am travelling back and forward to Austria, France and Spain skiing. I can never get it right. Constantly fiddling he controls up or down.

The heating knob with the temperature scale does not cut it for me. Is there anyway of digitally improving the setting of the heating?

EDIT: I have the Climatic system I guess I am talking about an upgrade to the Climatronic system

Last edited:
Thanks @Dav-Tec for fitting a Meta-Trak deadlock system to our 6 day old T6.1 today. I had a nice stroll around Bolsover as Chris worked and I got a good explanation of how it works once he’d finished. It’s great to know our new van now has multiple layers of security to keep it safe

Back