Independent servicing – what’s needed?

Benjaminpalma

I really like my local garage. I neither like nor trust my local VW dealership (long story - previous car). I’ve had my T6 a year. The MOT’s due and it might as well be serviced (?). It’s on a “Q18” flexible service schedule. "Long-life" oil was used at the 27k oil change in early 2018 – but it’s not been changed since. It’s now on 60k. There’s been no dashboard service warning. What should now be changed (other than the cambelt which was changed at my request on purchase)? Thanks, all!

I bet your local garage like you too if that's how you treat your vehicles! 3 years and 33000 miles on the same oil...wow! - I wouldn't worry too much about who changes it just get it done ASAP.

I really like my local garage. I neither like nor trust my local VW dealership (long story - previous car). I’ve had my T6 a year. The MOT’s due and it might as well be serviced (?). It’s on a “Q18” flexible service schedule. "Long-life" oil was used at the 27k oil change in early 2018 – but it’s not been changed since. It’s now on 60k. There’s been no dashboard service warning. What should now be changed (other than the cambelt which was changed at my request on purchase)? Thanks, all!
What’s your vans reg‘? I want to be sure I never buy it.

It’s really weird the oil service warning hasn’t flashed up though? Even if the oil check itself hasn’t triggered, I thought the time check would trigger at two years? Seems to imply something is wrong with the logic, or that it’s been disabled somehow?

My local garage will do an oil change with genuine filters and decent oil, not that longlife shite for about £150

@Spazpecker. Why do you say ‘longlife shite’? Genuine question asked out of ignorance of all things mechanical.

It's oil with a detergent added to allow for a longer life, lesser oil changes. My personal view on oils is id like to run the engine in then change the oil after 1000 miles to remove any fillings etc. Then I like using a decent synthetic oil and change more often, say 10k. The EGR puts fumes through the engine which is absorbed by the oil. Not the best for longevity.

It's oil with a detergent added to allow for a longer life, lesser oil changes. My personal view on oils is id like to run the engine in then change the oil after 1000 miles to remove any fillings etc. Then I like using a decent synthetic oil and change more often, say 10k. The EGR puts fumes through the engine which is absorbed by the oil. Not the best for longevity.
The “long life shite” is also fully synthetic oil with detergent. All modern engine oils have detergents, even non “long life shite”. Detergents are necessary for the well-being of modern engines. That said, I change my oil every year/10kmiles regardless of what the van is asking for. My local independent does it for £120 including genuine filter & oil.

The “long life shite” is also fully synthetic oil with detergent. All modern engine oils have detergents, even non “long life shite”. Detergents are necessary for the well-being of modern engines. That said, I change my oil every year/10kmiles regardless of what the van is asking for. My local independent does it for £120 including genuine filter & oil.
Yes they do. It's the frequencies and usage that make the biggest difference.

Back