Changing Wheels from 20" to smaller

JimmyO

This has probably been covered but I have a new T6 (first post on the forum!) with 20" Land Rover wheels. I would quite like to change to a more normal diameter wheel 16/17. What do I need to worry about? Can I just buy some 16" wheels and stick them on or is it not that simple?

Image attached.

If anyone is interested in them once I take them off - let me know, used but in very good condition and nearly new tyres all round.

Thanks!

wheel.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You’ll find this thread covers everything you’ll want to know regarding wheels-

www.WillTheyFit.com is a good website for checking whether replacement wheels will have a different rolling diameter to your current wheels.

Thanks @Ads_Essex. I did see that but that thread suggest that standard VW sizes go up to 18". Is it likely that something has been modified to get the 20s on, which I will then have to 'unmodify'?

Also, on WillTheyFit I need Wheel width and offset - how do I work that out?

Sorry if this is an obvious question!

Thanks @Ads_Essex. I did see that but that thread suggest that standard VW sizes go up to 18". Is it likely that something has been modified to get the 20s on, which I will then have to 'unmodify'?

No, if you bought some OEM VW wheels then they would go straight on. You would also need some new bolts as the Land Rover ones would be different.

A 16” wheel won’t fit over the caliper on a 340mm front disc. From your photo it looks like you have the small discs so should be OK.
I suggest 17”, there are plenty of secondhand wheel / tyre bargains and you should get a good price for your 20’s.

as above!

If you want a smaller wheel with more sidewall then have a look through the For Sale sub-forum for Devonports - they’re 17” and an OEM wheel.

Width will be the width of the allow wheel - sometimes measure in ‘J’, with the offset being where it sits in relation to the hub (poking out more than others, say).

Back