Dash Cam Mystery

Hi, need to rack some brains on a baffler for me. I have a 21 plate T6.1 and want to hard wire a dash cam in. I've fitted a number of hardwired dash cams to various vehicles over the years so am pretty confident I know what I'm doing.

I sourced a good earth and live feed and put a multi meter on the piggy back fuse wire and area where my earth is going and got a good reading. I attached the earth and plugged in the dash cam but nothing. No power to the camera.

I suspected that maybe the hard wire kit was faulty so tried it on my car and the camera fired up immediately.

I'm totally baffled why the camera is not getting any power. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Does it work with engine running and some electrical load? Some hard wire kits have cut off threshold at circa 12.6v to allow them to be powered off on a permanent feed but only switch on when alternator kicks in eg engine running. Great in theory but a pain on smart alternator vehicles.

Does it work with engine running and some electrical load? Some hard wire kits have cut off threshold at circa 12.6v to allow them to be powered off on a permanent feed but only switch on when alternator kicks in eg engine running. Great in theory but a pain on smart alternator vehicles.
Thanks, I did think of that but haven't tried it, only because I've never had to do that in the past. It's a nextbase kit and as I said works in the car with no problem, but it's definitely worth a try, cant' think what else it could be? It's too dark now but I'll try it tomorrow morning and let you know if that works.

I have 4 Nextbase cameras and have never experienced anything like that in my T6 or T-Cross. Have you used a chassis earthing point or a cable?

I have 4 Nextbase cameras and have never experienced anything like that in my T6 or T-Cross. Have you used a chassis earthing point or a cable?
I've earthed to the chassis and tested the earth point with a multi meter. I took off the cable and dabbed it around other earth areas and even got a tiny arcs which suggests the circuit is made, but still no power to the camera. I'm baffled, unless you do need to have the engine running, but like you never experienced that before

Success, thanks for that, yes it works with the engine running, just got to get the diagnostics reset now after I took out a fuse, went to check in the manual where it went back then realised no fuse diagram, made an educated guess.....wrong slot, now thinks there's an error with the the parking and hill assist! At least my dash cam works

Reactions: CJW
Success, thanks for that, yes it works with the engine running, just got to get the diagnostics reset now after I took out a fuse, went to check in the manual where it went back then realised no fuse diagram, made an educated guess.....wrong slot, now thinks there's an error with the the parking and hill assist! At least my dash cam works
The kits that do this really should be advertised as such because if you have stop start it will turn off at junctions and that's no use when someone shunts you.

The big IF

I disabled mine with VCP so not an issue for me or many others on this forum but the thing is the average Joe who buys one off ebay is not likely to be turning off stop start.

Back