Leisure battery spec & wiring diag etc. [Advice req'd]

z1ts

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My T6.1 Kombi is on order and won't be here for a bit, but hey ho I need to get a shopping list up together for my 'light' (i.e. not massively intrusive or full camper) conversion! It will be a day van for sports & leisure duties, a bit of advanced DIYer use and my general daily drive.

I want 2 x 240v sockets in it off a leisure battery powered by an inverter. This will be for very occasional light use. Laptop charging, drone charging, power tool charging, emergency stuff etc. etc. I won't be expecting it to run a fridge for 24 hours, or power a welder, or have a coffee machine capable of making 25 coffees without charging the battery and so on!

My plan is along these lines and I'd appreciate your input to sense check it and straighten me out where I may be going off track:-
  • 240v + 12v + USB sockets as per this on the passenger seat base and somewhere in the rear by the tailgate
  • A (lithium, LiFePO4?) battery under the passenger seat, specs & brand recommendations please
  • A battery isolator to handle the split charging requirements under the passenger seat base - something like this
  • An inverter to power the 240v sockets - something like this
My initial back of an envelope wiring diagram looks like this and again may well be missing some things:-

wiring diag.jpg

As mentioned I am VERY open to suggestions, but please keep in mind that this is for occasional use only and therefore the budget is matched and isn't enormous!!

Appreciate your input.

Isolator switch between Inverter and Leisure battery so as no residual drain when Inverter not required?

Isolator switch between Inverter and Leisure battery so as no residual drain when Inverter not required?
That's what I love about this forum! Sensible, non-judgemental advice from people who genuinely care :)

From the bottom of my heart - thank you!

That's what I love about this forum! Sensible, non-judgemental advice from people who genuinely care :)

From the bottom of my hear - thank you!
Well, I try! The diagram looks fine. I`d advise a Pure Sine Wave inverter for better performance and better efficiency from 12-240V.

Have a look at some of the posts by @Dellmassive - I think he’s covered everything you’ll ever need to know!!
I have been digesting them - astoundingly competent gentleman, but he leaves me floundering in places...! Plus I could probably land a jet from my van if I followed everything he's done!!! Or turn it into a mobile substation!

Mind-blowing contributor to this forum is @Dellmassive !!!

I would add a small fuse panel in the 12 volt circuit, wire your leisure battery to the fuse panel then take your 12 volt sockets and usbs from that. when you later decide to add any more usbs, interior lights etc you only have to come off the fuse panel, 12 volt planet is a great website for bits, cable etc and has some good guides

Back