Camping Ideas and Tips

Just picked up the second lot of windbreaks, 17 further sets ready to go.
I will be prodding the people who wanted a set in the first tranche that didn't get in touch to get them posted out, so if they no longer want them, there will be more sets available.
@BoroBoy , if you are going to Busfest next weekend, could you take some for people going there to save on postage?
@Dellmassive , who was it wanted 10 sets?
Hi Dave
Just noticed this. Of course I can take some to Busfest for you. We are leaving Thursday morning, please contact me before Wednesday evening.

Just picked up the second lot of windbreaks, 17 further sets ready to go.
I will be prodding the people who wanted a set in the first tranche that didn't get in touch to get them posted out, so if they no longer want them, there will be more sets available.
@BoroBoy , if you are going to Busfest next weekend, could you take some for people going there to save on postage?
@Dellmassive , who was it wanted 10 sets?
I belive that was @ Eli

What is everyones thoughts on gas - the 4.5kg Calor would have been ideal but being phased out. The campingaz 907 refills are comparable to C500 cartridges price wise albeit they last longer between changes, are available in Europe and slightly better for the environment (production costs / waste canisters, not the actual burning of the fuel!)

When we convert we continue with the cadac and will mostly cook outside, so no need for ‘installed’ gas.

Looked at flogas but their small bottles are not pitched at camping?
As you said, campingaz available everywhere.

We have switched to Leisuregaz. Same size but a tenner cheaper, and as I have a supplier close to me and can fit two bottles in my gas locker, made sense to me.

As you said, campingaz available everywhere.

We have switched to Leisuregaz. Same size but a tenner cheaper, and as I have a supplier close to me and can fit two bottles in my gas locker, made sense to me.
Seems like Campingaz is the mostly reliably available and straightforward. Don’t know about everyone else, but my 907 seems to last ages. I recon my 907 lasts 8 weeks of camping. Less than a pound per day.

Reactions: CAB
Just got these from Banana Fingers climbing shop - Alpine 4 with three pans / lids. Handleless Stainless saucepans so pack compact. I do like the Trangia pans but prefer stainless. They also sell a 2 pan set with just one lid (Alpine 2)IMG_1146.jpeg

Last edited:
What is everyones thoughts on gas - the 4.5kg Calor would have been ideal but being phased out. The campingaz 907 refills are comparable to C500 cartridges price wise albeit they last longer between changes, are available in Europe and slightly better for the environment (production costs / waste canisters, not the actual burning of the fuel!)

When we convert we continue with the cadac and will mostly cook outside, so no need for ‘installed’ gas.

Looked at flogas but their small bottles are not pitched at camping?

We tend to use the Cadac rather than the van hob when out and about, and use it at home as well.

I've hedged my bets a bit, as I also have a gas Ooni, so have put in QR fixings on everything, so have a choice of C500, 907, Calor 19kg (home only!) and Flogas patio cylinders.

Campervan log book to record all your trips. What you did etc.You forget where and when you have been? We also have a small 2"x 3" printer for printing photos off your phone (Bluetooth) to stick in the book.
We’ve done much the same since we started campervanning’ including notes on each campsite / pitch. e.g. level? T V reception, WiFi, facilities etc.

@Dellmassive Were did you get that great VW mat
Busfest, all colours shapes and sizes on the Friday but less choice as the weekend goes on, we got ours there along with some 4 way stretch carpet, spray glue and trims from the adjacent TC Harrison stall... I love browsing through all the VW shizzle and really fancied the 65 maroon RHD splitty that was for sale outside the large stand that has a complete pattern panel splitty held together with mole grips inside their tent.

Thought I would share details of an item I made up years ago for a specific job but realised it was really handy when camping for tying things up/ together etc. 3 main features 1 it’s really easy to make, 2 it’s really easy to do up and undo and 3 if you up cycle some laces from old trainers, walking shoes and cord closers from finished out door jacket costs nothing to make.
Take shoe lace,(the aglet plastic bit at the end needs to be ok) work out how big a loop you need and tie a knot in the lace. Cut the lace reasonably close to the knot and I use a lighter to tidy up the cut end. Thread lace through cord closer. Job done.
Wouldn’t use one for a loop to attach a guy line or clothes line probably not strong enough but loads of other uses. If you don’t have any old jackets to get the cord closers most out door shops have them.BD5DC5CE-2020-42DF-B17B-84C4AE68F608.jpeg21D685A8-F7EA-4B56-8215-71B9ADE6FE57.jpeg389E4C0E-0536-48B3-A401-D45B2587516C.jpeg

Blimey I have several of those kicking about, including one with the marlin spike on the rear for doing proper rope work.

It's currently spliced to a couple of meters of B.O.B. and I've put an edge on it that makes the air glow. Used to clear stuff from around the narrowboat prop through the weed hatch. Edge so my arms are in muddy freezing water for as short as time possible, rope so that I can tie it to the boat and my precious knife doesn't vanish into the mud.
@roadtripper Have you considered a knife kit similar to this?

They're great in an offshore environment (and I'd most likely fit them) but they are of almost no use in a canal.

Offshore your risk is over running a rope and that has a decent chance of grabbing and slicing.

In a canal the bottom is literally inches below you, the risk is things like fertilizer bags or dense weed (hence why it's called the weed hatch) and that tends to catch the outside of the prop, wrap and then tighten meaning cutters don't get a chance.

I think some folks have tried the other design which is like a disk with a serrated bread knife edge.

The problem on the canal is that unless it cuts it perfectly every time you are going to have to get your hands in. The water is the density of coffee so you are working by touch, having razor blades mixed among it isn't ideal.

Luckily whipping the weed hatch off a narrow boat is, while often unpleasant, simple enough to do moored up while someone puts a brew on. Worst case you throw someone a line and they pull you to the bank. Loosing the prop half way across the channel is another matter, as is putting on a wetsuit and snorkel and going over the side under a boat in a running sea...

The start of this video shows the general fun of a weed hatch...

We start a shared note on our phones each year. Dead easy to update/edit. We add links to campsites or places that we’ve visited, total cost of trip, number of nights etc. it forms a complete journal of our year & allows us to share stuff with other campers when they ask where did you go/visit/stay etc. being a shared note, the legwork is split between us.

Back