Service interval query, 20,000 or 9500??

Pushirons

VIP Member
Hi All,

Hopefully some can help with this query.

Collected my New Van back in May and done 8500 miles over the summer.

When I bought the van, I purchased the service pack also and was told the van would need servicing every 20,000 miles or 2 years and the service pack would see me through to 40,000 miles. Great I though.

Now the service indicator has popped up and it states Oil change service in 1000-miles or 189-days and Inspection service in 11700-miles or 549-days.

VW said yes the sales agent told me correctly at the time but something has changed with the intervals on vans built around the time of mine.

So now I’ll either need to pay for a service or use my service plan to pay for one and get it done now at 9500-miles.

The even more confusing bit, they then said they should be able to reset it to flexible servicing that should infiacte a service between 15,000km and 40,000km (which by my calculations is nearly 25,000 miles!)

They did have a technical briefing note but said they couldn’t share it with me.

Service is £214 inc vat. So £430 quid I wasn’t expecting to shell out if it needs a service every 10k. I know it’s not loads of cash but still significant.

Any light shed on the subject would be great.

Hi All,

Hopefully some can help with this query.

Collected my New Van back in May and done 8500 miles over the summer.

When I bought the van, I purchased the service pack also and was told the van would need servicing every 20,000 miles or 2 years and the service pack would see me through to 40,000 miles. Great I though.

Now the service indicator has popped up and it states Oil change service in 1000-miles or 189-days and Inspection service in 11700-miles or 549-days.

VW said yes the sales agent told me correctly at the time but something has changed with the intervals on vans built around the time of mine.

So now I’ll either need to pay for a service or use my service plan to pay for one and get it done now at 9500-miles.

The even more confusing bit, they then said they should be able to reset it to flexible servicing that should infiacte a service between 15,000km and 40,000km (which by my calculations is nearly 25,000 miles!)

They did have a technical briefing note but said they couldn’t share it with me.

Service is £214 inc vat. So £430 quid I wasn’t expecting to shell out if it needs a service every 10k. I know it’s not loads of cash but still significant.

Any light shed on the subject would be great.

Or you could do what I do; have a total disregard for anything dealers tell you and just get the oil and filter changed every year or no more than 10,000 miles.
Your engine is too important and expensive to try to save a few quid on servicing.

VW guide lines.....

1st oil service is at 12000mils for new engine.... To renew the oil after bed in.

Then on small/large service schedule.

Additional info

Or as above, if you want to, then DIY every year or 12k miles.

(But needs to be done via a VAT garage with genuine parts if within warranty period for VW to uphold any future warranty claims if not serviced at a main dealer)

Money spent on servicing is money well spent in my opinion. Personally I would get it done every year which is typically ever 10-12K miles.

The 'long life' servicing in my opinion is just there to please commercial fleet managers and it reduces their spend on maintenance, they will most likely be renewing their fleet every few years so as long as it lasts that, then longevity is not their primary concern. Maybe a bit cynical of me but hey ho

Take it to a VW Indy garage and get an oil/filter change. Don’t go over 10k without a change is my opinion. Mine had only done 7k since service, but as I was doing a big road trip I changed it anyway. It’s due a service now so that oil will be going after only 6.5k.
I don’t see that oil or mechanical tolerances have changed so significantly recently that going to 20k is good for the long term life of an engine/turbo.
It’s great for selling vehicles with a 3 yr warranty to people who will swap it for a new one every three years. They’ll never experience the problems caused down the line.
When you think a tank of fuel is £150 but an oil change is £100 it’s actually a relatively cheap consumable.

VW guide lines.....

1st oil service is at 12000mils for new engine.... To renew the oil after bed in.

Additional info

(But needs to be done via a VAT garage with genuine parts if within warranty period for VW to uphold any future warranty claims if not serviced at a main dealer)
VW guide lines.....

Additional info

Thanks Dellmassive. Good bit of info.

Thanks All for the responses. I will be covering close to 20k miles/year so looking at two services. Planning on keeping the van very long term so I was thinking about additional services with the local indy with VW parts. (And actually when it’s out warranty I’d service it myself, used to service my Land Rover every 5 to 7k) but in order too keep on the right side of the VW warranty, service with VW in line with the service indicator.

I guess I just thought something fishy was maybe going on and then having to pay VW prices.

But as Bigsidavies points out even at £214 it’s not much more that a tank of fuel, when you think of it like that it does seem better value.

Then again should a tank of fuel be £150 quid

Back