Dashcam power source.

kkev

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Morning.
I've got a dashcam to fit to my 2016 t6 rearview mirror.
Is there a suitable power supply in the courtesy light.
I don't want trailing cable and lighter socket plug in thing.
TIA.

Morning.
TIA.
Best taken from the fuse panel under the gear shifter using a piggy back fuse.
Cable routing is easy.

As above, under the front edge of the roof headlining, down the passenger side A pillar, round the back of the glovebox and into the fuse box below the gearstick.

Morning.
TIA.
Be careful if you are going to cut off your lighter socket plug in thing they usually drop the voltage.

Just a thought…..if it is a Nextbase then you can set the screen to display your speed and this can be in mph or kph.
we found this so useful, especially when in France, that we relocated the dash cam to where we could see it at the bottom of the screen.
probably of no use/interest to you but thought worth a mention just in case.

Also, if you take the dash end panel off and disconnect the air bag switch DO NOT put the ignition on as you will get an air bag warning that will need diagnostics plugging in to remove it!

I’ve fitted a dash cam by the mirror and routed the cable around the edge of the head lining and A pillar. Used a screw behind the end panel for the earth and an ignition switched slot in the fuse panel below the gearstick for the piggy back fuse holder. Make sure you get it in the right way around so power is actually going through the fuse!!

Ian

Just a thought…..if it is a Nextbase then you can set the screen to display your speed and this can be in mph or kph.
we found this so useful, especially when in France, that we relocated the dash cam to where we could see it at the bottom of the screen.
probably of no use/interest to you but thought worth a mention just in case.
It is a nextbase, xmas present from wife. Coming to end of conversion so want to get it fitted.

Also, if you take the dash end panel off and disconnect the air bag switch DO NOT put the ignition on as you will get an air bag warning that will need diagnostics plugging in to remove it!

I’ve fitted a dash cam by the mirror and routed the cable around the edge of the head lining and A pillar. Used a screw behind the end panel for the earth and an ignition switched slot in the fuse panel below the gearstick for the piggy back fuse holder. Make sure you get it in the right way around so power is actually going through the fuse!!

Ian
Does it need to be permanently live to record any incidents while vehicle is unattended?

The Nextbase has a vibration trigger and will record on it’s internal battery when the key switch is off.
It’s worth remembering that it can also incriminate the owner if they are in the wrong and don‘t forget it’s also recording what’s said in the cab.

I’ve had mine about 18 months now and the internal battery has just about had it- it only lasts about 5 minutes after it’s turned off.

Back