CandyVan conversion journey

Very excited to hook up the solar. Lights came on the charger, so I’ve got the polarity right there, and managed not to drill into any cables. Connected up to the leisure battery and added some fuses, and it is starting to come to life. Had to swap the LED plugs round - turns out the +ve on these units is the black lead! Here follows a video which is very exciting to me at least.

Let there be light

D455FF09-6A89-4B6C-A007-00588A57AAEC.jpeg

Rear ceiling panel in. Vw courtesy light in place, and speakers installed. Speakers actually work, thanks again to this forum with the info. I’ll need to code the fader for when daughter doesn’t want to listen to our music!

07420AED-9003-4CBE-915C-F1E4472A4DF5.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
great work keep the posts coming.

do you have the D pillar abs trim fitted? how did you find the fit and did you put it over the carpet? im looking at it too as bare carpet here could be more susceptible to wear. thanks!

Yes, I’ve got the ABS trim for D pillar and wheel arch cover, as I’ll have mucky MTBs and riders in there. The D pillar trim fits well under the tailgate seal, and is held on with double sided tape on the front edge. The top edge traps the carpet down neatly. I will need to put a fastener in the top right hand corner, as it won’t stick down over the carpet at the top 10mm (onto metal of D pillar below). If you go for the full height trims that wouldn’t be a problem, but then you have plastic instead of carpet in the sleeping space.

The wheel arch trim had a cutout for the jack mount, but I had to trim that a bit more to fit.

11FB6093-AA30-4A5E-8E2D-7A5C3671C989.jpeg

Yes, I’ve got the ABS trim for D pillar and wheel arch cover, as I’ll have mucky MTBs and riders in there. The D pillar trim fits well under the tailgate seal, and is held on with double sided tape on the front edge. The top edge traps the carpet down neatly. I will need to put a fastener in the top right hand corner, as it won’t stick down over the carpet at the top 10mm (onto metal of D pillar below). If you go for the full height trims that wouldn’t be a problem, but then you have plastic instead of carpet in the sleeping space.

The wheel arch trim had a cutout for the jack mount, but I had to trim that a bit more to fit.

View attachment 180125
thank you, much appreciated.
i will be to fit these over carpet so thanks for suggesting it works!

Hooked up the vehicle battery to DCDC charger feed, with the cable I had earlier run through the bulkhead under the glovebox.

The cover on the connectors on top of the battery has two clips at the back that squeeze in towards each other, then some little pins at the front which are more tricky to push in. Then just bolted to an existing connection on the fuse panel with M6 nut.

Now charging off the engine (reduced current as the battery is cold).

C2020556-AACA-4700-A884-99C4C9299C81.jpeg

CF7C6DEE-3217-47E9-97A4-3C7F97171D65.png

9C53D4F9-9A5E-4E85-AFEE-D4E584E73F31.jpeg

I got some 1250N tailgate struts for a tailgate bike rack, which got me thinking, based on @paddy26 ’s idea. Maybe I could reuse the old ones as the ‘fixed’ rod on the bifold bed. They are about 720mm long so should do the job, and satisfyingly use up spare components.

Had a Reimo Variotech 1150 seat fitted, at Volksleisure It was a surprising choice, as it is the most expensive and has a very thick floor. However, they are available in LWB, fit easily to a 4motion, have 3 belted seats in the back (meaning ultimately we don’t need to replace the big car when its time comes), and is very well engineered.

8490E1EE-399C-46F8-AF3E-7F79FE75DE86.jpeg

Lifting bifold bed part 2. The rods are 8mm steel (B&Q), and I cut threads at the end with a die. They are 990mm eye to eye, so I couldn’t reuse the tailgate struts and had to make these. Now the engineering is done, I need to carpet and fit the leading edge.

53A4D44B-BB5E-43CD-956E-1FCAAC91F7C4.jpeg

Bed now carpet trimmed, and a leading edge added. The front edge is Western Red Cedar, chosen because it is light, strong, looks good, and mainly because I had a big chunk of it left over from a kayak paddle. Rebated, shaped with a spokeshave, finished with Danish Oil. Loads of headroom when raised, and I think I will get both upstairs mattress and downstairs bed topper stored up there.

21A49B2D-FDFE-49FC-9DC9-0CD4A0F88220.jpeg

A3B4359E-9EF9-4859-ADCA-F147CC6FFCAC.jpeg

DCC89920-D2F1-4F7B-A7E4-9652084455AB.jpeg

Next job was one of those that needed some tech, but turned out to be easier than I expected.

I’d already adjusted the wheel arch so the sliding bed would clear it, but the bed fitters reckoned there was no way the plastic arch cover was going back on.

I got a cheap heatgun, and raided the kitchen for a Teflon sheet and the pizza oven thermometer. I warmed the area to 100C, pressed a Teflon wrapped stick onto the plastic, and it set with a neat channel to clear the bed. Job jobbed!

Back