Garmin “Constant Power Cable” (OBD port USB sockets)

vegt

Senior Veg
T6 Guru
Does anyone have any thoughts on (or experience with) the Garmin “Constant Power Cable”?

1682770718059.png

The Constant Power Cable is an always-on, 12V power adapter that connects to the OBD II port in your vehicle. The device can power up to two dash cameras for a selected length of time after you turn off your vehicle.
It claims to have “Low Battery Protection” which shuts down if it detects the battery voltage is less than 12.0. However, I’ve seen discussions online about similar setups/devices draining the starter battery due to stop/start etc. I’ve also seen advice about not running things from the ODB II port in case of damage, although I’m not sure how much of a concern that should really be?

I already have a front dashcam powered by a USB socket fuse-tapped under the dash. I’d like to add a second camera and therefore need another USB socket. I am considering this product as a nice tidy alternative to a big mess of fuse-taps and USB sockets, and it would be a bonus to have the added functionality of being able to record whilst parked.

So I wondered if anyone uses one of these “Constant Power Cable” with their T6? Or has any advice or experience with regards to the above concerns?

Thanks!

You will end up with a very low / flat starter battery.

(Unless you drive the van extensively every day to recharge the starter battery)

Dash cams should be connected to the IGN feeds so only powered when the engine is running. IMHO.

If you want parking or 24/7 recording you need to power them from a seperate battery , ie a leisure battery.

And fwiw depending of the camera settings they can drain a SLA battery flat over a long weekend.... So be cautious of connecting dash cams to a starter battery.

Back