CRS Performance new KW Coilovers.... Review

Van is looking really good, have I read it correctly that you are now lowered 65mm ? The reason im asking is because i have H&R 40mm drop springs on our van and it looks lower than yours which concerns me. I actually want to go the other way, i'd like our camper 30mm absolute max drop but level the back end being lower annoys me.
There are four different spring rating sets from H&R which set did you purchase?

Today, I was lucky enough to meet Steve and the team at CRS who fitted their new KW coilover kit to my T6 Caravelle.
Firstly, the service, advice and care was top notch, couldn’t fault it. Be in no doubt Steve knows what he is doing.
The replacement suspension is fantastic. As you can see from the photos I swapped the alloys over also from 18’s to 20 AEZ Straight Dark with Eagle F1 tyres, so there was always going to some difference in this change alone.
Let’s say the drive from Cannock back to Sheffield was unbelievable. The composure and smoothness! I had lowered springs and 20’s on my T5 kombi before, so I can also compare it to that. For the money including fitting and the great service, I cannot see why you would spend more money on the B14’s or others, especially when the B14’s have known issues.

65mm drop in total. Could have gone a bit more if it wasn’t for the 35mm offset of the alloys, but I think it looks great without sacrificing useability for more of a lowered look.

Before

View attachment 81604
After :D:D

View attachment 81605

The kit before going on
View attachment 81606
Here here. What he said.

Thanks so much. I’ve read a lot of your posts and everyone here in this forum that’s based in the UK is so lucky to have someone like you, Bognor and Chilli Jam Vans available to work on their vans.

As long as your T6.1 is a T 30 or T28 it will be fine . If its a T 32 you need the V1 KW kit which is more money due to stainless steel front strut .
The T6.1 I’m buying is a T30. I’m planning to have weight at the back of around 600-900kg worth of equipment at all times. Would something like the ST X coilover be a good kit to get my van lowered by about 60mm from standard height? The wheels I’m aiming to have are 18” alloys, if that matters. Main reason I’d like to lower is so I can fit underneath car parks in Australia that usually have a height limit around 1.9m - 2.1m

Hi there

the rear springs are the same on all the kits and with 900 kilos you are at max load so the rear will sit low and possible it will hit on to the bump stops on some bumps , but a standard van would also do this .

Reactions: dj_
Hi there

the rear springs are the same on all the kits and with 900 kilos you are at max load so the rear will sit low and possible it will hit on to the bump stops on some bumps , but a standard van would also do this .

thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Do you think this is a good option for me? Or is there another coilover kit that’s got stronger springs?

The shops here are offering me stronger springs for the rear sag but will raise the van a little bit, no one seems to want to help me lower (and level) the van a bit with that weight.

i was also looking at the eibach adjustable springs, since the van is going to be brand new I thought would be a shame to not use the new dampers/shocks but everyone seems to be recommending coilover kits for more flexibility (I’m assuming)

Sadly the standard shocks are poor performers and my Scrap bin is full of New VW shocks ( some with less than 200 miles on them )

I think if you run the loads you mentioned all the time you will struggle to get a good rear spring set up from any coil over kit . Heavy duty springs aren't designed to be low as you mentioned .

It might be that you could fit a Coil over kit but it might be necessary to play around with the rear and maybe fit a T 32 standard spring and see where it sits , you can set the front coil over to get the rake correct .

My personal recommendation would be a set of KONI dampers and some lowering springs . NOT a coil over !! this will be less costly and more flexible with springs

steve

Sadly the standard shocks are poor performers and my Scrap bin is full of New VW shocks ( some with less than 200 miles on them )

I think if you run the loads you mentioned all the time you will struggle to get a good rear spring set up from any coil over kit . Heavy duty springs aren't designed to be low as you mentioned .

It might be that you could fit a Coil over kit but it might be necessary to play around with the rear and maybe fit a T 32 standard spring and see where it sits , you can set the front coil over to get the rake correct .

My personal recommendation would be a set of KONI dampers and some lowering springs . NOT a coil over !! this will be less costly and more flexible with springs

steve

*EDIT : Apologies for hijacking this thread about the KW Coilovers! I’ve just messaged Steve directly*

Oh that’s such a shame the stock ones are rubbish! Do you think I should replace both the front and rear dampers/shocks, or just the rear? Would the KONI dampers be good with the Eibach adjustable springs?

Apologies for the barrage of questions, if I could I would just love to drive the van to your shop instead.

I did a quick search for KONI dampers/shocks here in Australia and here’s what I’ve found, is this the one you might be referring to?

9A9204B1-8B8A-4917-A9DF-9DF6FBDB3028.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes the KONI shocks will work great with the Eibach adjustable kit

The KONI shocks sell in UK as a complete set for 1100 Aus dollars so that price looks ok . Much better to do all 4 though

So, let me get this straight: @CRS Performance had absolutely zero prospect of winning business especially with the poster living in Australia.....yet, he take the time out to answer his questions and provide advice?!! A wonderful example of the contribution “Trade Members” make on this forum!
I know right! What a bloody legend! I’m trying to compare costs to sourcing local and from CRS and if they’re within the same ballpark I’ll just get it from him because of his help

I know right! What a bloody legend! I’m trying to compare costs to sourcing local and from CRS and if they’re within the same ballpark I’ll just get it from him because of his help
Which is one reason why I (many on here) drive hundreds of miles to his workshop to have him do the work....oh, and the minor fact that he knows his subject!!!

Thanks for the nice words JOG . Today I am fitting a set of H&R springs to a T 5 with over 100k miles on the clock , Client looking for visual improvement and knows that shocks ideally should be fitted but budget doesn't allow for this . I have a Brand new set of T 32 shocks removed from a vehicle with delivery mileage and the client instructed us to bin them ? well we usually do but this set looked like it came over the counter at TPS yesterday so we hung on to them .
So to give this client a fighting chance of ride quality we fitted the new shocks and threw his in the bin NO charge ,
My opinion is the guy is spending money with us ( the amount isn't important ) and i can do something to help his ride with out costing any money , why wouldn't you .
Call me a softy . Ha ha
we will try help dj_ but to take the risk of shipping all this for a small saving wouldnt make sense , I can get him intouch with KONI Aus and get the problem sorted

I am just going to take this thread a bit more off topic, but had to comment. My van previously had suspension on it from ABP (Plush Automotive). I had a problem with the suspension knocking so I took it to Plush and they had the van in for over half a day. When I got back I was told the knocking was not from the suspension but probably behind the slider cover panel. The had also taken my ply panels out and pulled a load of insulation out and not replaced it. They guaranteed it was not an issue with the suspension. They then relieved me of a significant amount of money for the privilege of them finding nothing.
I was not convinced, and in my mind knew it was the suspension knocking. So after Steve spending much time discussing with me I decided to book the van in with him and take it for him to look at.
Now bear in mind Steve had never worked on air suspension previously, we went out in the van, he agreed it was suspension related. Van on the ramps, had a look. Spacer fitted over the bags at the rear. 20 mins later we were out in the van again. Knocking gone.
Get back, thanks Steve, what do I owe you. "No charge" was Steve's reply.
As I was pissed off with the air suspension for other reasons. We took it off and fitted coilovers and sold the air.

As far as I am concerned unbelievable good customer service from Steve, compared to other arrogant companies who really dont give a sh1t unless its a Lambo/Porsche/GTR etc.

Thanks again Steve.

I am just going to take this thread a bit more off topic, but had to comment. My van previously had suspension on it from ABP (Plush Automotive). I had a problem with the suspension knocking so I took it to Plush and they had the van in for over half a day. When I got back I was told the knocking was not from the suspension but probably behind the slider cover panel. The had also taken my ply panels out and pulled a load of insulation out and not replaced it. They guaranteed it was not an issue with the suspension. They then relieved me of a significant amount of money for the privilege of them finding nothing.
I was not convinced, and in my mind knew it was the suspension knocking. So after Steve spending much time discussing with me I decided to book the van in with him and take it for him to look at.
Now bear in mind Steve had never worked on air suspension previously, we went out in the van, he agreed it was suspension related. Van on the ramps, had a look. Spacer fitted over the bags at the rear. 20 mins later we were out in the van again. Knocking gone.
Get back, thanks Steve, what do I owe you. "No charge" was Steve's reply.
As I was pissed off with the air suspension for other reasons. We took it off and fitted coil overs and sold the air.

As far as I am concerned unbelievable good customer service from Steve, compared to other arrogant companies who really dont give a sh1t unless its a Lambo/Porsche/GTR etc.

Thanks again Steve.
I had watched with anguish your thread regarding the Air issue , and hoped one day we could have a look for you . well after the pain you went through i really didn't feel a payment was justified as we literally took a few minutes to find the fault no one else seemed to able to . .
I was so pleased we could find the problem and you certainly threw a curve ball at me when you said rip it all out and fit a coil over ha ha

I like to think all our customers own Lamborghinis because and I make sure that we treat every vehicle as if it were a Lambo , these aren't just vans , Mostly they are someone's Pride and joy and they should be treated that way . .

Many of my clients will also know that i do ask a ton of questions regarding their vans and what they do with it because every customer has a different problem and the solutions must also vary .
This isnt a One solution fits all scenario , and i have found that many suppliers don't get this . One persons poor ride is another ones smoothest ride ever !!

We need a Steve @CRS Performance appreciation society..............or a thread dedicated to him...........or bumper stickers. I offer some candidates:

We "heart icon" Steve!
I've been CRS'd!
Steve did me and I loved it! <-- that one might need some work, eh? But we are an inclusive market!
Forever in suspension!
Bump n Grind no more

Back