Coffee - Nespresso Machine

@Martinf I'm inclined to agree it's a fairly expensive way to get a cup of coffee....DC/DC charger and/or Solar panel ---> Leisure Battery ---> Inverter ---> Nespresso m/c ---> Cup of coffee!

I'm trying to consider it as an 'investment in infrastructure' - seemingly that's a good thing to do and once the initial costs have been 'absorbed' we will have our own mobile coffee lounge.

We were on Black Rock Sands over the New Year, we walked along the beach in the wind and rain, got back to the van rather cold and damp. A freshly brewed coffee would've hit the spot while we warmed-up and dried off.

I believe the investment is fully justified!

Another Aeropress user here :thumbsup:

1200 watts from a single leisure battery just isn't going to work for the time you need it to make the coffee. Plenty of alternatives suggested here. Gas is king when it comes to large power requirements.

Another here - we added an inverter to our spec principally to power a Nespresso machine (so its expensive coffee in several ways). I concur with the power demand notes above.
A question though - can one partly pre-heat the water (using gas) to reduce the battery usage in heating the coffee water?

So @Martinf what inverter do you have? and do you use it to run a Nespresso m/c?

And what is your leisure battery setup?

Questions, questions...thanks in advance!

So @Martinf what inverter do you have? and do you use it to run a Nespresso m/c?

And what is your leisure battery setup?

Questions, questions...thanks in advance!
Sorry I can’t be too informative at the moment - I’m still waiting for both the base van and it’s conversion!
I can advise that the spec from the supplier is for an additional leisure battery and a 1600VA inverter. From checking the Nespresso power ratings this should be sufficient.
One question I had was whether the water can be partly pre-heated on gas to say 50 degrees prior to adding to the Nespresso?

Be careful of the inverter, I bought a cheap modified sine wave model a few years ago and it completely destroyed my Dolce gusto machine after only a few days of use.

@MrT6 just seen this post - probably too late but still... you cant use warm water in these kind of pumps - they only work with cold or ambient temp water...

I have the smallest Nespresso machine permanently stored in my van. It's 1200W, but I suspect the internals are the same on all of them. I have a 180A/h leisure battery and an NDS 1500W inverter and could get enough mugs of coffee over a day to keep me happy. I've recently added a 160W solar panel, so that capacity should be consolidated. In fact, while at Busfest, I would return to my van for a coffee, rather than buy one from one of the many venders.

As stated elsewhere though, the inverter MUST be a pure sine wave one, not a modified sine wave. My original installation had a 2500W modified sine wave inverter, and that would not run my machine (it turned on, but was non-responsive and would not make a coffee) nor would it run the DeLonghi I have in the house. The electronics in these machines is obviously not compatible with a "dirty" electrical supply.

Had I realised the ultimate cost from the outset, I would not have bothered as it was only just worth it (IMHO) for the initial outlay for the cheaper modified inverter. I'm probably talking a cost of over £500 now, including installation by Exploria.

I spent ages setting up my electrics to run a Nespresso machine. I had it working fine on the bench but saw how much space it was going to take, thought bugger it and bought a battery operated one. Cheaper smaller and produces a great espresso and it can be taken out on picnics.

Ok, I've looked at some of the other van-based coffee making options and keep coming back to the Nespresso m/c for ease of use and convenience. And a thoroughly good end product! As mentioned previously, MrsT6 does enjoy a Nespresso coffee - which is a very important consideration. If this can be provided while on our travels or 'off-piste' then much brownie points will be earned.

So after a bit of online research (aided by @Pauly as above) typical power consumption for some of the mini Nespresso machines seems to be around 1100 to 1300 watts.

I'm assuming therefore that an inverter with a power rating of 1500W is going to be a minimum requirement? with appropriate 100A cable used on a fused feed from the leisure battery.

I'd like to go with a pure sine wave inverter - any suggestions for this? What have other people used?
I know it's an old thread but interested to hear how you got on?
I got a mini nespresso, 1500w pure sine wave inverter and 200ah AGM batteries and still can't use it without the engine running...? I used 170a 25mm2 cable to be sure it could cope but still no dice. Battery limitation maybe?

The thing about these machines is that they restrict you to a 'Brand'. I prefer the Bialetti too for a real coffee of my choice. These machines always give me gut rot and wind. While the latter amuses me and I take a pride in a good long loud fart, my wife doesn't always appreciate it. Women are odd.

I also prefer to use these - Zyliss

I have a 180 amp leisure battery and an NDS 1500W Smart-In pure sine wave inverter - it has to be pure sine wave to run my Nespresso machine as the previous 2kW modified inverter didn’t work. A 160W solar panel keeps the battery topped up and I have no problems with several cuppas throughout the day, even with the fridge on. I’ve not had to run the engine for it to work.

I have a 95Ah battery, 3kW true sine inverter and a 250W panel to run my Tassimo, which was the lowest power machine I could find and not had an issue so far. The coffee is ok, better than nothing, and I do need a few cups a day, esp first thing. I’ve got stove top type espresso makers and aeropress but they don’t really do it for me as I like my milk based coffees. As a supplement, if I’m going past a Costa I’ll get 3 cups (medium latte, extra shot thank you) instead of 1 and put the other 2 in the fridge to reheat on demand.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Another fan here. Cost next to nothing as it was half price (£50) and I got £30 of coffee pods free :)

Only used on hook up sites though...

9AD07BDA-6768-4126-B2C1-A032D1C0341B.jpeg

Another fan here. Cost next to nothing as it was half price (£50) and I got £30 of coffee pods free :)

Only used on hook up sites though...
If you subscribe to Nespresso for 12 months you can get a machine for just £1. The subscription money is then all spent on capsules throughout the year. I’ve got 3 machines that way, one for home, office & van!

Back