Hard wired Dash Cam not working

Jimmy007

T6 Pro
Hi there, I have hard wired my dash cam into my T28 T6, I have piggy backed the switched live off the fuse board under dash, and used the blue fuse in the centre column, I removed the side panel of dash where air bag switch is and used a screw that’s going in to metal as ground, i put ignition on and nothing happens, hope you guys can help

Have you tested the end of the cable to see if there is any power?

Presumably you have both fuses in the piggyback and that they are not blown?

Dashcam model?
Most need a perm live and an igntion live otherwise it will run 24/7 and drain the starter battery.

This would be a good time to use a multimeter and be sure you have the required voltages.

Also, I'm sure you've tried it both with ignition on / engine running. But I've had ones that don't work unless the vehicle is running (if the voltage goes below 12v it won't turn on)

If the feed wire has a bullet connector inline somewhere, I'd use a wire from the bottom centre of the cigarette lighter socket (providing that's working) and see if it turns on using that as a feed.

This would be a good time to use a multimeter and be sure you have the required voltages.

Also, I'm sure you've tried it both with ignition on / engine running. But I've had ones that don't work unless the vehicle is running (if the voltage goes below 12v it won't turn on)

If the feed wire has a bullet connector inline somewhere, I'd use a wire from the bottom centre of the cigarette lighter socket (providing that's working) and see if it turns on using that as a feed.
Hi there, that’s a good shout as I’ve not tried it running, I thought the power came from the piggyback fuse, on the instructions it doesn’t mention a live feed, I will start it tomorrow and see what happens

Your cam senses the voltage rise when the engine is running and powers down when the engine is switched off instead of using an igntition live feed.

Back