Should I be worried about late oil changes?

winstonedd

T6 Pro
Hi all,

Purchased a used T6 with 51000 miles from a VW van centre last friday.

Love the van however even though I was advised it had full service history I was shocked to find the first oil change was done at 26k and the 2nd at 51k just before I purchased. (they only provided this info to me now even though I kept asking for it sooner but was verbally reassured"

I'm aware my code is Q18 and flexible servicing but when I queries this to dealer this is the response I got

"
  • Van did not ‘’miss’’ oil service by around 6000 miles. 20,000 miles or 2 years is a ‘’VW guideline’’ not a requirement.
  • This particular VW Transporter is on ‘’Flexible Service Regime’’ meaning that the vehicle will actually tell when it needs servicing, this can be after 18,000 miles or can be 28,000 miles. Biggest factor is Owner’s driving style and the use (A-roads/town or Motorway), this dictates the oil condition hence why gap in the mileage."
However I cannot locate any documentation that backs this up and although I plan to change every 10k it would be nice to have this info verified or a link to where this is supported as I was going on the basis that this is not full service history but in fact part history

Hoping someone can advise and reassure

Many thabks

Damien

Hi Damien, have a search through the Forum as there us some great info on the service regimes....

FYI.....I have had my 2019 for 14 months now and done 12000 miles without a service as its on the longer service schedule 2yrs/20k miles although the VW Van Centre at Leeds emailed me at 1 year to tell me its due a service. My van 'says' 226 days to service. I have however decided to get it done in March at 3 years old and switch to annual service regime also taking out the 2 year extended warranty scheme.

Hi,

Many thanks for your comment, I did try looking for examples such as mine but I cant find anything that suggest mileage over 20k for a flexible service and both services were around 26k

Kind regards

I would say the long life servicing is due after 18000 miles or 2 years, which ever arrives first, regardless of what your dealer or mfd says..

Not sure i would be concerned enough to want to return the vehicle or anything like that, its not ideal and i wouldnt personally leave it that long but as you already have it in your possession if the van is clean and tidy and has no issues i would just make sure its done each year and roll with it

I would say the long life servicing is due after 18000 miles or 2 years, which ever arrives first, regardless of what your dealer or mfd says..
Hi,

That's what I would of thought but he is sayings it's a guideline and not a requirement....

Seems odd as I'm sure if I was chopping in van to upgrade down the line they would say otherwise.

Many thanks for this. I can see the Q18 code is 40000km which is 24854 miles and my service was carried out about 1500 miles past this on the first service and exceeded the second service by 50 miles. Would this be an issue in terms of full service history or any potential future purchasers?

It’s a VW!! My old T5 had a blown head gasket and I ran it for a year like it. Got it done with no problems after. Bullet proof! It’s the old 5 pot that wore out. Alas most other things that go on the newer vans are outside the engine.

It’s a VW!! My old T5 had a blown head gasket and I ran it for a year like it. Got it done with no problems after. Bullet proof! It’s the old 5 pot that wore out. Alas most other things that go on the newer vans are outside the engine.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm quite Obsessive about maintaining a vehicle and the first purchase was a OBD11 and VAG PDF app which means I know the amount of soot and when it regents (of need be I can carry on driving etc)

Good to hear these engines are decent but I still can't believe the previous owner was happy to wait for 26k miles to service.

The dealer has finally given me a printout of the works done to it by them. New ply lining, bulk head, egr pipe (had snapped) and cambelt with water pump and oil

And other stuff that totalled over 4k (VW prices I know)

So it does feel nice, perhaps I'm over worrying

I certainly won't be waiting that long. Now I just need to find up how to change the requency of the service to lower it

Back