Carista: Service Due Reset - Does It Affect Fixed Vs Flexible?

Dilbert

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Does anyone have any experience of using the Carista feature to reset the 'Service Due' indication?
  • Does it work OK on T6?
  • Does it affect/corrupt the Service Regime (Fixed/Flexible) your van is set to?
  • Can you change the Service Regime using Carista?

Thanks!

D.

Long story and a few calls to the dealership ended up in the van asking for a service when it didn’t need it so I used carista to reset the indicator rather than “popping into the dealer”.

When I did it their were no options it simply reset the indicator for another 365days or x thousand miles. I had only done a few thousand miles since my last service so was happy with that and and it worked fine. No options at all when doing it so that must be the only option.

They told me other the phone the date and mileage when it needed a service so I was happy.

Not used Carista for this but as Carista presumably just sends a reset command to ECU/Instruments that would result the following:

EU5 engines - works just fine.

EU6 engines - resets fine but likely will result a short(ened) oil change period. This is not Carista's fault but a software bug in EU6 software which sets the internal counters to a wrong value (see the link below).

Don't think Carista can change the regime. Something about changing Service Regime using VCDS --> First Oil Change?

When I did it their were no options it simply reset the indicator for another 365days or x thousand miles.

Thanks for the info. Do you know what service regime your van is on? Is it still the same when you look at the 'next service due' data in the MFD?

Not used Carista for this but as Carista presumably just sends a reset command to ECU/Instruments

Thanks @mmi Mine is a Euro 5 so sounds like it should just reset to the existing service regime?

I am on a long Flexible Service regime and I do not want to inadvertently change it to a shortened fixed service just by resetting it!

Does the ECU know what service/inspection was carried out? As the service intervals (time/miles) are the same between services, I presume it does not care about if its a Interim or Full service as the engine oil (in particular) gets changed on both services.

Thanks @mmi Mine is a Euro 5 so sounds like it should just reset to the existing service regime?

I am on a long Flexible Service regime and I do not want to inadvertently change it to a shortened fixed service just by resetting it!
Yes, works just fine.

Does the ECU know what service/inspection was carried out? As the service intervals (time/miles) are the same between services, I presume it does not care about if its a Interim or Full service as the engine oil (in particular) gets changed on both services.
Can't really tell about EU5. But should be the same as EU6. From the factory for EU6 the first inspection is different (2 years) than the following inspections - always max 1 year (after first reset). However, the oil change has a life of it's own - 20000km ... 40000 km, max 2 years. Details ---> Advice And Service Recommendations Please
So the van itself doesn't really count Interim and Full Services - just Inspection and Oil Change. And actually if doing low miles you would have Inspection every year and Oil change every second year.

So the van itself doesn't really count Interim and Full Services - just Inspection and Oil Change. And actually if doing low miles you would have Inspection every year and Oil change every second year.

Thanks for the info and link. :thumbsup:

That now begs the question; if the van was doing low mileage and the Inspection came up before the Oil Service was due, would resetting with Carista reset both counters or just the one that is due? I.E. in this scenario if the 'Service Due' flag would appear because of the Inspection counter, this would then be reset and that 1 year later another 'Service Due' flag would still appear in the MFD for the oil change.

Does Carista always reset both counters or just the one(s) that is due? :unsure:

Sorry for more questions!

On mine it reset the days only I think, I cannot remember before and after on the mileage I am afraid. I Thought they had an oil sensor in to determine the oil change interval? I don’t remember the mileage between services jumping back up after the reset.

That now begs the question; if the van was doing low mileage and the Inspection came up before the Oil Service was due, would resetting with Carista reset both counters or just the one that is due?
The counters (Inspection/Oil Change) are independent of each others, and they can be resetted at any time - either due or not. I haven't looked into this section of Carista but definitely would expect there to be two different reset functions - otherwise would be challenging to know what's happening.

Actually, the service counters can be individually resetted without any fancy OBD tools, just using dash buttons. I would stick with these.
Resetting Oil Change Service ---> see page 23 in the Owner's manual ---> T6 Owners Manual
Resetting Inspection ---> see page (23-) 24
EDIT: Oops... not a good answer...:oops: The manual states that resetting oil change using dash buttons will activate fixed oil service regime :eek:... Apologies...

Obviously have to try at next oil change ;)

EDIT#2: I'm afraid the question what the Carista does exactly is still unanswered... sorry :speechless:

Last edited:
The manual states that resetting oil change using dash buttons will activate fixed oil service regime

Yes, I had already seen that in the user manual and this is what prompted the question regarding the behaviour of the Carista app. o_O My fear is that it may have the same behaviour and I don't want to go into this section of the app when the time comes without knowing what to expect. :(

I wonder if ODBeleven is more intelligent? Oh dear, more questions.....:unsure:

Thanks for all your input @mmi :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: mmi
Just did a bit of Googling about ODBeleven. There is an interesting YouTube video here:

This looks like it has the separate reset operations. :thumbsup:

odb11.png

Providing it does not change the Service Regime....:unsure:

Yes, OBDeleven has two separate functions.

This is actual screenshot of OBDeleven when hooked into a T6.
OBD11_Service.jpg
However, doesn't tell anything about service regime. Just "FUNCTION: This application is used to reset oil service reminder in vehicles."

Yes, OBDeleven has two separate functions.

Looks promising. I guess we need someone on here who has actually used one of these apps to carry out an Oil Service reset to see if their previous service regime (especially if it was on Flexible) changed after using an app to carry out the reset. :)

Reactions: mmi
I recently had a first Interim Service and Oil change on my EU6. I asked for it to be set to annual service.

The service indicator is now happily counting towards a Service in about a year. However the Oil change is counting down from a zero at the date of the service/ oil change and after about 21 days told me it needed an “Oil Service Now”. I tried the reset as described on page 25 in the manual, but that just re-zeroed the Oil date count, with the next “Oil Service Now” warning coming up seven days later.

So I’m not sure of the effectiveness of the manual reset. I’ll just have to keep zeroing the count until I can take it back to my servicing VW Commercial dealer. Should they have got it right or is there a bug in the VW system, considering the manual zeroing doesn’t do anything useful?

Back