Camping Ideas and Tips

We all got them ….but did you get this ….Very early Swiss army ( Not ) :laugh:

IMG_2798.jpeg
ps Just seen a listing ..£50+. Wow and they called it vintage

Last edited:
We all got them ….but did you get this ….Very early Swiss army ( Not ) :laugh:

View attachment 210916
ps Just seen a listing ..£50+. Wow and they called it vintage
Blimey I have several of those kicking about, including one with the marlin spike on the rear for doing proper rope work.

It's currently spliced to a couple of meters of B.O.B. and I've put an edge on it that makes the air glow. Used to clear stuff from around the narrowboat prop through the weed hatch. Edge so my arms are in muddy freezing water for as short as time possible, rope so that I can tie it to the boat and my precious knife doesn't vanish into the mud.

Last edited:
What is everyones thoughts on gas - the 4.5kg Calor would have been ideal but being phased out. The campingaz 907 refills are comparable to C500 cartridges price wise albeit they last longer between changes, are available in Europe and slightly better for the environment (production costs / waste canisters, not the actual burning of the fuel!)

When we convert we continue with the cadac and will mostly cook outside, so no need for ‘installed’ gas.

Looked at flogas but their small bottles are not pitched at camping?

Any suggestions for Mats at the entrance to the tent? Need something that’s going to be weather proof - was thinking Astro turf might be a good shout??

Need to get away from the wet pitches at the front of the tent.

Any suggestions for Mats at the entrance to the tent? Need something that’s going to be weather proof - was thinking Astro turf might be a good shout??

We have one of those breathable groundsheets. Works really well - can get drenched in rain but never gets muddy outside the van and cleans shoes. Can be cut smaller for your application. Never bothered washing it. Appears to be self cleaning!

IMG_4207.jpeg

We've gone Astro turf....blends in well if you are on grass...dries quickly in the sun and easily washable!

IMG_1379.jpeg

Cadac wind break in action - thank you @Grim Reaper !!

Top tip - the pan supports off the 2cook 2 pro make good trivets for hot pans when the griddle plates are in use!View attachment 211072
same here, we had ours out last weekend. . .

worked great as a windbreak,

but even better as a splash back to stop getting bacon splatter or chilly all over the awning.

double win.

thanks @Grim Reaper

1693549125029.png1693549239479.png

How many of them did I throw away during my service days............................. Wish now I had them all to sell................. :cool:
I've got a few of this lying around at home and I think there's at least two in the bottom of our camping kitchen box! They just work.

Just picked up the second lot of windbreaks, 17 further sets ready to go.
I will be prodding the people who wanted a set in the first tranche that didn't get in touch to get them posted out, so if they no longer want them, there will be more sets available.
@BoroBoy , if you are going to Busfest next weekend, could you take some for people going there to save on postage?
@Dellmassive , who was it wanted 10 sets?

Back