Coffee - Nespresso Machine

MrT6

T6 Pro
Ok, so when we are out and about there is occasionally the need/requirement for a decent cup of coffee.

Foolishly perhaps I have 'sold' the idea of a Nespresso machine in the van to MrsT6.

I'm currently installing my leisure electrics (DC/DC charger, Leisure battery, LED lights, USB sockets etc.) and I'm now looking at Inverter specs.

Does anyone have any idea what the approx power consumption of the Nespresso machine (as below) would be? It obviously features a heating element to heat the water, and each cup generally takes approx 20 - 40 seconds to 'brew'.

In terms of the Inverter and its power rating there would be no other specific requirement for it other than to power the Nespresso machine.

Nespresso.jpg

I just looked at the one below on curry’s website and it states 1100w so you would need an inverter capable of this
At mains voltage 1100w works out just shy of 5 amps so if you convert that to 12v then you are getting very close to 100 amps @12v so suitable cabling would be needed for this

These are approx numbers to give you an idea of the power involved and you would need to look at the power rating of the specific machine you wish to install

13B97BCD-F14F-4ADE-AAAB-9104FE767BAF.png

I wouldn't be without my Nespresso machines, and have 3 of them! One in the house, one in the MH, and most importantly, one in the T6, but we always just plug the van straight into our customers power, so don't have any issues powering it. Although the machines won't work if the temp drops below 5c.

This is the one fitted in my van racking.
20180106_151044-COLLAGE.jpg

Huge aeropress fan here. I find that is is more convenient that the minipresso and a bit more versatile in the drinks it makes (although I'd happily take either over a nespresso - even for home). I've bought Aeropress machines for several van-mates now and no complaints.

I am another Aeropress fan! Have one for home, one for work and one for the T6! :)

I had one each in home, work and van but then I got one of these for work instead (yes... it needs a clean) . It's spoilt me. With the right beans it blows chain coffee-shops out of the water. A little impractical for the van though.

MVIMG_20180306_110010.jpg

Ok, I've looked at some of the other van-based coffee making options and keep coming back to the Nespresso m/c for ease of use and convenience. And a thoroughly good end product! As mentioned previously, MrsT6 does enjoy a Nespresso coffee - which is a very important consideration. If this can be provided while on our travels or 'off-piste' then much brownie points will be earned.

So after a bit of online research (aided by @Pauly as above) typical power consumption for some of the mini Nespresso machines seems to be around 1100 to 1300 watts.

I'm assuming therefore that an inverter with a power rating of 1500W is going to be a minimum requirement? with appropriate 100A cable used on a fused feed from the leisure battery.

I'd like to go with a pure sine wave inverter - any suggestions for this? What have other people used?

i work on the mechanics of these machines and you're right the majority of thermoblocks are rated to 1200w

Another Aeropress fan here! Compact, easy to clean and makes a superb coffee. Got one for the kitchen but ordering a second for our conversion when it's done!

Bialetti and an aeropress for me. Depending on the amount of time I have in the van and faff. The aeropress is the most easy to use, unscrew the cap and push the grinds into the bin! Makes a lovely cuppa.

I know northshore custom conversions had something like a Nespresso in theirs!

Another here - we added an inverter to our spec principally to power a Nespresso machine (so its expensive coffee in several ways). I concur with the power demand notes above.
A question though - can one partly pre-heat the water (using gas) to reduce the battery usage in heating the coffee water?

Back